New Husband and Wife Team, looking for advice and information

atravelingman1

Rookie Expediter
We wanted to take a moment to introduce ourselves, I am Jeffand my wife’s name is Angie we both have our class A CDL’s with HAZMAT and Tanker endorsements, our TWIC card and passport card. We spent a couple of years runningtemperature controlled OTR freight to include High Value loads across the lower48 and Canada. Roughly 8 months ago we came off theroad to care for a family member in need.

After the passing of our family member we have decided toventure into the expedited segment of the trucking industry. We have beenrecently approved by FedEx CC and will be starting with a local fleet owner thefirst of April 2015.

We would welcome any advice or information from fellowhusband and wife teams working with FedEx that could help us in our preparation.Or from those in the expediting industry in general no matter the company.Thanks

dalejrroks

Active Expediter
Best advice I could give you is the same that was passed to me. Read all you can on EO. The are so many great and information packed threads, articles, and blogs on here with more coming everyday. Also talk to other drivers you meet out on the road and maybe even more so fellow FedEx CC drivers. I think they would be the best ones to give you the best ins and outs of the carrier you are with. Also ask to speak with other drivers with your fleet owner.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I would say do a lot of research on Expediters Online as this website can help someone as yourself new to expediting better than any other site on the web. There are so many things you can do right or wrong in this business. Reading on Expediters Online can help you avoid the things you don't want to do. I've been in this business twenty years and I still learn new things everyday from the information I read on Expediters Online. I get on here three or four times a day to read new things from many different members. This website wasn't around back in 1995 when I started and it has help our business so much since it started in 1998. All I can say is welcome to Expediters Online and gather as much information from it's forums and it's members.

Reactions: Lawrence

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Welcome to Expediting! It is a world of its own and as far as I am concerned the best segment of trucking.

Always be ready to roll as loads are offered at the darndest of times and usually that happens in the evening.

Talk to other expediters and learn to sort the positive people that are helpful from the ones that only want to feed you stories or who only want to complain.

Form a network of people that will help you to quickly learn the freight lanes for the type of truck you will be driving.

Ask questions of all expediters at all companies especially when first learning to secure freight. There are some really slick tricks to securing freight.

When asking where the best places are for freight ask questions of people who are with the company you are leased to and drive the same type of truck. If you are a dry box asking a reefer where to sit is not a good idea usually.

Take time to enjoy yourself. This does not mean dead head miles and miles to see the sites but if you are in a special city go see it. Rent a car and get out an enjoy.

Reactions: Lawrence

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
We wanted to take a moment to introduce ourselves, I am Jeffand my wife’s name is Angie we both have our class A CDL’s with HAZMAT and Tanker endorsements, our TWIC card and passport card. We spent a couple of years runningtemperature controlled OTR freight to include High Value loads across the lower48 and Canada. Roughly 8 months ago we came off theroad to care for a family member in need.

After the passing of our family member we have decided toventure into the expedited segment of the trucking industry. We have beenrecently approved by FedEx CC and will be starting with a local fleet owner thefirst of April 2015.

We would welcome any advice or information from fellowhusband and wife teams working with FedEx that could help us in our preparation.Or from those in the expediting industry in general no matter the company.Thanks

best advice I ever got, "never, never, ever believe anything on the internet"

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
Will you be in a dry box or a reefer/TVAL truck? There is quite a difference between the two. We have only ever been in a TVAL truck. I don't know if I would really call what we do "expedited freight." More like "specialized freight", not unlike what you mentioned in your intro post. Be glad to answer any questions along the reefer/TVAL/life on the road line.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
You guys already have most of the experience you need. The main thing that might be new to you is picking your loads. Have a nice long chat with your Fleet Owner about what loads to except and where to go and not to go. Because expediting is an on demand service,load selection is very important. Tough to get loaded in some areas. Being a Team will help a lot. Like others said, talk to other teams as well whenever you can. I must also say be careful you don't get to picky as well. Busy time is between 10 am and 6 pm. But be ready to run anytime,you could get a good offer at 2 am. Also I have got up and left many a meal cause I got a good run picking up ASAP. Your ambulance drivers now. With your experience you will catch on fast.

Last edited:

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I would say do a lot of research on Expediters Online as this website can help someone as yourself new to expediting better than any other site on the web. There are so many things you can do right or wrong in this business. Reading on Expediters Online can help you avoid the things you don't want to do. I've been in this business twenty years and I still learn new things everyday from the information I read on Expediters Online. I get on here three or four times a day to read new things from many different members. This website wasn't around back in 1995 when I started and it has help our business so much since it started in 1998. All I can say is welcome to Expediters Online and gather as much information from it's forums and it's members.
Thanks for the props Dave!

Reactions: Bruno

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to Expediting! It is a world of its own and as far as I am concerned the best segment of trucking.

Always be ready to roll as loads are offered at the darndest of times and usually that happens in the evening.

Talk to other expediters and learn to sort the positive people that are helpful from the ones that only want to feed you stories or who only want to complain.

Form a network of people that will help you to quickly learn the freight lanes for the type of truck you will be driving.

Ask questions of all expediters at all companies especially when first learning to secure freight. There are some really slick tricks to securing freight.

When asking where the best places are for freight ask questions of people who are with the company you are leased to and drive the same type of truck. If you are a dry box asking a reefer where to sit is not a good idea usually.

Take time to enjoy yourself. This does not mean dead head miles and miles to see the sites but if you are in a special city go see it. Rent a car and get out an enjoy.

Solid information - Thanks Linda!