Need advice on 06 sprinter!!

DAN

Seasoned Expediter
My 06 Sprinter is runing very good and is paid,no trans. or engine problem,BUT at almost 300,000 mile I need to look for my options in case of failure.I like to ask you for your opinion on the fallowing options I have:
1.New engine from dealer-$10,000 to $13,000
2.Rebuild engine from Ebay-$5,000 to $7,000
3.Rebuild my own engine-$?
4.Trade for a new one-$ ? book value on 06
If you thing that I have a better option, please let me know.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
Give it to me and that will solve all your problems, I'll take care of it.

I will be at that crossroad at the end of the year. I'm currently at 223K miles and only had the normal wearable parts go on me. My plan is to keep on running till something goes. When it does, i will be able to get a discounted motor or tranny from a guy in TX. I will install it myself to save money, since I have all the tools and knowledge to do so.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Contact Andy Bittenbinder in Pittsburgh - 412-366-6165.

He's a former VW/Porsche/Mercedes tech that struck out on his own - he is also the moderator and keeper of the Yahoo Sprinter Group. He can rebuild your engine - probably at less than any of the prices quoted, although I couldn't say for sure. He also has a DRBIII diagnostic tool and can service your vehicle as well.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Like I will have it towed all the way to Pittsburgh...not....and hope he has the time to do it...and he'll provide a full factory like quarantee as well...

nope...I'll go for the new in the crate....comes complete with 1,000s of dollars of new parts...in and out in just over a day...and full quarantee....
One example...new engine comes with fuel injectors value 5 x $550...you do the math...

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Like I will have it towed all the way to Pittsburgh...not
Ahhhh, yes ..... but: have Bittenbinder will travel (all way to FL ... I believe he did a West Coast trip as well .... :eek:) And he has engines shipped from, and he ships to, the entire US.

Of course, the real issue is driving the thing so long that the engine has launched, or until it became totally un-drivable ... might be better to replace a little early .... rather than a little late .... when they have you over a barrel ..... dunno .... probably wrong .....

..... and he'll provide a full factory like quarantee as well......in and out in just over a day...and full quarantee....
Yup ... don't think Andy is set up for any quarantines ...

Now if you are talking about guarantees or warrantys that's a different matter .... dunno what it is. One could punch the button 10 times and find out tho' ....

nope...I'll go for the new in the crate....comes complete with 1,000s of dollars of new parts
Yup .... it does ... and for ten thousand plus dollars .... it dang well better .... :rolleyes:

.... and hope he has the time to do it ...
A smart feller that was gittin' lots miles on his engine might spend a dime to give the Doc a call ..... and mebbe see if he would prep and set aside a long block/crate motor (for a deposit) .... and have it on layaway for a rainy day ..... dunno ..... probably not ....

Of course, Chrysler-Fiat will be happy to take your moola too .... all $10K+ of it .... ya might even be able to get 'em to stick a Ducato motor in it .... :D

One example...new engine comes with fuel injectors value 5 x $550...you do the math...
..... wonder what is the replacement of cost of a fuel injector .... if you don't have any bad ones ?

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
If it was taken care of properly from the beginning there shouldnt be any worries.Have you ever ran some lucas in it as well from the beginning? I swear by that stuff, even run it in my lawn tractor.Tha Motokote additive supposedly works real well also.Used it once on an old
Ford L-8000 I had. worked instantly in many ways.These are the only 2 additive brands I use or trust.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Never been big on additives....use Power Service only on the Sprinter....

My old Dodge that STILL runs well with over 1/2 million miles with the 318 I used STP injector additive...never had an injector problem...never knew if it did any good but it shows it didn;t hurt....

actually I am looking to stock up for an alternator and starter ahead of time off europarts or ebay....

Last edited:

DAN

Seasoned Expediter
Never been big on additives....use Power Service only on the Sprinter....

My old Dodge that STILL runs well with over 1/2 million miles with the 318 I used STP injector additive...never had an injector problem...never knew if it did any good but it shows it didn;t hurt....

actually I am looking to stock up for an alternator and starter ahead of time off europarts or ebay....

How many mile on yours?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Just wondering...your going to put 10 grand into the engine, but the tranny still has 300K plus miles on it
how much is a tranny? When will that go out?
At that point are you better of buying a new one or slightly used one? I guess depends on if it is paid for or your still making payments.

I don't have the answer to these question, but it is something to think about.