new coffee maker

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
the old reliable coffee maker that I had bragged about a few months ago quit working in Nov,during a christmas shopping adventure at beds,bath and beyond(I think thats the chain) I found a cusenart maker,stainless steel pot, 4 cup with out the standard on off button to break,just push and start,auto shutoff after 10 min., for 29.95 also bought the permenent filter for 6 bucks more. It has been working out great,no glass to break and fits nicely into our sleeper on a shelf behind the tv. There have been dicussions in the past about good makers and I think if you are in the market for a new one you might be pleased with the cusenart(sic),I thought they only made food processors!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Bed Bath & Beyond Product

Does this look like what you bought? It looks very compact and easy to use and to clean. My undercounter coffee maker just does not make good tasting coffee and I know it has to be because it gets road dust inside of it. Pain to keep clean.

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
Linda,
Thats it !! I wasn't sure of the chains name , we are pleased with the performance so far and the permenent filter is easy to keep clean. why are good coffee makers so hard to find,that last more then a few months,anyway. Thats why we didn't bring this one up before this, wanted to see what happened after about six months but so far so good-keeping our fingers crossed.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Just a little fyi If you have a coffee maker, try not to keep it plugged into the inverter. Some coffee makers end up burning out the controller when left on an inverter. It happens when you start your truck, the inverter does not shut down but goes into a brown out state.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
My wife uses a coffee press from Williams Sonoma Store. She puts the coffee in the press pot, heats the water in the reactor in a separate cup, pours the hot water into the press, push down on the handle, and presto changeo there is coffee. She says it's as good as perked coffee and better than instant. I wouldn't know, I hate the stuff.

XCountryTeam

Seasoned Expediter
I thought I'd add a quick note to this. After going through several pots at home and in the truck. We found a great one that makes good coffee. Its made by cuisinart (its not compact) its also a thermos. Once its done brewing, it turns off and I unplug it. The coffee is hot for the rest of the day. I have even dumped it out the next day and it was still stemming.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Leo,
You're starting to scare me :p

Seriously, I got a tour of an apartment on wheels that the owners had an espresso machine and one of them $700 pod coffee machines - they felt if they were going to live on the road in such rough conditions, then some sort of civility is needed in their little 110" apartment on wheels. Those million dollar RVing expediters, got to love them.

I am wondering why are people go through so many? Is the heating element getting cracked by the vibration?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just a little fyi If you have a coffee maker, try not to keep it plugged into the inverter. Some coffee makers end up burning out the controller when left on an inverter. It happens when you start your truck, the inverter does not shut down but goes into a brown out state.

oh my Greg..what a pain that would be, having to reset the clock every time you unplug it! ;):rolleyes:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Greg, I have to make a certain number of posts in this forum or suffer the consequences. I'm gonna at least have a little fun while working on my quota. I don't drink the stuff at all but if I did the one that's direct into the mug looks good. One less thing to clean afterward.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Leo,
You're too serious ;)

Don't drink coffee? are you a tea man? You know tea was the drink of an empire?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Tea is just as awful as coffee. Dr. Pepper. Waco's finest. Nuff said.

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
Don't know how you do it Leo..gotta have my
coffee 1st thing every morning, or whenever
I wake up

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've had 4 cups of coffee in my life, during college. I had to get up at 5 one semester for a class at 7. I had one black, one sugar, one cream and one cream and sugar. It didn't matter how loaded it was with stuff, it was still nasty. The combined cup was so thick with sugar the spoon would stand up and so thick with milk it was barely tan. It didn't start that way. I just kept adding thinking maybe I'd get to the point where it became tolerable. Nope. It's ew ew icky poo no matter what you do to it. I just stick with my d.p. now.