New HOS Rules are out

ATeam

Retired Expediter
That was my point! These amenities made it possible for you and millions like you to become truckers. When I started in trucking it was rare to see a woman trucker. Now I would guess that women make up nearly 30% of the OTR workforce. Does this make you and others that have entered this profession, because of new technology and amenities, the dregs of society that are diluting the labor pool?

It all depends on how you use the word dregs and what you consider real truckers to be.

More to the point, the technologies mentioned above that make it easier to drive a truck and live on the road, and the shift in the trucker population you mention, show in yet another way how adding technology to a truck reduces the skills (and raw strength) required and expands the pool of people who can potentially drive it.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
What is wrong with you ?
i never heard of a triplex before.
this is sick to the bone.

How to shift twin sticks ( B model Mack) - YouTube

Moose,I learned in a 57 mack with a tri plex,3 shifters,2 for trans 1 for rear end.By the way ,my second truck I ever owned had 2 sticks.Six speed tranny with a 4 speed browning,that were all over drives.Thats what was called a Texas 10 speed.Have no idea how fast it went but had to get to 100 mph just to be in 5th gear and 3rd over drive.was never able to do 6th gear and 4th over drive,truck didnt have enough horse power.

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
When I started in 1977,we had no air conditioning,no power steering,and you drove in a cab over with you sitting next to the motor.Also,since you sat on top of the front axle,you felt every bump in the road.Oh ,yes,no air ride either.These cab overs were called were called widow makers,as driver was the first to the accident.Fords cab over was known as a cracker box.This was before 1978 when, Ford came out with the cab over with all air ride,chassis and cab.Back then driving a truck was just a job.Was actually hard work.You would drive all night, and then get the privledge to unload the trailer when you arrived at the delivery location.This is why you didnt find many lady truck drivers.Much different today.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It all depends on how you use the word dregs and what you consider real truckers to be.

You used the word dregs in conjunction with society. The "dregs of society". Most would take that to mean undesirable or worthless people. You also introduced the term "real truckers" to this thread. Please define "real truckers."

More to the point, the technologies mentioned above that make it easier to drive a truck and live on the road, and the shift in the trucker population you mention, show in yet another way how adding technology to a truck reduces the skills (and raw strength) required and expands the pool of people who can potentially drive it.
More to the point? That was my point and I believe I stated it twice! But thanks for reiterating it. I feel so validated!

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Yes Nightcreacher, women weren't out there. I started semi driving in 1976. 100 lbs, 26 yrs old. Learned to drive a 63 kw with three sticks. Women could not get a cup of coffee served to them if not accompanied by a man - they were assumed to be for hire chicks- I was run off the road several times and told on the cb I should have been home, not taking a man's job. My ex was in the sleeper when I drove. A 290 cummins. No a/c, no working guages, hauled plants and produce to New York City where you had to pack a gun to keep from getting hijacked at Hunts Point. Then office furniture back to Fla. From the Bronx. Very dangerous. Showers at truckstops were nasty. There was Secondi brothers in CT, then Hightstown MD, then the savannah 76. I95 wasn't finished. I drove straight thru from Sanford Fl to Houston Tx back in the day. Scale guys weren't jerks unless the driver was just plain lawless. Cabover freightfinder and cabover farmalls I drove. Retired in 81, real estate career, back to driving in 2003. Much, much has changed.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Ps. In 79, one month after my first was born (csection) I was back in the truck, baby and all. Unloaded plants and produce with him strapped on my back. The day he started walking I exited the truck. I can't believe I did any of that now!!!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Way cool MissKat! You are truly one of the pioneers that lead the way for women getting into trucking. Even today women encounter flak from their male counterparts and the general public, but nothing like you experienced back then. Never did Hunts Point, the old Chicago Water Market was enough for me. I assume your reference to "cabover Farmall" is to the Transtar 4070. We called them corn binders or binders for short.

You've got 3 or 4 years on me but I've got 90 pounds on you. I wimped out after 20 years. The last 13 years in LTL payed very well but I had enough of the b.s. After 15 years in a cargo vans with power steering my left arm is still bigger than my other one is, and I'm right handed.

You ain't one of those "dregs of society" mentioned earlier in this thread. I'm still waiting on a definition of a "real trucker", a term that was also brought up earlier in this thread. You certainly meet my definition of a real trucker. Keep on truckin' girl.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Wired thing happened today.
i found Moot's truck !
it was right here in the TA, restored to a new condition, hauling a matched hours trailer, with a cute dog watching it.
you can see that this is a work truck, in used daily or so.
after never seeing or even imagining such a thing, i was like,
sure it is a trisept mack, with tween sticks, oh i know exactly what am looking at...
very cool !

i took 5 pictures with my Iphone, went back to my truck, grabbed the digital camera, but when i cam back, the mack was gone...
i still have those pic.'s but am not smarter then my smart phone, so have no idea how to post them into EO.
help ? anyone ?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
wolfeman68 You are right more miles more money and what is wrong with more money less miles? Instead of asking for more work lets ask for better pay.
Hitman will put you in a brand new Volvo and as a company driver get 62cpm.Only need 1600 miles a week to make a 1000 pay,oh they also pay hourly after driving to destination,and being a company driver you get all benifits.They are also hiring teams too

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
When I first started,the company I worked for had 3 lady drivers,the guys were always giving them a very hard time.I dated a lady Roadway driver for a short time,when she would get home,the drivers would flatten the tires on her car,she finally quit

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
when i first started,the company i worked for had 3 lady drivers,the guys were always giving them a very hard time.i dated a lady roadway driver for a short time,when she would get home,the drivers would flatten the tires on her car,she finally quit

union thugs!!!!

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
This is the exemption for DoD but this does not cover everything that requires Dual Driver Protection:

The final rule requires that if more than 8 consecutive hours on duty have passed since the last off-duty (or sleeper-berth) period of at least half an hour, a driver must take a break of at least 30 minutes before driving. To address an issue raised by commenters, FMCSA has also added an exception for drivers of commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) carrying Division 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 explosives to allow them to count on-duty time spent attending the CMV, but doing no other on-duty work, toward the break.

So what they are saying is if your load can blow up keep driving your safe you don't need any rest unlike the guy with that load of car parts lmao tell me again how does this make the road any safer???

boonsdad

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
7 (3) Why is a team driver limited to counting 2 hours in the passenger seat as off duty?
This rule continues to require drivers to take 8 consecutive hours in the sleeper berth, and allows them to take an additional 2 hours in the passenger seat when the vehicle is moving, without artificially confining them to the sleeper berth for the entire 10-hour period. This provides team drivers an opportunity to “keep the truck moving” by having driver A drive for 10 hours while driver B obtains a full daily rest period without having to stay in the sleeper berth for 10 straight hours. Driver B can take 8 hours in the sleeper berth and 2 hours in the passenger seat to accomplish the required off-duty period. Then the drivers may change positions and keep the truck moving. This reversal pattern could continue until either driver reaches the maximum limit of 60 or 70 hours on-duty in a 7 or 8 day period.

From Questions & Answers

Does this mean that teams do not have to take the 30 min break?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Does this mean that teams do not have to take the 30 min break?

If you read that language alone, it could be interpreted as that but my guess would be that the 30 minute break rule still applies. The language cited above is from a Q and A document, not from the reg itself.

I'm wondering if shippers of secure freight will figure out that they can ship a tiny quantity of 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3 along with whatever else they are really shipping to make it possible for a team to be exempt from the 30 minute break requirement and to secure the freight 24 hours a day. Carriers might get around to providing the service themselves. Put your secure freight on our trucks and we'll supply the boom-boom item that makes it legal to placard the truck and enable teams to provide secuirty 24 hours a day without taking the mandated FMCSA break.

What's that called again, unintended consequences?

Last edited:

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
People are complaining because they have to log the break instead of taking one and not logging the time of 30 min. Most will either not log the time or claim 15 min., that's why.

Most were complaining that taking a hour off a day was going to make them go broke, but the FMCSA changed it to a half hour and still the sky is falling.