New Looking to learn about Expediting

JustJen

Seasoned Expediter
Hello All!

I am new to Expediting... Meaning I have never driven expedite and am looking to get into the business.

I am 32, female, CDL A but have most of my commercial experience driving CDL B. ( I was a school bus driver for YEARS.) Never failed a drug test, have tons of defensive driving, can pass a criminal background check.

My questions are to those who may read this post...

1.) Why is it so hard to find expediting jobs solo? Without buying your own truck?

2.) Why can't companies team up solo drivers in the same area looking to do expedite?

3.) How is the percent rate usually figured? ( I was talking to a gentleman about expedite, he said the company he works for pays 45% he pays 15% to the drivers, the drivers pay fuel, QC and other expenses...etc.)

4.) How does insurance figure in with drivers if they work for a O/O and not the company directly?

5.) If you do decide to purchase your own vehicle, is it through the company? Or outside sales?

6.) ANY recruiters who may read this, laugh at me and decide, " Hey, this chick seems professional enough, I might have a job for her..", I scream " YESSS!! CALL ME, or email me at your preference.."

Please let me know... I AM VERY interested in driving expedite. My work career looks like this... drive, drive, drop off, pickup, drive and drive some more, until I moved to Tennessee and have only the oppurtunity to work in a factory sweating my female kahoni's off.... I am a driver, but don't like the big rigs... (I am way out of my comfort range with them.)

Thank you all!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm not a recruiter and I don't play one on tv but I have stayed at Holiday Inn Express. I'll suggest to you what I suggest to everyone who seems genuinely interested. Get your "degree" in expediting. By that I mean read back a minimum of one year in the general, newbies and recruiter forums. That doesn't mean every word of every post. It means read the title of every thread and for those threads that appear applicable to you read every word of the thread. You will learn a lot that way and find answers to questions you don't even know you have yet.

Solo is tough because of HOS limitations. Owners want teams in their trucks so the truck can operate pretty much 24/7 whenever possible. Some companies will pair individuals but that often leads to a short lived situation as they try to work together. Add the money situation and it's even tougher. Teams generally make about 1.85x what a solo makes. If that's a husband/wife so all the money goes into one bank account it's a workable thing. If it's two distinct individuals with individual bank accounts that's not so good.

The most common split is 60/40. The 60% side pays for the fuel and gets 100% of the FSC money in addition to the standard pay. The 45%/15% setup you mention seems very strange and I'd want more details on that. I'm used to the 60/40 and think that's the way to go. Normally the 60% plus FSC side comes out a little ahead of the 40% side, provided the truck has an APU so it doesn't have to idle all the time it's stopped.

Good luck with your research.

garyatk

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Jen... Welcome to the forums!

LDB hit it on the head!!!!

I am another newbie, wannabe. I have been reading the forums and talking to a lot of people for a couple years now. I have learned a lot, and it looks like my wife and I may be finally ready to jump in here in a few months. The reason we have waited so long is we have been getting our financial house in order, and preparing ourselves for a whole new lifestyle.

We are looking at this like we are venturing into our own business, even though we will be working for a fleet owner at first. Why? Because it is not like showing up at the school bus garage and "punching in" everyday. You will be running your own business hopefully at a profit, and you share that profit with the truck owner for their success is based on your success.

Our reasearch has shown us that we must build a certain amount of capitol so we can weather some storms that will come, and also finance our operation until the money starts flowing. We also intend on entering this lifestyle debt free, and staying that way even after we buy our own truck if that time comes. We have been waiting for a good time to sell our house so we can do just that, however I suffered a job loss a few months ago, and we are now hoping to sell it at a loss so we can move on and begin our new life.

I have spent my free time for a couple years gathering information, and as soon as the house sells (and we hope it will be soon) I will then start contacting fleet owners. I am waiting so I don't waist their time before we are ready to go.

So my advise to you is don't be in a hurry. Get your financial house in order, and get an education on this business. You have come to the right place to do just that!

I will also ask that if you are reading this post and your are a fleet owner, and are interested in talking to me, please leave me a PM. I'd love to hear from you!

Good luck Jen!!!!

JustJen

Seasoned Expediter
Hey all..

Thank you for responding. I have been reading the forums recently now gathering as much information as I can. I am making a plan to work for a company and within a year become a O/O. After that by a 5 year goal I want to become a Fleet Owner.

The advise you all give is wonderful. I thank GOD for good drivers as yourself and family members of dirvers who post to help us newbs in the business out.

Thank you!

Jen :D

JustJen

Seasoned Expediter
LDB,

The 45%- 15% split is this gentleman I was speaking to who is a O/O for Fed Ex. He was telling me that Fed Ex pays 45% at the dock, when you go pick up a load. After us drivers turn in the paperwork by the Wed, he, the Owner then pays us 15%. We pay FSC and QC, and basic maintance. He then gets the other 40%.

Does that sound fishy? I am back and forth right now with a recruiter for FED Ex, ( voice mail as of now) and I will be asking him this.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yes, it sounds fishy - why should you pay for 'basic maintenance', if you don't own the vehicle? :confused:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OK, that makes more sense. Yes, FedEx advances 45% to the truck once the pickup has been made. Paying another 15% once the paperwork is in makes up the 60% side of the split. Now, there may be (and very possibly is) more to it than this but one thing that immediately comes to mind is that so far we've only accounted for 60% of the FSC money. Additionally, and this is only my opinion, I don't think drivers should pay for maintenance or repairs on a truck they don't own.

There's an argument to be made over who pays for QC. It's mandatory for putting one's truck into the fleet. That puts it on the owner. It's necessary for getting and running the jobs that make you the money. That puts it's benefit on both owner and drivers. I don't think it's right for drivers to pay all of the QC but could see a 50/50 split of the charges since both sides are making money as a result of having the unit. Good luck.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
An argument could be made that the driver should pay for repairs, IF caused by said driver's negligence, but basic maintenance is the responsibility of the owner - and in his best interest, too.
The fuel surcharge should go to whomever pays for fuel, 100%. [Good catch, Leo - I hadn't noticed the FSC point.] :)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, I should have said routine maintenance and repairs. Drivers should definitely pay for any repairs required due to their negligence or damage. I don't think they should pay anything toward replacement tires or injectors or whatever.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We once drove for a fleet owner who paid us 60% and he kept 40% of everything. (FSC, tolls and additional labor). But he paid for everything except fuel. And I do mean everything. The only thing we ever paid for was fuel. We got the 45% loaded onto our fuel card at pick up and the rest when he got paid.
It worked out good for us and we had no complaints.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Hello All!

I am new to Expediting... Meaning I have never driven expedite and am looking to get into the business.

I am 32, female, CDL A but have most of my commercial experience driving CDL B. ( I was a school bus driver for YEARS.) Never failed a drug test, have tons of defensive driving, can pass a criminal background check.

Hey there.

My questions are to those who may read this post...

1.) Why is it so hard to find expediting jobs solo? Without buying your own truck?

First off think lifestyle.

The reason was already mentioned, owners and companies want teams even though teams are sometimes selective and the ‘dispatch’ systems are designed to help correct this by offering incentives for short runs or in the case of FedEx competing between trucks for runs – a questionable practice.

2.) Why can't companies team up solo drivers in the same area looking to do expedite?

There seems to be a liability with that idea and beside it isn’t their job. You know as a bus driver that there are people who just don’t get along so imagine having two people who are living in a 300 cu/ft box in strange places for days at a time. It is hard enough for married people to do this, so imagine strangers. Got a sister or brother who would go on the road with you?

3.) How is the percent rate usually figured? ( I was talking to a gentleman about expedite, he said the company he works for pays 45% he pays 15% to the drivers, the drivers pay fuel, QC and other expenses...etc.)

Each arrangement is different as much as each owner. There are owners who actually pay well, and people actually make their entire “career” driving for owners. While O/Os do sometimes take a back seat to fleet owners with some companies and don’t seem to do as well as they should.

