Cargo Van Need info concerning expedite brokers

J.D Smith

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
US Army
Ten points is a good company and very nice people. Only thing is that you have to see what works for you personaly and if you have more in life than living in a van. Because only down fall with haveing a exclusive contract with a carrier is you limit yourself alot when they cant get you loaded for what you need to do for your own life. Not saying the other companys can just saying that you are giving yourself a biger door and more chances. If you just want to run for one company and dont have anything else or have other things you have to deal with then Ten Points is a good company to run for they are polite and will work with you in matters that they can. Just saying they will not leave you starve to death if things are slow they do care.

Reactions: Jim Tropf II

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't have a Dog in this fight ... but I prefer a Big company that works WITH me ... that said i have 3 friends that are barely holding on in the Multi-carrier van segment ... when freights running good they do well ... they run for the non-inclusive carrier name being thrown around plus 2 others ... when freights Slow ... They are starving .... just my 2 cents worth

Sent from my SM-G900M using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: scottm4211

J.D Smith

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
US Army
I don't have a Dog in this fight ... but I prefer a Big company that works WITH me ... that said i have 3 friends that are barely holding on in the Multi-carrier van segment ... when freights running good they do well ... they run for the non-inclusive carrier name being thrown around plus 2 others ... when freights Slow ... They are starving .... just my 2 cents worth

Sent from my SM-G900M using EO Forums mobile app
Right now i truly dont think it matters if you run multi or excludivly for one. Bottom line is the bottom feel out. And hopfully once some of the regs for the manufactors are lifted by Trump things may start picking up again. Right now the regulations that Obama signed in on are manufactors and EPA laws is a big part of the problem and affects so much in a doniemo aspect. Until something is signed in to remove some of the regulations we are at a idol

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Maybe the expedite industry should be regulated more, eliminating those that don't have proper insurance, carriers and brokers that are reselling the loads, and those that carry over their GVWR. I welcome government intervention.

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EO Forums mobile app

Yes and no.. Thought we already had regulations against some of that?
How can we enforce new ones?
Be careful for what ya ask for when the Gov gets involved.
I'll agree for sure the carriers should be policing themselves and protecting the work.

Reactions: Opel2010

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe the expedite industry should be regulated more, eliminating those that don't have proper insurance, carriers and brokers that are reselling the loads, and those that carry over their GVWR. I welcome government intervention.

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EO Forums mobile app

I'll agree for sure the carriers should be policing themselves and protecting the work.
John E. can't do it all by himself.

Reactions: Slo-Ride

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Yes, there are some carriers that try to do the rite thing by policing what they do as far as their freight goes or where it goes. There has been alot of talk about the multi carrier aspect in this thread, The good and bad, but no matter what has been said one consequence of that never changes. If you do the multi carrier, at some point, the carriers are bidding against each other to put that load on your truck and in doing so, driving down the rate. Plain and simple fact with no room for arguing.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd regulate the cube vans. Not log books, just entering at each open scale and have their trucks weighed. And time to time pulled over and have it verified their insurance policy.

bfowler

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
We pay percentage but it is not a static percentage, on average 79% is paid to the truck. Our deductions are oc ac and tracking for a total of $39/week. We only have one or two open spots for vans currently.

I'm a new carrier. Do you sign on new carriers? I have my own insurance (1mil and 100k) I'm in randleman, nc looking for freight around the mid to souther east some miss west freight with a 26' box truck

sierra98

New Recruit
Driver
So do the primary carriers, Landstar, Bolt, Load One, V3, Barrett give loads to private owner operators that aren't affiliated with them?

danvictoria

New Recruit
Driver
Anyone here ever hear of empire national inc? I'm thinking of starting up with them. My recruiter told me if I go over the road I can expect to average 2500mi week at approximately average of .87/mile. Is this realistic nowadays or no? I'm looking to buy a ford transit 150 which is ok for to drive for them mainly the cargo space. I'm very new to this and looking for any and all advice. Thank you

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
New drivers and wannabes........... Experienced members keep telling you that it is not easy to get started, especially in the van segment. Listen to them. Don't invest your own money to try out a lifestyle that may not be your cup of tea, may not pay nearly as much as you hoped. Don't buy a vehicle that "one" recruiter said you could use. Buy a vehicle that ALL companies would want to have in their fleet so you have movement opportunities. Start out with a known expediting company, learn the ropes, then buy your own vehicle if you want to be an owner.
You will learn freight lanes, what makes a good or bad owner, what types of vehicles and comfort additions you would like. All without investing much of your own money.
And when you do get your own vehicle, you will have more information and experience to consider the pro and con of one major company versus multiple companies, and you will have learned their reputations. And what benefits you can get with a major company vs. small ones that are always popping up. Example: I pay about $1,000 a year as my share of proper vehicle, liability, and cargo coverage, subsidized by the one company I am with. A recent quote from a major expediting insurer so I could run for several separate companies showed an annual premium of $14,000, all out of my pocket. No, I am not ready to take on that expense for the privilege of multiple companies trying to undercut each other to get me loads at the cheapest pay.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So do the primary carriers, Landstar, Bolt, Load One, V3, Barrett give loads to private owner operators that aren't affiliated with them?
Yes, they do. But you're asking the wrong question. The question should be about the criteria and qualifications an independent (as opposed to a "private," not-for-hire) owner/operator needs to meet in order to get loads from a major carrier. "Have van, Will travel" is not one of them.

danvictoria

New Recruit
Driver
Kind of hard to get started with a carrier when they require you have either your own vehicle or experience which I have neither. I live in Wisconsin by the way..

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Kind of hard to get started with a carrier when they require you have either your own vehicle or experience which I have neither. I live in Wisconsin by the way..
Yes, it is. But there are several reputable carriers who will take on the inexperienced. Panther, for example, will take onpeople new to the business. And 2 years experience at a reputable carrier, such as Panther, is far more qualifying than 2 years at, for lack of a better term, a no-name bottom-feeder.