New Ford Van

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I just got off the phone with a close personal friend.
His company will be hauling the new product to dealers. (One of two carriers involved.)

Very soon.
He is opening a terminal and getting ready to domicile drivers.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Visited my local Ford dealer Monday morning. They have all the specs to order a new van. Claims they'll be out in June, this year! He would only guarantee a September delivery because he stated that large fleet orders have priority. Fleets like FedEx and UPS get theirs first. (Probably because there all white and all ordered the same). Said we could place an order for my van and try to prioritize the order. Problem is, they have absolutely no pricing! He agreed to order my van with a refundable $500 deposit and would sell me the van for "dealer invoice" when it arrived. Said he wasn't worried about me not taking delivery because he liked the way I wanted the van and would easily sell it.

Thinking hard between the Ford Transit or the Chevrolet with the Unicell 14' CW body. I think cost would be close, can't have either one until at least June, but I'm thinking the Ford with the gas Ecoboost may get the better fuel milage. Comments are welcome!

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Funny thing that Ford did was rate the 350 srw chassis at only 9,500# and the drw at 9,950. Seems that the weight of the extra tires and wheels would take away any possible gain in weight carrying capacity. They do also have both lighter and heavier weight versions. I'm only concerned with the under 10,000# versions for what I'm using it for.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
People will say that never buy a first year model. I disagree with that for the most part (other than buying used is cheaper). First year tends to be over engineered in many respects, and then the vehicle gets decontented. I saw this first hand by working in a Toyota plant for 4 yrs.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
People will say that never buy a first year model. I disagree with that for the most part (other than buying used is cheaper). First year tends to be over engineered in many respects, and then the vehicle gets decontented. I saw this first hand by working in a Toyota plant for 4 yrs.

Especially when the Ford is NOT a first year van.....first year being built in N/A yes.....but the model and technical stuff has been proven elsewhere......even the Promaster is NOT a first year van...

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm hoping the delays are because they are working hard to get it right. Not because of problems! I'm leaning towards the Ford because of the fuel milage and that's it looks a bit less "commercial".

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm hoping the delays are because they are working hard to get it right. Not because of problems! I'm leaning towards the Ford because of the fuel milage and that's it looks a bit less "commercial".

scarey thing is Bill.....it was a great van over the pond.....what the heck are Fords engineers doing to it???>....why change what worked?.....all they had to do was switch from right hand drive to left hand....

Promaster didn't seem to have any problems.....

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
scarey thing is Bill.....it was a great van over the pond.....what the heck are Fords engineers doing to it???>....why change what worked?.....all they had to do was switch from right hand drive to left hand....

But.....but....we can do it better!........:rolleyes:

sent from my Galaxy S3

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
But.....but....we can do it better!........:rolleyes:

sent from my Galaxy S3

from the scuttlebutt at the plant and the common worker it sounds more like an ego battle between the American and European engineers.....the Americans want to put their mark on the model and take some of the glory....a very prevalent American quality.....LOL

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Well emissions standards are vastly different but don't think that would account for it all. Delays are OK if it actually produces results.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well emissions standards are vastly different but don't think that would account for it all. Delays are OK if it actually produces results.

I can understand Fords not wanting to rush this out there....they have invested alot of money probably billions of dollars.....on a plant makeover and training the people to everything involved is a massive undertaking.....on this venture...and no one wants to be in the target zone if something drastic like a MAJOR recall were to happen.....

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

They are using existing proven engines on the North American Transit. I don't see why the emissions would be a huge problem. They also are claiming its going to be the best riding and handling van that Ford has ever built. Dealer guessing that the 3.5 Ecoboost should get 21+ mpg. As good or better then the F150 pickup with the same engine, due to lighter weight and better aerodynamics. Cost difference between regular natural aspirated engine and twin turbo Ecoboost is less then $900 and should produce better milage over the natural engine when loaded heavy. About 1 mpg less when empty.

I owned a 6 cylinder Trail Blazer that got 19+ empty but only 10 at best pulling my snowmobile trailer. That's where I'm hoping the turbo engine helps, not lose so much mileage because of having so much more torque. Make 90% of full torque way down at 1,900 rpms. 5,000 rpm red line on that engine. 350-360 HP.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Went to a Ford dealer and they now have all the pricing and specs. This is the real specs. Just over 14' of rear cargo space. This is the longest and tallest Transit available.
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1397074438.910843.jpg

Last edited:

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My fake order window sticker. Orders placed today are 14-16 weeks from delivery.
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1397074491.681871.jpg
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1397074504.611320.jpg

Last edited:

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And the weights and capacities as I outfitted the Transit. Curb weight 5,510 and payload of 3,930. Add me and my junk and payload of about 3,000#
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1397074644.866246.jpg