New starter installed today

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Our starter died yesterday. I called my local shop and they have a mechanic that contracts with them to do mobile work. They (2 mechanics) did an excellent job testing the electrical system and determined the starter was indeed bad as one of the connection terminals had corroded completely off of the starter housing. They also found that my battery disconnect switch was corroded as was one hot wire.
Removing and installing the starter was a real pain as it is in a difficult location.
Everything replaced for (including labor) $898.80. The starter alone was $490.
I think the price was fair considering a tow truck would have been $250.
Now I just have to wait and hope a fire doesn't break out.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

I'm sure it won't if it was hooked up right and all the wires where kept away from the wiper control arms. That is what caused the fire in our truck.

Sent from my PH44100 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I'm sure it won't if it was hooked up right and all the wires where kept away from the wiper arms. That is what caused the fire in our truck.

I hope not. After what happened to you I am staying alert and vigilant to the possibility of a starter fire.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Wiper arms and starter motor wires how are they even in the same vicinity? I can't wait till the end of Bruno's saga.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Wiper arms and starter motor wires how are they even in the same vicinity?

I can see a wiring harness running up there possibly,,Something inline with the ign system and someone trying to troubleshoot the system didnt wrap and secure the harness. When we think Starter motor cables, Just doesnt seem right that they would be routed up there.
But I dont know that for sure.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Wiper arms and starter motor wires how are they even in the same vicinity? I can't wait till the end of Bruno's saga.

On a Century the wires for the starter run under the wiper control arms that runs from the wiper motor to each wiper. Your thinking of the wiper arms that the blades are connected to. LOL

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Our starter died yesterday. I called my local shop and they have a mechanic that contracts with them to do mobile work. They (2 mechanics) did an excellent job testing the electrical system and determined the starter was indeed bad as one of the connection terminals had corroded completely off of the starter housing. They also found that my battery disconnect switch was corroded as was one hot wire.
Removing and installing the starter was a real pain as it is in a difficult location.
Everything replaced for (including labor) $898.80. The starter alone was $490.
I think the price was fair considering a tow truck would have been $250.

How can $898 be a fair price for a starter? What kind of vehicle? A Sprinter? I'm thinking 3 bolts (maybe 2) to bolt it on and 1 nut for the power wire. Obviously I'm missing something...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How can $898 be a fair price for a starter? What kind of vehicle? A Sprinter? I'm thinking 3 bolts (maybe 2) to bolt it on and 1 nut for the power wire. Obviously I'm missing something...

It wasn't just for a starter read the post again

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Last edited:

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
I did miss the part about the mobile install. Maybe I'm on a angry tangent about mechanics prices, I'm getting increasingly determined to do more of my own repairs. My guy back home doesn't charge too much ($75/hr) and yet when I get the bill my jaw invariably falls to the floor. He marks up fluids and then there's "shop expenses" and then there's the vacation he's planning to Fla next winter and then there's his boat payment (hehe stealing a little from the cartalk guys here).

Seriously, for what these guys get for a hard to reach part that takes them 2 hours to install, you or I have to pound the pavement (and suffer incredible boredom) for an entire day.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
This mechanic charges a $45 service call fee and $20 to fetch parts. His hourly rate is $70 and that is for him and his helper. They spent 1 hour checking out the electrical system, did a parts run and then removed and re installed everything defective. That took another 3.5 hours. All this while lying in the grass in my yard. They finished around 8 p.m. on Friday night. It would have cost about $1000 or more to have it towed and done at the shop. The starter was original equipment and we have over a million miles on it. I'm not happy I spent $898 but I feel they were fair.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh yeah, even the reasonable ones are expensive, and I've had a tough year or so in the repair department. But, they work hard and while it's tough when it comes outta my pocket, they need to make a good living like anyone else.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Now I'm wondering if it was a bad starter, kill switch or corroded cable that was draining my batteries? I guess I'll find out when we go back in service tomorrow.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

It is a ST not a Sprinter and if the starter is positioned anything like the one on my Century then it was a good deal.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Seems like you got off ok. Usually it is three hundred for the starter, three hundred for labor, $100 for tax, $100 environmental tax, and $200 for "shop supplies". ;)

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

What saga? Wiper control arms are near the wires going to the starter. If I can help other drivers and truck owners prevent their truck from being burned to the ground I will. By posting and sharing what I know may help others prevent a truck fire. We have lost two trucks to things that could have been prevented. One from a shop not putting a starter on our truck right. The other I can't post why as of yet for legal reasons. I will say this, when you lose a show truck due to things that could have been prevented, it makes you mad.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
A saga to me is an adventure some good some bad I feel your pain Bruno and wish you all the best in the end!

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
That price is very reasonable I have a m2 with a cat and the starter went out in Miami fl 120 from my house I got under the belly of the beast and took a look after survey I realized that the tools I had were not going to get it done,ido have a nice 2 pound hammer I smaced it once and got it started got it home found a starter and a mobile mech.
1 hour got installed and running the guy did a great job also checked all connections found a battery wire that was not connected from last battery install [TA] 2 MONTHS PRIOR.
paid 750 for every thing forgot to mention it was raining to beat the band the guy never complained you got a good price:cool: