New Federal requirement for CDL drivers

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
and while we are at it how come trump don't make all the mexican operated trucks take back a load of illegals with them?Seems like a good way to make mexico pay for the return of their citizens.they just need to build a holding pen at each weight station parking lot.

They are implementing it already.
Did you hear of that sprinter van carrying some dozen illegals in KY (? was it).
Ohh, wait... it was Expediting drivers getting some much needed loads north.

I thought that was in TN and were human traficers. but your correct probably just some expediters tired of waiting in laredo

Reactions: brokcanadian

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
I didn't read this whole thread, but I'd imagine the reason they're doing this is has to do with taxes. There were probably some states that had relatively lax identification requirements to get a CDL previously, and there were foreigners getting CDLs under false or assumed identities, then going to work for companies as contractors. Then they'd get an IRS form 1099 showing they were paid tens of thousands of dollars, but no one would ever file taxes on it, and they were impossible to locate.

Just off the top of my head, many states standard ID requirements for a driver's license would accept a foreign birth certificate, and didn't previously require proof of citizenship(not sure this is still the case), so if CDL requirements just allowed a state ID in order to get a CDL, it wouldn't be difficult to obtain. I recall at least 1 state that, around 15 years ago was still issuing licenses that were just a paper card with a picture glued to it, then laminated. I don't know if/when all states changed to the newer hologram DL's.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This seems just beyond stupid. I've had my CDL for 30 years. And now they want my birth certificate :dash2:

Things are getting better and better... it reminds me of the mid 30's Germany... and the sieve started to sift... ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums