New lease agreements?

Special K

Expert Expediter
During the conference call, while talking about the new Qualcomm stuff, it was mentioned that we'd be getting new lease agreements to sign. Not another word of explanation, no other information. I take it, from the timing, that he meant when we have the new equipment installed. Any idea why we'd need a new lease agreement for that?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Does the new stuff cost more? Maybe that is it. We could not here that call. I wish I could have.

Special K

Expert Expediter
Just FYI, the new system will also include truck-specific GPS, even current-time, such as closure of a road, if I understood him right. That would be a good thing, in our opinion. However, those of us who have spent $500 or so for an almost-new GPS would probably rather stick with what we've invested in and keep the extra $5, but it's not optional.

Special K

Expert Expediter
For the ones who didn't hear the conference call, here's some FYI -
The first 3 new Qualcomms have already been installed. They'll do the incoming folks first, and gradually include everybody else. They expect to do about 150 per month, intending that they'll all be done by the end of the year. At first, PJ's will do all of them, but they expect to expand to, I think he said, 6 or 7 "satellite" (oh, the pun! groan...) places around the country that will do them. We won't have to go to HQ for any training; there will be tutorials enough in the system. The scanners (for sendng BOL's directly to the company) aren't getting started at first; he said that would have "delayed implementation". By the time it's all done, we won't have logbooks, and no more TripPak. Times change, and us "old dogs" better get ready to learn new tricks.
Considering that they still haven't worked all the bugs out of the "opportunities" system, one can't help but wonder about the potential for some major disruptions in getting started...but we'll just wait and see. If there's one thing for sure, it's that it's human nature to resist "change", even when it's for our own good. The ones who just can't, or won't, adjust will have to "make another arrangement", because they're not making anything about it optional.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If we can scan documents (customs stuff or BOL's) then I won't grumble about the extra cost, however...if the big selling feature is GPS and the ability for FX to send out "videos" instead of mailing CD's then I will detest seeing the extra $260 a year being paid as the benefits to me will be nil. There was mention of limited trucking specific internet access....what that means who knows but I somehow doubt that will be included in the extra $5 a week. If it means automated departure calls...I will GLADLY pay the extra. In December alone I spent 180 minutes on hold for departure calls.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Send an email to your CC or CR discussing how much time you spent trying to do a departure call. There is no reason that I know of that the system cannot be tweaked and standard departure calls could be automated on the C-Link instead of using our phones.

I see no difference in using the C-Link to send in information then in calling into the VRU and that call being automated!

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
In an effort to keep business costs down, I have a cell phone plan with only 1 friends and family number which allows me to call home without using my 500 min. plan. When I am placed on hold for departure calls, if the 5 min. mark is reached, I clink a request to be called and hang up. I keep a lot or reading material at hand and can sit in the shippers lot until the phone call is received. I have never had a problem from the other end.

Back in the day (1989), we were not required to lease the Clink. however anyone with a clink would move ahead of you. I was one of two van in my home express center. He refused to get a clink, I had one. I would take a 200 250 mile run and return home and get another one the next day while he would sit. Drove him out of Roberts Express but he "stuck to his guns"

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We have no use for the gps part, we have had on on the truck for years. While we are already able to scan and email documents this system, once it is up will make it faster and much less of a hassle. My mind is not yet made up on the Elogging but there is no way around it. I think there might be issues with things like trips to the store, idling etc. Do you have to log in to idle the truck? Like when you wake up and run the defrosters? I am concerned that this might get a bit silly, but that is just a feeling.

As to the long departure calls, that is getting much worse lately. 10 minutes is more the norm than the exception of late. Most of our runs require a call, they cannot be handled on the VRU. It would be nice if the new Clink would fix that.

Special K

Expert Expediter
The question of automated departure calls was not addressed at all. As for the long waits, he did apologize, and explained that a new group of - I assume dispatchers - anyway, people who will answer the phones - were hired last November, another bunch had just started training(guess that would be mid-Jan), and a third group will be coming in late Feb, or maybe first of March.
At first, the "Internet capability" will only be the Extranet. (He did not say anything about any other capability, including video games, in the call I listened to.)
It will certainly give us all a lot to talk and write about, that's for sure!

Special K

Expert Expediter
Joe - worry not about the "running the engine question". The e-log function will "kick in" after the vehicle has traveled 7/10 of a mile.

