new digital q.c

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
who else has one?
best feature?

what else would you like?
i would like to know how many vans are in the area. i mean ours and theirs. if there are 27 vans(if you are independant the alliance site will tell you this) within 50 miles for 5 loads i am mooo-vin.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I didn't get one. I ended up with a suitcase model. I wasn't so happy at first, because I don't like so many extra things that have to plug into my limited number of outlets. I also very much don't like anything extra bouncing around on my dash. The dash stays clear in my truck. But now as I eyeball this thing.... I've been thinking about adding an extra roof vent. Since this whole qc set up is portable I think I'm going to put the antenna in the vent, so I have a low profile roof antenna something like I think Terry had done in the past (if I remember correctly). There is plenty of cable to run just like a permanently mounted system. And I can install an extra dedicated outlet (with switch for stealth mode) under one of the seats.

I can stick with the bare bones, monochromatic qc features if we were to get access to real time online resources like board postitions, fleet maps, driver stats...

eb

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I was told I needed to have the old changed over, but it was on a monday and they were doing the new orientation peoples units. So since i live within 5 miles of the office, whenever i am in town, i have stopped in and ask if they want to change it out....3 times last month, I still have the old one.....BUT, iam ok with that! When they told me I had to change it , i told them i am too old to learn to use the new, especially since I just really am ok with the operation of the old one without the "cheat" sheet............:D

NOW, if they tell me i can find to position of my van and any other units within a given radius of my location and how many loads a day get out of the location I am at....then i'll sit at the office till they install the new one............

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Back to this relatively old topic. I've come to realize that this portable unit I have in the vehicle is a cell phone model. At least that's what it appears. I can park inside and under places and not lose the signal which is nice when looking for shade. I can also put the antenna under my seat and have a signal. I do lose my signal in pretty much the same places I lose my phone service, so I do lose contact with HQ from time to time, but not for that long of a stretch (if I'm not out west). Are the new models like this or do they work on the line of sight satellite connection?

eb