New Technology and FedEx Custom Critical

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since this is now public information, do you think you would have time to post some pictures of the new unit Linda?

aileron

Expert Expediter
aileron with the Driver Tech the dome is very small and we have a whip antenna. I know that the new QC uses a similar system but I do not know yet how big the dome is I will let you know this evening after we have ours installed.
Thanks, I was just wondering if it needs another bracket and other holes drilled in my van that PJ don't seal right and then I need to go back and fix myself. I am not looking forward to this. Hopefully I get to have mine installed somewhere else other than PJ. I despise that place.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Unless something has changed in the last several weeks the new unit uses the same dome as the old unit and adds a second antenna for the wifi/cellular systems. The second antenna is about the size of a small Lunchables container with a small shark fin on top. There should be minimal drilling if you already have a system installed. The second antenna uses adhesive strips all around.

Last edited:

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Any word on how much new cabling is required or do the new pieces hook into the existing cables?

I'm curious because I want to prepare for whatever it is the installers are going to have to do and avoid a repeat of the mess PJ's made when they put my unit in originally.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Perhaps someone with electronic logging experience or knowledge can answer this.

One of the things Diane and I use our paper log books for is long-term data storage and reference. In other words, we keep our old log books on file at home. Two examples of how the old log books come into use months after they are filed are shown below:

1. We happen upon an old Walmart receipt that shows the date but not the store location. It is one that slipped through the cracks and did not get entered into our expenses spreadsheet in the usual fashion. With old log books, we would reference the date to determine our location and thereby be able to complete the entry.

2. We have not been audited by the IRS but if we ever were, the substantial deductions we took for per diem would be questioned. Our tax preparer has told us that if per diem deductions were ever questioned, our old log books provide the precise and accurate information we need to show the days we spent on the road, for which the per diem deductions were claimed.

When someone gets audited, it is typically for a specific tax year, and often for a year or two or more before the the audit date. When we stop using paper log books and thereby lose the ability to keep them on file and instantly access them when needed, will the paperless system provide us with the same ability?

Also, what happens if a contractor changes carriers? Say someone is with FedEx Custom Critical for three years under the new paperless log book system, changes carriers, runs with the new carrier for a year, and then gets called in for an IRS audit and finds oneself in need of log book information, say from three years ago, from a carrier he or she is no longer with. Would FedEx Custom Critical then make the information available to that former contractor?

A more general question is, how far back can a contractor access his or her old electronic log books and what provisions, if any, are made to receive and file all electronic log information he or she produces over the days, months and years? Since the logs are paperless, would all contractors need a computer to see their log books? What about those who do not use computers or do not know how to use them well? There are many.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Piper and aileron,

I will be able to tell you tomorrow what changes are required for van installation. :) , I believe Scott said I'm the first van (besides Terry's 'office van') in the fleet to have it installed, so I'll be the test case... I have an appt tomorrow afternoon.

They did tell me all wiring will be replaced, and for now, PJ's is the only place installing them, but as they have full rollout, there will be 8 or so (if I remember correctly) other places spaced out around the country.

Dale

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks Dale!! I want to try and do as much prep work as I can to try and make this as painless as I can make it.

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
re: IRS audits...we were audited for our first year in the business, and the auditor spent an hour or so leafing through our paper logs to verify our per diem deductions. She found it to be spot on correct and moved on. Without the logs, she could have (and probably would have) denied the entire deduction, which is significant.

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
We will be getting the new unit today and for us we welcome the change.

We were one of the ones that tested the Driver Tech system which is very similar to this new QC. There are several things that we are looking forward to. One is the the ability to send and receive messages on the unit while inside a building, getting fuel, or parked under a tree or near a building. We prefer to be on the QC and not on our phone as this gives us time to discuss a load if we need to before we accept or decline. Another bonus to the new system is you almost always get your load information in less then a minute. So no more waiting and watching the QC for the address to the customer while the minutes tick tick tick away.
We also look forward to finally being live on the EOBR as a team we found using the paperless logs on the Driver Tech to work in our favor and at the end of the day you certify your logs and you are done!
I believe the ability of FCC to communicate with the fleet will be much improved. We had several short clips on the Driver Tech with little updates on what is happening in the office and also changes that were being made. No longer will we get the outdated DVD's or CD's on what is happening.
There were several complaints on the conference call with Jason. This is also something that could be sent out on the QC and you could listen to at your leisure.
I know when we first started at FCC and we went to QC class and we were told how important communication was with them I laughed out loud. Even US Xpress had a much better unit then the time sensitive freight we were now being asked to haul had.
The new QC has many uses and has room to grow and change with the fleet and the new times ahead of all of us. The old QC is a dinosaur and it needs to be buried.

So, just what flavor is that Kool-Aide, anyway.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
One of things to keep in mind is that many of these rules are for a commercial vehicle and has nothing to do with FedEx making the rules.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh man, I just thought of something. We have our QC bracket mounted on the dash. I am going to have to take apart my entire dash board to remove it. Darn!! Now we will have four holes in the dash with nothing in them. Maybe they will forget I have an old unit? :( LOL!! You just never know what "change" will affect!!

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One of things to keep in mind is that many of these rules are for a commercial vehicle and has nothing to do with FedEx making the rules.

Which rules are you referring to? I am interested in knowing which are FMCSA regulations and which are rules designated by FedEx Custom Critical?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Been reading the new lease. The new fees that are being imposed are a bit high. $1092 per year more for TVAL trucks. We also assume all of the risk for the new toys. No increase in base percentage pay and most likely not in rates either. That is a big cut out of our bottom line. Not many choices either, accept the pay cut or don't run for FedEx. I will call my CC on Tuesday, not that it will do any good I am sure.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What is the other $16 per week for after the $5 QC "upgrade"?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Temp control stuff, new requirements. We are also responsible for the cost of installing the new equipment but will not own it.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I'm told if you paid to have the old system installed,there should be no charge for the new system.I'm just wandering where they will mount my QC so I can see the GPS.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm told if you paid to have the old system installed,there should be no charge for the new system.I'm just wandering where they will mount my QC so I can see the GPS.

Well, I bought the truck with it on, I paid for it. We shall see. I don't need another GPS, I have 3 on the truck now. This is getting expensive with no idea if there will be added revenue to cover these expenses.

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
Well, I bought the truck with it on, I paid for it. We shall see. I don't need another GPS, I have 3 on the truck now. This is getting expensive with no idea if there will be added revenue to cover these expenses.

Dang Joe, 3? You use them at the same time?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LOL!! Not really but sort of. We have been running Delorme Street Atlas on our laptop for most of the time we have been in business. That will not work right on this computer, we have no idea why, and we have been running Streets and Trips. Now we are a "betatester" for Rand McNally, we are testing the TND500. We often run Streets and Trips at the same time for comparison reasons. So far the Rand is winning hands down. Far fewer mistakes and truck friendly. Very accurate.

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
Ahh ok. My co driver at Schneider had the laptop Delorme setup going on. I liked the large screen and all, but it seemed about 25% of the time it had never heard of the address we were headed to.
Im greatly interested in the Rand unit and had planned on getting one until I found out about the GPS features on the new QC, so I've been hoping to see some feedback somewhere on how thats working out from those who are using it.