Special K

Expert Expediter
It occurs to me that some people may be concerned about having to have a scanner, picturing a big printer-size thing, and the room it will take up. Terry O'Connell showed us his; it's about the size of a box of aluminum foil, but round, so no problem with bulk.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We already carry a scanner and printer on the truck. Having a direct link to FedEx will make it better. We will still need to carry them, for other than FedEx work. Glad to hear about the 7/10th thing, one more question answered. I have mixed feelings about the E-logging, mainly because of things I don't understand or have not got answers to. Like, trips to the store etc. What happens when I am home and run the truck up to the shop for a DOT? Things like that.

I am sure that we will get used to it, we do everything else. I do hope that as they work on the HOS that they put back in something for team drivers.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I believe one if the limited internet functions will be email capability with a user specified list of people. I'm not positive but think that's in the works. I also imagine the new lease is to cover the higher QC cost.

Departure calls are one of the BIGGEST warts on FX's nose. It is ridiculous and almost inexcusable to force such an unprofessional requirement on operators when far better technology is available not to mention that in all other areas FX is far more professional than that. It should be a major embarassment to FX to be known as a departure phone call company.

Special K

Expert Expediter
I sure do agree with Linda that there's no difference (that any of us can see) between doing the automated VRU call and a Qualcomm fill-in-the-blanks macro. With the IT capabilities FedEx has, there can't be anything difficult about creating a new macro - maybe they could re-use one of the now-defunct ones that we used to accept or refuse offers with the previous system.
It's not like this is a driver conspiracy against the company! We just want a better, more convenient, and more professional way to do something. Sending e-mails to CC's, leaving suggestion messages on the VRU (option 9, option 4) seem more pro-active than just grumbling among ourselves. The company claims to be open to suggestions for improvement, so let's suggest!

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I was with Alltel 'til Verizon bought them out.Verizon doesnt have a plan equal to mine,and they are trying to get me to switch to the Verizon plan.I have 11 numbers on my circle,and My free time also starts at 1900 hours,Verizon doesnt have anything like that,especially for what I pay,and by the way,my first two numbers on my circle,the number we all call to get dispatch to answer the phone,and the number they call me from,put me on hold.I don't care.

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
I don't know how it will be for Elogging on the new Qcomm but I talked to a driver from another company that used such a system and the question of personal miles was a big one for me. Their system allowed them up to 30 minutes of personal driving, but then required an 8 hour wait to have another 30 minute personal drive allowance. This means, at least to me, that if the Wallyworld is over 15 minutes away from where I'm sitting, I can't get there with enough personal time left to return unless I sit 8 hours. It also means that I can't drive over 30 minutes to reach a mall or movie theater at all. This to me is unacceptable as how far I drive MY truck on MY time is MY business, not the company's. I intend to have a power cut-off switch installed so that when I want to drive my truck for personal use I can simply power down the C-link and not have it tracking my time.

Oh, BTW, Layoutshooter, from a technical standpoint driving the truck to the shop for a DOT even if you're home on break is "work related" mileage and time. You should log the time as on-duty driving, and on-duty not driving while you wait for the inspection, then driving again for the return home. Note I said technical, because I doubt anyone really does it that way.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Doug, when your Qualcomm powers up and the mileage it see's from the engine ECM doesn't match the last mileage it saw from the ECM before it powered down........do you think the QC will send a little error msg to safety? I'd bet that these new units are a lot smarter and more tamper or "screw around with" resistent that the old ones.

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
Piper, you may be right. But I'm going to do all in my power to insure that I retain my personal freedom to use my vehicle LEGALLY. If FDCC wants to restrict my freedom to use my own vehicle on my own time for my own purposes, then perhaps they should make me an employee (after having bought my truck from me).

Does anyone else have a problem with this? I haven't seen much discussion of this absurd rule so far. How do others plan to shop, eat, movie watch, etc. without starting their 14-hour clock? If powering the system down isn't an option, that is.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Does anyone else have a problem with this? I haven't seen much discussion of this absurd rule so far. How do others plan to shop, eat, movie watch, etc. without starting their 14-hour clock? If powering the system down isn't an option, that is.

Diane and I do not have a problem with this but I understand how solo drivers could. Teams have two 14 hour clocks to work with and two people to do the driving. Solo drivers have only one. We have never worried much about starting a 14 hour clock since the other driver can drive if the first runs out of time.