[4.) How does insurance figure in with drivers if they work for a O/O and not the company directly?

Shouldn’t. Maybe workman’s comp or what ever it is called.

5.) If you do decide to purchase your own vehicle, is it through the company? Or outside sales?

I think only one company offered arrangements for purchase but I wouldn’t touch that. You purchase the truck from outside the company. Some companies want new equipment, while others don’t care. I side with the latter, because the owner is responsible for the truck, not the company.

6.) ANY recruiters who may read this, laugh at me and decide, " Hey, this chick seems professional enough, I might have a job for her..", I scream " YESSS!! CALL ME, or email me at your preference.."

They do read here, wish they would get more involved but alas they don’t.

Please let me know... I AM VERY interested in driving expedite. My work career looks like this... drive, drive, drop off, pickup, drive and drive some more, until I moved to Tennessee and have only the oppurtunity to work in a factory sweating my female kahoni's off.... I am a driver, but don't like the big rigs... (I am way out of my comfort range with them.)

This isn’t a job or a career, but a lifestyle. You don’t drive, drive and drop off then pickup. It is more like wait, wait, wait, drive, pickup, drive, drop off, drive, wait, wait ... wait some more. Unlike mainstream trucking where you will get 2500 miles in a week just because you have 48/53 feet of space and have a pulse, this is ALL about being in the right place at the right time. Some of the skills, like relocation skills no longer apply because things change and it is more or less luck that drives a lot of us now. Skills being frugal and professionalism matter more.

As for fleet ownership, I would be careful for what you wish for. You have to first get into a lot of good financial habits, like knowing about contracts and so on. I give this advice, and it seems to be working for those who listen.

1 – get the right people behind you. Find an accountant and a lawyer and build a relationship with them before you have to go to one with a problem. The accountant will help you make proper business decision, setup your business that limits your liabilities and watches you as you progress. Do not go to or depend on financial planners, rv’ing expediters and so on. Lawyers are as important, you need to establish a relationship with them so not to have to explain all the things you do while you are sitting on the side of the road after an accident in order to get advice. A perfect example is Leo’s issue with his engine, if he had a lawyer, then I think his outcome may be a lot different. Another perfect example is an accident that happened to a driver a while ago, the company told them what to do which limited the companies liability but screwed the driver who lost everything. The company doesn't care about you, they care about their customer and their liability with that customer then the regulators.

2 – as mentioned, get your financial house in order, and your personal life. It is far far better to become the most dependable person for a fleet owner/company than to just be a driver. Having to deal with problems at home cuts into everything.

3 – when a driver, always work under a contract. Don’t trust unless you can verify and you can’t verify without a contract. A contract protects you as much as the owner. Going back to point #1, have a lawyer look at the contract and explain it to you. Let him/her find your liabilities and limits to protect you.

4 – do not become energized over or with FedEx, they are NOT the best company for Solo people. I would select three or four (at least) and start with that. Build a list of questions and then ask those questions to them – WRITE THEIR ANSWERS DOWN and then ask for a list of people you can talk to outside of the recruiter. This will give you a pretty good idea of what is happening, what to expect and what to prepare for. The most honest recruiter that I ever met worked for E-1 but left to go onto bigger and better things. I have yet met anyone close to his caliber and honesty and from my meeting a couple of them on the road recently, I would follow my advice carefully – carpet salesmen they seemed to be, if you know what I mean.

5 – Don’t think that because Joe has a fleet, built his fleet starting as a driver that it will work for you. Times are changing, again and will some more. Fleets may look good as money makers and companies love them because of the commitment but tying into one niche market with specialized vehicles may not be profitable in the long run. Goals of making money should be last on the list of goals. Some here claim to be successful while they only work for one company and having one truck while the real success comes from learning and using that knowledge for everything business. I learned that this market is limited, and moved into another part of the industry which is better suited for long term growth without the long term establishment needed as in this market. Something to think about.

AS for going back a year, I would think that would be a good idea but some of what I read from your comments, you already have formed some opinions and it may not help.

Hope that all helps.