Cargo Van Need info concerning expedite brokers

Prouddada

Seasoned Expediter
Hello, hopefully everyone is having a blessed day today. The reason I'm writing.......Being out here on the road I've had the opportunity to talk to many expedite drivers......a few have expressed that they broker their own loads and a few have said they have 2 or 3 brokers. I'm more interested in finding a reliable broker or how to go about attaining one.....any information would be much appreciated as far as companies or individuals I can talk to on the phone......Thank you have a blessed and safe day drivers.

Jim Tropf II

Active Expediter
Carrier Management
They probably mean that they have 2 or 3 carriers that they work with under the multi model. Or they may have an MC number and act as an actual carrier, but there is no way a carrier can stay busy enough with 2 or 3 brokers.

If you are looking for a couple multi-carriers, make sure you are asking them the right questions. If they don't require you to carry $1,000,000 in primary liability coverage and $100,000 in cargo *from CIS* (unless anybody knows somebody else that monitors independents coverage) then find somebody else.

Also, running independent is not a magic cure for being slow. I would suggest finding a reputable carrier that suits you well and run exclusively with them, the benefits will far outweigh the cost of running with multi's.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Hello, hopefully everyone is having a blessed day today. The reason I'm writing.......Being out here on the road I've had the opportunity to talk to many expedite drivers......a few have expressed that they broker their own loads and a few have said they have 2 or 3 brokers. I'm more interested in finding a reliable broker or how to go about attaining one.....any information would be much appreciated as far as companies or individuals I can talk to on the phone......Thank you have a blessed and safe day drivers.

Bad idea. No, very bad idea. Contact Shelly at CIS or TEANA for more info.

ShellyB007

Insurance Guru
Motor Carrier Executive
LOL, Zoli...Shelly here...No I am not a Broker!

ProudDada, you would be wise to find one solid Motor Carrier and stay put. I see everything from Owner Ops with exclusive relationships with 1 Motor Carrier to Owner Ops hauling for 10 different Motor Carriers.

In my opinion, the most successful, well paid and happiest Owner Ops tend to do best with "less is more".

What we see from our insurance end is that the higher the number of Motor Carriers the Owner Op hauls for, the higher the failure rate for that Owner Op. Anyone leased on to more than two or three Motor Carriers really seems to struggle.

...Multis, please don't write back and shoot the messenger...if it works for you, that's great. But we write a lot of the Owner Ops and it's simply what the accounts reflect. Whether this is because the rates are driven down when those 10 Motor Carriers bid against one another for the same load or because there are other factors in play...I do not know.

For my two cents, Owner Ops, if you're bound and determined to remain non-exclusive you're shooting yourself in the foot by hauling for numerous Motor Carriers as your rates spiral downwards. Haul for preferably ONE, and certainly no more than two or three reputable Motor Carriers if you want a higher probability of success.

ProudDada, thanks for starting this thread. I needed a subject for my Risky Business Blog and I had writer's block! The subject of Brokering is a good one... for quick cheat sheet on Brokering and Motor Carriers, please go to:

Brokering

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I find expedite brokers all the time on various loadboards. I've never really had anyone tell me "Chris, here is an expedite broker go work with these people". If you know anything about freight you know what kind of broker you're talking to just a few details into the conversation. What it comes down to is you doing your own legwork making and taking phone calls, weeding out and sifting thru a lot of chaff out here.

It takes time and you can't expect it to happen overnight. Even if someone were to tell you "here is my list of expedited contacts now go make money with them" (don't hold your breath waiting on anyone to volunteer this info) those contacts don't know you or what you are about from the man in the moon and would be worthless to you.

Expedited is all about being in the right place at the right time. I'm talking here in terms of an operator with a semi truck under their own authority or leased on at a company to operate with such freed as it is essentially the same thing as being independent. As far as smaller trucks go I think anything below a straight truck you've got so much competition out here that you are really pissing in the wind being independent or running under multiple carriers model.

You should find somewhere with a good freight base to lease on. Your costs will be lower and you should keep more of the revenue you generate. There are exceptions to this rule but dig a little deeper into that and it is not usually some guy on a wing and a prayer who thinks that independence and keeping all the money means more money (it doesn't).

Usually it is someone with experience but more importantly they have first rate connections in the industry. Anyone can drive and rates are reflective of that. The winners know how to successfully network. You won't see them asking on an Internet forum "how?" or for anyone else to give them their hard earned connections.

J.D Smith

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
US Army
Ten Points is wrong running exclusive for one carrier is a downfall and does not give you nothing else but ties your hands so when they cant load you for a few days straight and just feed you short runs while they load there own units first you will go bankrupt I KNOW I WAS THERE

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ten Points is wrong running exclusive for one carrier is a downfall and does not give you nothing else but ties your hands so when they cant load you for a few days straight and just feed you short runs while they load there own units first you will go bankrupt I KNOW I WAS THERE
Where Ten Point?
I guess you expect to be loaded every day. So do I but it ain't happening. If you want to run every day then I would suggest running a big truck.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

So you've been a member for a whole day. On your very first post you decide to find a thread that is over a year old, call out another member & challenge their thoughts & advise. I don't think you'll find many members on here that profess to be all knowing. Well there is this guy from Ontario but we tend to give him a pass ;) I would suggest you take the edge off. If you have some information to share, share it. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Fleet owner .. huh? How many vehicles do you own? What type of vehicles? Carrier?

Jim Tropf II

Active Expediter
Carrier Management
Guys, guys... it's Tenpoint, and we are the best carrier in expediting (other than Load 1 of course).

Mr. Smith, we do not and never have had any company vans. I hope that multi-carrier thing is working out well for you.

Reactions: RoadTime

J.D Smith

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
US Army
Yes it is thank you and when tied to one company limited to just what resources they have and alot of company's are pulling from different resources. So gives a person a better chance to get a load I know can't be loaded everyday but can't a ford to sit for 2 or 3 days and just get short runs then. That does hurt. So the trick is now is find about 3 company's and see what resources they have as well most have the one same bid board that's a given but see what else they have and use as well and a person does find company's with different avenues for freight and when you find 3 company's that pull from different things yes it help great

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Guys, guys... it's Tenpoint, and we are the best carrier in expediting (other than Load 1 of course).

Mr. Smith, we do not and never have had any company vans. I hope that multi-carrier thing is working out well for you.

What do you pay per mile or percentage to Sprinters, lower 48 coverage for long and tall vans? Weekly deductions?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes it is thank you and when tied to one company limited to just what resources they have and alot of company's are pulling from different resources. So gives a person a better chance to get a load I know can't be loaded everyday but can't a ford to sit for 2 or 3 days and just get short runs then. That does hurt. So the trick is now is find about 3 company's and see what resources they have as well most have the one same bid board that's a given but see what else they have and use as well and a person does find company's with different avenues for freight and when you find 3 company's that pull from different things yes it help great
One mid to large carrier can have far more resources and customers than 10 that allow someone to work for multiple carriers.

Jim Tropf II

Active Expediter
Carrier Management
What do you pay per mile or percentage to Sprinters, lower 48 coverage for long and tall vans? Weekly deductions?

We pay percentage but it is not a static percentage, on average 79% is paid to the truck. Our deductions are oc ac and tracking for a total of $39/week. We only have one or two open spots for vans currently.

Reactions: brokcanadian