Need thoughts...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am about to enter into a puzzle...

this is the last year I can take the mileage deduction, 2012 I will have to use actual expenses...I just can't in my mind come with the over $50,000 in deductions to replace it....

I was thinking of buying one of them Ryder sprinters with low miles like 50-70 K..and sell my old one...I have about 5-6 years left in the biz...whats your thoughts?

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Why cant you use the milage deduction?

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I was able to claim a little over $18k in depreciation on 2010 taxes. Next year goes down to 6k then 3k. Takes me from a loss to a gain. So, gonna add a vehicle and start the clock on it.

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
That is one of the reasons I am buying a new truck, without it, my deductions aren't enough to continue the loss....and besides, you would look good in a hgher, longer Sprinter.....:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is one of the reasons I am buying a new truck, without it, my deductions aren't enough to continue the loss....and besides, you would look good in a hgher, longer Sprinter.....:)

I don't want a new one...I don't want to go $45K in debt...I think the low mileage Ryder for $20-25k for another 05/06 is the way to go...it should give me the 5 years I need till I retire...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I was thinking that Ryder was rolling out the 07-08's now that they can get the 11's....aren't the 07-08's bigger then 05-06's?

and another point to consider, how fast are you looking to do this?? I know you are considering a new paint job on the current Sprinter...do you want to invest that much and then replace it next yr??

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was thinking that Ryder was rolling out the 07-08's now that they can get the 11's....aren't the 07-08's bigger then 05-06's?

and another point to consider, how fast are you looking to do this?? I know you are considering a new paint job on the current Sprinter...do you want to invest that much and then replace it next yr??

I was thinking about the paint job...but after confirming what Katz said here with my own accountant...the pendulum swung my attention towards this problem...I'd have to do this in Nov/Dec...to start the next tax year of 2012..
Dennis I am not looking at bigger...the 05/06's are just fine....besides I like the 22-25 mpg they get...18-20 mpg just doesn't cut it...to me anyhow.;)
I just can't see where to find $50,000 in expenses...heck I only spend $15-17K in fuel..that leaves a lot of wiper blades and light bulbs...*lol*

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I guess you could just "Stripe" the old van now and then replace it in Nov, Dec and the start over with the "little" logos for a while again!!! :D

But then the "plan" is to stripe bith the old van and a "custom: stripe" package on the new van the 24th, so...i am probably messing up a "delay" for you striping a new van....:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess you could just "Stripe" the old van now and then replace it in Nov, Dec and the start over with the "little" logos for a while again!!! :D

But then the "plan" is to stripe bith the old van and a "custom: stripe" package on the new van the 24th, so...i am probably messing up a "delay" for you striping a new van....:D
That darned stripe always comes into play doesn't it?*L*

Actually the 07/08's are having very little problems now and parts are available and a few extra inches wouldn't really hurt any...

Last edited:

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I am about to enter into a puzzle...

this is the last year I can take the mileage deduction, 2012 I will have to use actual expenses...I just can't in my mind come with the over $50,000 in deductions to replace it....

I was thinking of buying one of them Ryder sprinters with low miles like 50-70 K..and sell my old one...I have about 5-6 years left in the biz...whats your thoughts?

I have to go with Dennis on this Ken. Keep your old one and get a good used one and put a driver in it. Anyway, that would solve your "stripe" dilemma.:D

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Steves Idea works for me, you know the deal I have going...all it does is put money in your pocket and get someone into the business...and gets 2 trucks "striped!!:D

Oh, if you put someone in the old one, I wouldn't paint it just a really really good detail and "stripe" it....

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Some recent studies show the stripe takes 15lbs off of you and makes the average sprinter look 2 years newer. :D