Need Advice Guys!!!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I have just been asked to go to an interview for a small logistics company called "Express Freight Logistics" out of Redondo Beach California. They are going to use me as an on call delivery and pickup driver at LAX and also to pull loads from their storage warehouses to companies throughout, Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego. But I'm worried that they might be a shady type of operation (because they are holding the employment meeting at a commercial storage facility where they rent storage space and perform cross-docking). I looked up the company at that particular address and apparently the businesses that operate from that location pay for their spaces by the month. The warehouse facility is however close to where the ship yards are in Torrance/San Pedro California. But why would they do their hiring from a secondary location and not from their corporate headquarters in Redondo Beach? Does this sound kind of fishy to any of you more experienced drivers? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Just because they are a corporation don't mean they are a huge company. Maybe they are a mom and pop company like the vast majority of us. Their home office just might be in their home and they don't want the drivers in their house.

When I first started with Roberts Express, I had my little interview in a motel in Columbus, Oh. That is just where the recruiter was at the time and it worked out just fine.

I wouldn't but too much weight as to where the interview was held. Maybe if you have the time, you could just go to where they do business and sit down the street and watch the activity around the place, ask some of the people in the area if they know anything about the company.

I once worked for a little company in Canton, Ohio that didn't even have a phone listing, but things worked out pretty good.

There would be only two things that would interest me, do they have enough business to support me, and am I going to get paid.

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Dug a little deeper and took a look at the MCS-150 they filed on 11-11-07.

According to their report they have 2 trucks and 2 drivers and ran a total of 390,000 miles for the year. That works out to an average of over 500 miles per driver 7 days a week 365 days.

Either a mistake was made or the drivers in California would give Superman a run for his money.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks for the advice. They may own two trucks but the rest of the poeple are independent contractors. I also know that they have a lot of partner carrier agreements (even panther) so they might be alright. But I am worried about their business and whether or not they can keep me busy.

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Are you just trying to get away from the Northern winters and wanting to move to California or what? If you wanted to run local there are several good local companies in the northern Ohio area. I ran for Priority Dispatch several years ago, until they fired me and ordered me off the property, banishing me for all time, even refusing to let me return for my final check, but they kept me busy. Their pay wasn't to bad either, but that was 15 or so years ago.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yeah. I'm at home at a family members house and figure I can save more money working locally and not hanging out in truck stops next year. I want to save enough money to buy a decent sprinter with "cash "and then get my own authority. It is probably going to take me a years time to do this. It only costs me 60 dollars a week to eat here and I pay 200 for rent. So, as you can see, I can work like crazy and save a decent amount of money. Any how, what did they fire you for?

Last edited by a moderator:

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
I say check them out some more. ONe of the larger hot shot out fits I know does not do its interviews in their office but where ever they can agree on. The brokers cheques used to be left with a gas station for them to pickup and drop off paperwork. A few guys worked there for two years and never saw the office. But they made money and got paid.
Rob

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Yeah. I'm at home at a family members house and figure I can save more money working locally and not hanging out in truck stops next year. I want to save enough money to buy a decent sprinter with "cash "and then get my own authority. It is probably going to take me a years time to do this. It only costs me 60 dollars a week to eat here and I pay 200 for rent. So, as you can see, I can work like crazy and save a decent amount of money. Any how, what did they fire you for?

I got into a verbal argument with a woman in the office. She thought I was making too much money to complain about a few dollars (About $75.00) a week worth of commission corrections.

I was making about 4 times as much as she was, but I was working about 80 hrs per week and using my van to do it.

She was overweight, not good at her job, and not very good looking, (in my openion). I described her in a way that was compleatly out of line and not at all political correct. I deserved to be fired and I was.

I mailed her a letter to tell her that I was sorry and she sent it back telling me that if I didn't stop harrasing her she would call the cops. My guess would be, she was still angree with me.

As it turned out, I went to Roberts Express and it has just gotten better since then.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Dug a little deeper and took a look at the MCS-150 they filed on 11-11-07.

According to their report they have 2 trucks and 2 drivers and ran a total of 390,000 miles for the year. That works out to an average of over 500 miles per driver 7 days a week 365 days.

Either a mistake was made or the drivers in California would give Superman a run for his money.

I wouldn't put any weight whatsoever in these numbers. The owner inputs these numbers, and he could've been basing them on anything. ie, perhaps they currently (at time of filling it in) only have 2 trucks and 2 drivers, but perhaps they are estimating their miles for the coming year, which may include more than the 2 trucks and 2 drivers. Or perhaps during the year previous, they had 10 trucks, and that was their miles, but now they only have 2. Could be anything, especially if they're a new company.
I also wouldn't put any weight whatsoever in where the interview is being held. If you're going to be doing the local stuff, you'll probably become familiar with their cross-dock location, so why NOT hold it there?
Fortunately not everyone is a big company with buildings, offices, and too many staff to pay for. They also won't need a truck on every corner looking pretty, just to be on the ready in case their customer may need a load some day.
Make sure you get a contract saying what and when you'll get paid, and maybe try to talk to some others working for them. Sounds to me like you don't have a whole lot to lose here, in giving them a whirl.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
You mentioned the cross dock being close to the ship yards. That comes in handy because when a contractor isn't performing up to standard, you have a ready place to fit out the concrete overshoes, being close to the water and all. :)

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I am assuming this is the company you are speaking of. We have brokered from them but that is it. No clue on how they are to work for. Been around a couple of years. May want to check some of their competitors at the airport for their opinion.
Just a quick snapshot.
Express Freight Logistics - Redondo Beach, California (CA) | Company Profile

Thanks for the info Davekc. Where they a good company to broker freight from? I mean do they have a good credit rating and did you get paid as promised?