Forum Tip New Features of the Forum

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Want a Friday load? I just got offered a Pittsburgh to NYC run. 1700 lbs, delivers in Manhattan. How would I unload it? Nobody in Manhattan has forklifts or Hi- Lows. If a building even has a dock, that means a dock-high truck. And don't even get me started on the cost of tickets! Obviously I said "no way".

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No, it came across, and it was funny. :D

My reply was simply my own smart ass way of noting that while most of the forums on EO welcome and even encourage such humorous comments, the Web Site Support and Services forum isn't really one of them. This forum, not unlike the Tax Topics forum and a few others, is more focused, more businesslike, announcements and problems, get it solved, get in and get out.

But at least through my smart assness I conveyed some information about the Thread Prefixes that some people might not be aware of. :cool:

(and right on cue,while I'm typing this, someone makes a post that perfectly illustrates my point. Can't make it up. Thanks xmudman. :JC-hysterical:)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thread Tagging - allows threads to be tagged with keywords and phrases (3-50 characters). They apply to the entire thread rather than individual posts, so they are listed at the very top of the thread. Tags are clickable and searchable (Search -> More -> Search Tags tab) and will result in a page displaying all content that has that tag attached to it. Currently the limits are for 20 max tags per thread, and 5 max tags per user. I added a couple of tags at to this thread so you can see what they look like if you're curious. When you add a tag, after typing the first 2 or 3 letters, a popup shows existing tags beginning with those letters that you can choose, if you like.

You can add (and edit) tags to your own threads, as well as add tags to existing threads. You can also manage (edit, delete) tags added to threads you started that others have added. If you see a thread that needs a tag or two, even an old one, please add it. (The first time someone posts an inappropriate tag on someone's thread, the ability to tag existing threads goes away for all but the thread starter.)

Tagging in the Media Gallery is generally limited to tagging your own media. However, if you try and tag someone else's media, that member will receive an alert so they can approve or disapprove the proposed tag.

Two-Step Verification - We now have two-step verification for logging on. Hands down the best way to protect your account and your passwords. Two-step verification, also known as two-factor authentication, requires you to provide two pieces of information to login. The general form is expressed as "something you know and something you have". "Something you know" is your password. "Something you have" is the new part. You may have seen this with other services, such as Google accounts.

Members may opt-in at any time after they have registered, if they so choose. It's not a requirement that you opt-in. You can later disable it if you wish. Enabling it increases security at the expense of a slightly more complex login procedure. There is a link under the Settings in your profile page, and one on the popup when you hover over your username on the menu bar. For a lot of users, like those who mostly just lurk or only have a few posts, "value" of their account is low so the slight hassle may outweigh the benefit. However, if you use the same password here on EO as you do someplace else, or you frequently use public WiFi access, it's something to strongly consider using.

Once enabled, you'll receive a code via an app on the phone or in an e-mail. Verification via an app is preferred, because if an attacker has access to your account, they may also have access to your email. If you don't have a smartphone then e-mail is the way to go, obviously. To use the phone, you'll need to install an app such as Google Authenticator or Authy (and a barcode scanner app is highly recommended, but not required). (I have two-step authentication turned on for Google, and I used the Google app. It's real easy).

You enter that code to complete the login. You don't have to enter the code every visit, and it doesn't mess with the "Stay logged on" check box that keeps you logged in. Except, every 30 days you'll have to get another code sent to you and then enter it. Takes like 5 seconds. When you enter the code, you are "registering" your device for 30 days.

If you lose access to all of your two-step verification methods (such as your e-mail address is no longer valid, if you choose that method) backup codes are generated for this exact situation. If you lose your phone or your email is no longer valid, the backup codes will still work. However, this does require printing them out or saving them once they're generated,so do that. If you still have access to your account, you can disable two-step verification as long as you know your password (password is required to enable or disable two-step verification). As the last resort, an Admin can disable two-step authentication for you.

Media Gallery - This is just a reminder and to list some of the features. Isn't used much, yet, but it's a full-on media gallery where you can upload pictures and videos into any of the predefined categories or create your own albums. Created albums can be public or private. Members can invite specific users to be able to view and/or use their private albums. Items from your media gallery can be embedded into posts.

Current limits in the Media Gallery are:
50 MB total storage
1280x1280 pixel size
2 MB file size for pictures (png, jpg, jpeg, jpe, gif)
20 MB limit for videos (avi, m4v, mov, mp4, ogg, webm, wmv)
Videos can also be embedded into the Media Gallery (and into posts) from YouTube, Vimeo, Liveleak, Dailymotion, Facebook and Metacafe.

Profile Posts - Profile posts can now be "Liked". They are fully searchable now. They can be reported.

URL Page Title Conversion - If you insert the URL using the link icon on the edit menu (which you should be doing, generally speaking, because it wraps the link with the [URL] brackets)...

http://www.expeditersonline.com/ (and usually www.expeditersonline.com without the http://)

gets converted to

Expedited Trucking Owner Operator Careers and Truck Sales

It won't automatically convert to title while you're still in the editor, but clicking "More Options" for a preview will show it. And not all links will automatically convert, and If a link uses something other than the URL as the anchor text, it will not be converted. But most links should convert.

You can override the conversion by editing the blue highlighted text in the editor and replace it with whatever you want.

Reactions: Lawrence

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
On your Personal Details page in Preferences, to accommodate people who are not either a Driver, Fleet Owner or an Owner/Operator, the newly available options are listed below. An associated banner will be created with each choice, except for 'None of the Above.'

Driver
Owner/Operator
Fleet Owner
Fleet Manager
Carrier Management
Dispatcher
Safety & Compliance
Recruiter
Broker
Industry Supplier
Retired Expediter
Still Doing Researching