Need New Engine at 185k miles? (6800 total hours due to idling)

Fisherman

Active Expediter
Driver
Hello,

My 2020 Ford Transit (gas engine) has it's check engine light on and is shaking when idling. The mechanic I took it to said it was due to carbon build up in the engine and they did a fuel induction service. It helped the the shaking a little bit but not much. And the check engine light is still on. He said I may need a whole new engine. Does that sound right? I never would have though I would need a new engine before 200,000 miles. However, I do sleep in it often as it idles and I have 6800 total hours of engine running time.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, at 50 mph 6800 hours would be 340,000 miles. I don't know if there's a specific correlation between idle hours and comparative miles. Idling is really hard on an engine. A generator and a roof a/c are a good investment usually. Good luck getting it all sorted.

Reactions: Fisherman

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Many things can cause a multiple cylinder misfire. I'd spend more time finding the root cause before considering the nuclear option.

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
Run some Hot Shot secret Stiction Eliminator and Gas Extreme in it and it should help with carbon and rough idle.
Used Stiction Eliminator and Diesel Extreme in my 2006 Sterling and had 1.5 million miles and never replaced a injector in 7 years. Use Stiction Eliminator and Gas Extreme in my others and no issues as well.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I did some searching for Ford 3.5 Ecoboost misfire and there are a ton of reasons. I'd skip the snake oil and find someone to diagnose it properly.