New Summer Recipe

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I had several people taste test this recipe at the Expo and everyone approved so here it is:

Fruit Salad with Yogurt Dressing
2 Gala Apples
2 Kiwi’s
2 Bananas
Bunch of seedless grapes split
1 med can of pineapple tidbits drained save juice
Raspberries to taste
Blueberries to taste
Blackberries to taste
Small bag of white miniature marshmallows to taste
1 single serving lite Danon French Vanilla yogurt
Sprinkle lemon juice on fruit to keep from turning brown
If fruit needs a little more juice then the yogurt provides add back in some of the saved pineapple juice

YarnDoll

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for a great recipe. It sounds so good. I wonder if some walnuts would go good in it too?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I also thought Walnuts would be a great addition to the salad but I did not have any in the truck.

Great to see you posting YarnDoll and I really like your screen name it is very fitting! You have a lot to share Jan keep it up.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So do you peel the apples and kiwis or just toss them in whole? Why are the berries to taste but none of the other fruits are to taste? What if you like a different apple like a Fuji?

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
LDB,
peel kiwi and banana. Leave peel on apples, or peel them. If you want more berries, or if you hate berries, then add more or leave them out!
With the high cost of fresh berries, it is better to make the bulk of the salad from less expensive fruit such as apples and bananas.
I love Fuji apples!! I am sure any apple would work just fine.

This recipe is the sort that I LOVE - a general guideline. Then you can use different fruits, and it will be slightly different each time!!

Linda, if I got any of this wrong, please correct it!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Nope you have it perfect you just beat me to it! Leo likes to make ALL recipes hard and does not care for the theory add a pinch of this and a pinch of that to taste!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Sounds great and the more fresh fruit we eat the better off we are. If you like spicy food or even if you just like cucumbers, this is a good side...I had a client from India that i had to make this for every week..he also would not eat any meat except chicken...while the recipe calls for grated cucumbers, i simply slice them thin, it gives you something to "bite" into...enjoy. and it does go well with spicy food or just as a snack or side dish:

Raita

1 cucumber, coarsely shredded ( i thinly slice) (about 2 cups)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups whole-milk yogurt
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Dash of ground nutmeg
Dash of ground cinnamon
Dash of ground cardamom
-------------------------------------------------------------
Place cucumber in a colander, and sprinkle with salt. Toss well; drain for 30 minutes. Rinse with cold water; drain. Place cucumber on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 5 minutes, pressing down occasionally. Combine the cucumber, yogurt, and remaining ingredients.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have found there are a few spices I do not like such as dill - coriander- cardamom

What do you think of making this recipe without the using the two spices above? The rest of the recipe really sounds awesome thanks for posting it.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
When i had a client that wasn't overly fond of alot of spices, i would use "Mrs. Dash Original"...it is a very good blend and it is always a hit...and keep in mind, use the base of any recipe and add things that you like, i have always believed that a recipe was nothing but a guide...:D