New Driver - Now having MPG Issues - Questions??

busop1

Seasoned Expediter
A new driver just started driving a straight truck for me as I am considering a second truck for wife and I.

In 2500 miles driven he is getting 7.5 - 7.7 MPG

I personally drove the same truck for 6000 miles prior to him and I got almost 9.5 average MPG. Worst tank I ever got was 8.6 MPG driving 75 mph on a load when pressed for time. Best I got was 10 MPG on load driving 59 mph. I also drove it like I had an egg under the pedal when accelerating and so on. It was also bit warmer weather when I drove the truck maybe average of 10-15 degrees warmer??

Also there is an APU on the truck and I used it as needed but not excessively. Of course I don't know how much he is using it at this point.

Also just before he started driving the truck I had it serviced at a SpeedCo and had fuel filter changed and water separator changed.

Questions

Could there be anything to do with changing the filters that would adversely affect the trucks fuel economy??

Or is the new driver just driving the dog **** out of the truck??

Any suggestions??

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
New driver is probably it. He could also just be letting it idle and that sounds to me like it.
Most new drivers think the governer is the place to run a diesel. That's not the way anymore.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If it's a manual,he could using the wrong top gear.

Or try releasing the parking brake !

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Our fuel mileage usually increases slightly (.25 to .5 MPG) when we change fuel and air filters.
We also use Howes Meaner Cleaner to help keep the injectors and fuel system clean.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Does he pay for the fuel? I'd guess probably not and that's the likely answer to your question. After trying it for 2 months I'll never again have a driver who can't pay for fuel. Good luck.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Go to your driver..eye to eye....show him the numbers....he either gets the mpg's up or you rewrite the contract and he pays the fuel..or he can find another truck.....as it is now, he is sucking all your profit margin out the tailpipe....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Go to your driver..eye to eye....show him the numbers....he either gets the mpg's up or you rewrite the contract and he pays the fuel..or he can find another truck.....as it is now, he is sucking all your profit margin out the tailpipe....

The above MAY be a good idea as long as the truck itself has be eliminated as being the problem. I would hate to tick off, and maybe lose, an otherwise good driver only to find out it was a problem with the truck.

Having the driver pay for the fuel, and receive 100% of the FSC, is also a good idea.

If it is a totally new driver a little, constructive driver training goes a long way.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Have there been any odd charges? Such as fueling twice at the same truck stop on the same day.
I once had a driver offer to put $400 of fuel in my tanks for $300 cash. Said he needed the cash because he couldn't withdraw any off of his fuel card.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Most likely bad driving habits.if he was idleing excessive or stealing you would see much greater difference than that.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
He may just be driving like a nascar driver trying to impress his new bosses.
May be a combo of things. The above plus air charge system leaking or something.
If you could team a load with the driver that'd be great. Discuss the issue after you see his driving habits. Also,discuss what you did fuelwise and how important profitability is to BOTH of you.
Rather than change the contract,challenge him to beat your MPG with a bonus of the fuel money saved over your numbers.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Also there is an APU on the truck and I used it as needed but not excessively. Of course I don't know how much he is using it at this point.

Any suggestions??

Do APUs not come with hour meters? I would think they do but I don't have one so I don't know.
If not installing one should give you some sort of idea that may help determine if he is using it or idling the truck..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do APUs not come with hour meters? I would think they do but I don't have one so I don't know.
If not installing one should give you some sort of idea that may help determine if he is using it or idling the truck..

Both my old and new APU's had/have an hour meter.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
My fright liner m2 has an engine running time meter in the menu on the in dash metering hrs running as well as trippg etc....

AdisGT

Active Expediter
I just recently have had a similar issue with one of our units. This particular truck was running a dedicated lane from Mi to Tx, always using the same route and weight didn't change. We also have another four trucks running the same lane, the truck/driver that was causing issues was about 25% less efficient than the rest of the four trucks. That would accumulate to be over $300.00 weekly, I checked the truck myself to see if there was anything obvious, I found out right away that the clutch fan was always engaged. It was kind of sad that my driver never noticed any change in trucks performance, however I am glad I did. Just look over and see maybe you have the same issue as me, good luck

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Could be a lot of things from the truck to the driver. Giving the driver the benefit of the doubt I would put it in a good shop and do a dyno and ecm dump. All of those questions from high speed, excessive idling, to truck performance issues. Could be a bad fan sensor, bad air filter, bad turbo or waste gate, fan hub, air charger leak, and so forth.
For two to three hundred dollars, you will have your answer which is fairly cheap considering the current cost of fuel.