NEW TO BIZ

nccottonhauler

Seasoned Expediter
HI EVERYONE. I HAVE BEEN CONSIDERING MAKING THE MOVE TO EXPEDITING AND I'M JUST NOT SURE HOW IT WORKS. I LIVE IN EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA BUT I'M CURRENTLY IN LUBBOCK TEXAS. I HAVE WORKED SEASONAL JOBS FOR THE LAST NINE YEARS DRIVING COTTON MODULE TRUCKS. I HAVE RAN IN STATES FROM NC TO NM. I DON'T CARE HOW LONG I STAY OUT. WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO CONSIDER WHEN LOOKING AT A PARTICULAR COMPANY.

THANKS

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Wellcome, Not to change the subject, but what is a COTTON MODULE TRUCK?

sorry for the edit hit the wrong button.

Well I would suggest you look around here before trying to figure out what company to go with. Take the time to read as much as possible and read the articles on the site too.

Others may add some more suggestions.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What Greg said. And, talk to as many drivers as you can, even if you feel odd going to a truck stop to do it. (Hint: don't approach any vehicle with privacy curtains up)
Read everything you can on this site, especially the "Newbie" and "Ask the Recruiter" fora, until you feel your eyeballs will fall out, and take note of the things you would ask any potential carrier. When you have the questions, call the recruiters and ask.
Plan to attend the MidAmericaTrucking Show, (usually abbreviated as MATS), March 22 & 23, in Louisville, Ky, if you can possibly get there. A portion of the huge Exhibition Hall is dedicated to Expediting, and there will be seminars, carriers, and vendors galore, not to mention the staff & assorted mods from this site - we love it, it's a blast!
Also, check the Home Page on this site, for upcoming seminars: they're quite informative, and free - an unbeatable combination, no?
Last, please check that the caps lock key is off on your keyboard, lol - all caps is considered shouting, and we haven't given you cause to shout, I don't think...Good luck to you! :)

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
greg
if im not mistasken,a cotton module truck can be a trailer or large straight truck that sort of resembles a dumpster on wheels,shaped so a bale of cotton will fit in it
happy new year

nccottonhauler

Seasoned Expediter
oops! sorry about the caps lock. as to what a cotton module truck is nightcreacher has the right idea. it is a 44 foot long straight truck with a tilting bed simular to a roll off trash truck only the bed doesn't detach. thanks to everyone for the replies!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I wondered about that, well here is a picture I took while in Alabama of these great big white bundles of cotton. Many northerners don't get where cotton comes from and they think that all of it is still picked by hand.

The quality of the picture is not the best.