New Expediter

NewTrucker48

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello, I am in the process of downsizing from 18 wheeler driving to either straight truck or sprinter/cargo van expediting and running into trouble finding actively looking fleet owners to sign on with to start the process.

I’ve been driving trucks since 2012 and currently have 6 1/2 years of experience. How do I go about finding looking fleet owners with Vans/sprinters/straight truck?

Home time is not important. I enjoy staying out on the road. I am single, without any human kids and expenses are food, phone, and “misc of 100.00” it’s just me and my German Shepherd.

Just looking for information and assistance. Thanks

Reactions: Hotrodder

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
With your experience, you should realize that the the freight market can be a fickle place. Cargo/Sprinter van freight is plentiful; however the availability of Sprinters is more plentiful than the market can realistically accommodate, particularly for drivers inexperienced in that market. You would likely have to be a solo because of the dog and that can be a problem for drivers seeking financial stability. I think a Straight truck is your best bet. But again, your solo with a dog opportunities are limited with truck owners that prefer teams for maximum revenue. I think that, if you are serious about stepping down from the semi, you should try to get your own straight truck. There are many ST owners in expedite that started out looking for an affordable ST on this sites classified section. You should also consider taking time off to attend the Expedite Expo that is advertised on the home page. There you can meet and greet many O/Os and truck sales opportunists. You could also attend the workshops that will help you decide if this expedite thing is for you. Good luck with your search and your choices.

Reactions: drizion and Grizzly

D1964

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Is more vans than freight, price for loads is bad, thanks for El cheapo's "that driving 55-65 cpm

Reactions: Hotrodder

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I would suggest you go in a straight truck and consider Landstar. Solo's seem to do very well at Landstar in a straight truck. Contact Don Van de Leer to ask questions. Here is his direct line (904) 390-1183‬

Reactions: NewTrucker48

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you’re without wife and kids, just a dog, and no real debt, I’d suggest you buy your own vehicle, whichever you prefer, be it straight or van. Why work for someone else?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Tomcanes007

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Quick question just got into the expediters business started this week got a load from grand rapids to dallas but i was stuck there for 2 days decided to do an empty move to memphis. Yall think this was good idea?? Also whats the farthest i should do empty moves and what would you recommend doing if you were in that position??

Last edited:

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
You are new to this veil of tears so we would wonder why you seem confident that Memphis is a better spot for you and your carrier than Dallas. It will take you a while but for the time being you should try to guesstimate your cost per mile and with that number you can decide what loads are profitable and also determine when and to where it would be profitable to deadhead for the nest wait. Your carrier would be your best bet to determine the best layover spots; lacking that, talk to us and drivers with whom you might network. It would be helpful to know your carrier and your truck type.

Reactions: davekc

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Quick question just got into the expediters business started this week got a load from grand rapids to dallas but i was stuck there for 2 days decided to do an empty move to memphis. Yall think this was good idea?? Also whats the farthest i should do empty moves and what would you recommend doing if you were in that position??

My advice, don’t move around blindly.

I assume you have a dispatch. Ask their advice over anyone else.

But, in the long run, most important, keep good notes. Over 6 months you’ll learn where the good paying places are, and where you stall out. This information will tell you when to deadhead and where to go.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Tomcanes007

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Well my dispatchers were telling me to move even further north around missouri or indiana so i kind of recklessly made the decision which kind of worked out got load in the memphis arkansas border to indiana last night. Next time ill ride it out as all is a learning experience. And iam driving a ford transit and working for Bolt. And i have been taking notes too. Appreciate the knowledge though.

NewTrucker48

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
UPDATE

A few days after posting this I was contacted by a fleet owner who runs mostly straight trucks and they set me and Champ up for orientation. Drove to orientation last week, did the drug screen and DOT physical and just stored all of my things and Champ into new ST and waiting for first load!

NewTrucker48

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last night picked up my 2nd load that delivered at 6 this morning. Non stop trip! Pulled my first all nighter in expedite! Champ tried to stay up with me the whole drive but he went to sleep off and on. He is still catching up on sleep. More sleep time for me

NewTrucker48

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
It’s been about a month since I started and since my last post. I am still expediting but now me and Champ are currently in a Sprinter Van! I really like how it works. Basically in and out; and I do not have to worry about HOS, DOT, or weigh stations. Really freeing. Champ is adjusted to the sprinter van and when not carrying a load to drop off he has more space to stretch out and lay down or even run back and forth which is hilarious to watch. Oh, and I can go to Walmart and other stores without worrying about anyone giving me the boot for being in a truck!!!

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It’s been about a month since I started and since my last post. I am still expediting but now me and Champ are currently in a Sprinter Van! I really like how it works. Basically in and out; and I do not have to worry about HOS, DOT, or weigh stations. Really freeing. Champ is adjusted to the sprinter van and when not carrying a load to drop off he has more space to stretch out and lay down or even run back and forth which is hilarious to watch. Oh, and I can go to Walmart and other stores without worrying about anyone giving me the boot for being in a truck!!!

That was fast. Did something happen to bring on the switch?

Reactions: Grizzly

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Interesting..... Without knowing anything about myself or the life I live you assume I’ve made the wrong move? All due respect, don’t do that. Thanks!

I know that you're motivating factor is not money ... and that's all we need is another "lifestyle" vanner.
Welcome to the club. You'll fit right in ...

Reactions: jcoppman and Solar