New DOT physical qualifications start May 21st

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I think the point is that there is no proof that "improper" physicals are a problem or dangerous.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Exactly. How much is "improper physical exams" vs faked certificates, ginned up by the drivers themselves? Seriously, how hard would it be to 'create' a DOT physical on your own computer? Or steal some genuine forms?
If the problem were really about bad doctors doing bad exams, it'd be simple to solve: discipline the docs. But clearly, that's not the problem needing to be fixed.
And the 'fix' penalizes the wrong people.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Has anyone received a notice / memo from their carrier about this yet?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

It would be in a carriers best interests to keep the contractors informed....even tho ultimately it is the contractors responsibility to keep informed....Just as fleet owners should be concerned as well....for a sudden loss of a driver due to new guidelines.....

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just got my new 2 year card. Price was $206 old card about $80! Doc. spoke about new liability, etc. other then that same old thing. Except the size of the card is one third bigger, maybe so Leo can read it easier.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Just got my new 2 year card. Price was $206 old card about $80! Doc. spoke about new liability, etc. other then that same old thing. Except the size of the card is one third bigger, maybe so Leo can read it easier.

Are you a big boy or normal sized?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Exactly. How much is "improper physical exams" vs faked certificates, ginned up by the drivers themselves? Seriously, how hard would it be to 'create' a DOT physical on your own computer? Or steal some genuine forms?
If the problem were really about bad doctors doing bad exams, it'd be simple to solve: discipline the docs. But clearly, that's not the problem needing to be fixed.
And the 'fix' penalizes the wrong people.

I would actually rather have them connect the medical certificate through the DMV so that I don't have to carry the card around. We might as well use the technology we have and it will limit fraudulent cards. The next issue will be when a driver stops carrying the card but the DOT officer can't verify that it is valid. I was advised during a recent inspection in NM that I should carry the card even after the change. The answer to my question was "If my officers can't verify the physical what are we going to do?" He seemed to imply that the driver would be stuck.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

Some states sent out letters saying that you had 4 weeks to turn in the physical or they would suspend the CDL portion of your license. NY was one of them and luckily I made it home with 5 days to spare otherwise my license would have been suspended and I wouldn't have known. They wanted this done weeks before the deadline which seems like it must have caught a bunch of people off guard. One of the drivers at my company had to get a rental car to go home because his state did the same thing. Then to top off this whole mess they postponed the deadline.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I would actually rather have them connect the medical certificate through the DMV so that I don't have to carry the card around. We might as well use the technology we have and it will limit fraudulent cards. The next issue will be when a driver stops carrying the card but the DOT officer can't verify that it is valid. I was advised during a recent inspection in NM that I should carry the card even after the change. The answer to my question was "If my officers can't verify the physical what are we going to do?" He seemed to imply that the driver would be stuck.

Linking the med cert to the license is fine, it's the limitation of practitioners who can do the exam that rankles, and requiring them to obtain additional 'education' because it increases the cost to drivers dramatically. If some doctors were the problem, why weren't they being identified and disciplined?
BTW: the same thing happened to me, when my exam was due for renewal: I found a notice in the mail warning that if the exam wasn't reported to the Ohio BMV, my CDL would be suspended. It could have easily happened, had I got the exam wherever I was, [out of state], because my regular doc doesn't do them, and I hadn't got the mail. I'd have been shocked to hear from a LEO that my license had been suspended.
Seriously: is DOT's real mission to make as many drivers look as irresponsible as possible?

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Linking the med cert to the license is fine, it's the limitation of practitioners who can do the exam that rankles, and requiring them to obtain additional 'education' because it increases the cost to drivers dramatically.
At least that's just once every couple years. What's worse is applying restrictions over and above what the FMCSA lists as the restrictions, because you never know what they could add next if they get away with this one. The medical community has talked about again redefining normal BP, this time to 120. That's going to eliminate a lot of drivers.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
For us older people it is the opposite. They want to RAISE the numbers before we start taking meds, not lower them. I have NO idea what the DOT dudes will do with this.

New Blood Pressure Guidelines Raise the Bar for Taking Medications

That's fairly recent. The FMCSA lags behind. I'm betting it will take quite some time--years or even decades--for the FMCSA medical regs to catch up.

And they're still only taking about raising the bar for when medications become involved. They still call 120/80 normal for adults regardless of age, when it's becoming apparent that the older model--that "normal" should take into account vein inelasticity as one ages, meaning someone 50+ can't be expected to have the same BP as an athletic 20 year old.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
120/60 was considered the "norm" when I was in EMT school so many moons ago. The 80 is a bit on the high side, for old school that is.

As to medical people knowing, there was a time, not all that long ago, when it was taught that high blood pressure was good. Who knows what will be next?

I do know one thing for sure. As I have been losing weight, thanks to my Styrofoam and freeze dried water diet, my BP has been slowly going down. I have to watch it does not go too low. It has been getting down where I don't like it. DR may have to adjust my meds.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is also not only the "gross numbers" you are used to seeing that matters. The ratio between the two are very important and CAN give warning to developing problems. The difference it called the "pulse pressure" and 40mmhg is considered to be "healthy".

Pulse pressure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

interesting page, you can enter your BP for info

Blood Pressure: 106/67 | What Does My Blood Pressure Reading Mean?

OR

You can type your BP into Google, say my BP is 190/99 and info will come up. (that is assuming with a BP of 190/99 you live long enough for it to come up) LOL

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

It wouldn't even take a computer or any kind of theft. Physical forms are available in truckstops. Somebody could fill it out, make up a doctor's name and turn it in. It wouldn't be an issue until there was a serious accident. When ever I've handed my card to a DOT officer they barely even look at it. The registry should help to cut down on this type of fraud.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It wouldn't even take a computer or any kind of theft. Physical forms are available in truckstops. Somebody could fill it out, make up a doctor's name and turn it in. It wouldn't be an issue until there was a serious accident. When ever I've handed my card to a DOT officer they barely even look at it. The registry should help to cut down on this type of fraud.

Like there is ANY federal program out there that is not full of fraud. Here is what happens with more federal intervention. Prices go up, availability goes down, quality goes down, fraud increases and the intended goal, in this case healthy drivers, is never reached.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Like there is ANY federal program out there that is not full of fraud. Here is what happens with more federal intervention. Prices go up, availability goes down, quality goes down, fraud increases and the intended goal, in this case healthy drivers, is never reached.

I totally agree, that's why I said "help to cut down" and not "eliminate".

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I totally agree, that's why I said "help to cut down" and not "eliminate".

You have more "faith" in the process than I. My belief is that the fraud, costs etc, will drastically increase. From what we are hearing in here, the cost is already going up. We also know that the "pool" of available doctors is smaller. That will also help to drive up cost and there will soon be a "waiting period" to see a doctor. No more just dropping into the clinic and waiting your turn.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
that "normal" should take into account vein inelasticity as one ages, meaning someone 50+ can't be expected to have the same BP as an athletic 20 year old.
But, um, well - I do. Last check [in March] was 120/80, and I've never taken meds for hypertension.
I like healthy food [but I really, really like some bad stuff too], I try to exercise [not very much, though], and I salt everything except bacon [which is one of my favorite foods], so I don't know why my BP is at least as good as a slacker half my age....
And apparently, no one knows why some who make much greater efforts have high blood pressure. Considering the profit in the meds, I bet no one is trying real hard to find out, either. :rolleyes: