Cargo Van Need Advice! Given a Opportunity I believe.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Have you checked with other companies to see what they are paying ? Fuel surcharge ? Gas and diesel prices are rising , and on the other hand gas prices in my area seem to be declining , at least for the minute.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I would go to a dealer and lease a van, get unlimited miles you can lease a van, send me a pm and I tell you about leasing. I was owner operator for 25 years. I did outside commercial sales at Tysinger

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
From what you stated, there is not enough profit in it from what you stated the pay is.

Stay away from a $printer. Ridiculously expensive to purchase, operate, and maintain, unless you buy a gas model.
Sprinters are no difference to maintain if you know where to go and do some of your own work. Stay away from the dealership unless purchasing wholesale parts. Promaster is garbage from what I've heard have you seen any with over 500k?

Reactions: Mr. Loyalty.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sprinters are no difference to maintain if you know where to go and do some of your own work. Stay away from the dealership unless purchasing wholesale parts. Promaster is garbage from what I've heard have you seen any with over 500k?
Well, believe what you may, but there is a massive difference between a $printer and a Ford and a Chevy,, In every aspect. The cost to purchase, maintain, and operate a Sprinter is astronomical compared to a Ford and or a Chevy. Yes, Dodges are not the best, in my opinion. They may be cheap to buy, but for reasons. A ton of plastic up front. A huge crush zone. Watch this video on a water pump replacement on one of those. ( Raindance Ray's Repairs) on YouTube. So much has to be removed to get to it. Why I love my old school dinosaur Ford. Simple and dependable, built to take a beating. 4 times in 10 years my Ford has broke down. I'd rather have less gas mileage but dependability and reliability than something that goes into limp mode, or having only " qualified mechanics " that can work on those...lol..

Reactions: danthewolf00

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
The problems with sprinters is that you only hear the horror stories. There are a ton of reliable sprinters on the road out there. I expedited in my sprinter for almost 800k miles. I was the mechanic working on it and it only let me stranded on the road once because I used a sub standard belt tensioner.

Yes, I might have paid a bit more for it than a Ford or Chevy, but I saved probably 10 times as much in fuel savings over the 800k miles. Maintenance wasn't any more than any other vehicle, but I kept it out of the dealership.

Different people like different things, but for me if I needed a van it would be 'the best or nothing' sprinter. I worked on Fords and Dodges and I much prefer a Sprinter. And if you want the safest van on the road Sprinter is actually the best out there. When I needed a passenger van as a family hauler guess what I bought. A Sprinter.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I just found a sprinter van for $29,000
2013 model with 99,000 miles
it's at a chevy dealer in Plano Texas

Even though most on here will tell you that you are better off, make sure that it is not deleted, federal law says licensed dealers can not sell a vehicle with an emission system that was tampered with.

Wow I know used car prices are through the roof right now but 29k seems high for a 9 year old vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Even though most on here will tell you that you are better off, make sure that it is not deleted, federal law says licensed dealers can not sell a vehicle with an emission system that was tampered with.

Wow I know used car prices are through the roof right now but 29k seems high for a 9 year old vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
I have a friend with a $printer that he spent over $3k on that emissions system last year, and now, it's in "countdown" mode, needing an estimated $6k in emissions repairs again..I don't care how safe, or how great the fuel mileage is on those things, you couldn't give me one of those..the sad thing is, that he religiously takes it since new to the Mercedes dealer he bought it from for all work and maintenance. And he doesn't overload or beat on it at all. He runs good name brand fuel... It's a really nice van..trying to talk him out of deleting all the emissions garbage, as much as I hate it all. Once that is done, good luck getting any work done on it at any dealer..just a bunch of future trouble and risks getting caught, as the government is coming down hard on the people doing that kinda thing..

With a that being said, where is the advantage to a diesel van anymore? A diesel option on a van costs you more. Diesel fuel costs more than gas. Def fluid, anti gel in the winter, oil changes,....a used 3.0 $printer engine is going for $10k right now, on the cheap side...not installed.....a reman Ford ecoboost gasser from Ford with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty is around 5 grand, not installed... nowadays, gas engines last just as long as a diesel engine..do the math....

Reactions: danthewolf00

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I have a friend with a $printer that he spent over $3k on that emissions system last year, and now, it's in "countdown" mode, needing an estimated $6k in emissions repairs again..I don't care how safe, or how great the fuel mileage is on those things, you couldn't give me one of those..the sad thing is, that he religiously takes it since new to the Mercedes dealer he bought it from for all work and maintenance. And he doesn't overload or beat on it at all. He runs good name brand fuel... It's a really nice van..trying to talk him out of deleting all the emissions garbage, as much as I hate it all. Once that is done, good luck getting any work done on it at any dealer..just a bunch of future trouble and risks getting caught, as the government is coming down hard on the people doing that kinda thing..

With a that being said, where is the advantage to a diesel van anymore? A diesel option on a van costs you more. Diesel fuel costs more than gas. Def fluid, anti gel in the winter, oil changes,....a used 3.0 $printer engine is going for $10k right now, on the cheap side...not installed.....a reman Ford ecoboost gasser from Ford with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty is around 5 grand, not installed... nowadays, gas engines last just as long as a diesel engine..do the math....
Tell your friend ebay has erasers for the countdown.$300.. Vin number...Problems solved..Clearing codes causes problems with def side. Tricky :censoredsign: until you figure it out. DEF sucks.

Sent from my SM-G998U using EO Forums mobile app

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
2013 , Sprint is 9 years old. Before I would buy that, you need to look at maintenances records, check out the brake pedals are there any ware on pedals. Check for rust under frame , , doors etc. check brakes, also check for oil leaks and transmission leaks to. I would go to a dealer and lease a new vehicle.

Reactions: Opel2010

papoutinno100

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Enterprise is treating me as a business account and are offering me 4000 miles free every month. Rental is costing me 1200 a month but I have been making a bit over 1K in just two days doing local deliveries.

I am paying for fuel.

I have a TX Tag so it's discounted. Tolls have been no more then $10.

Shipments are already insured by the international company.

No fees. Just have to provide my own equipment and ensure them I can do same day delivery within TX. Some days it's only 500 max miles I do. Today I did 1019 miles.

I'm aiming to use Rental until I can purchase a quality cargo van.

And if for any reason if they have a day when no LTL comes in they will provide me with parcels to deliver in the local neighborhood at $5 A stop.
The stops are minutes away from each other. Very condensed. I average about 100-112 a day which equals to 500-560 a day. I started off with parcels then they offered me to try out the LTL side of the
Hello! I was recently doing independent contract work out of my vehicle delivering local packages for a here in Austin tx. They were paying $5 per package I delivered. I racked up a lot of money doing that within a week. I was able to rent a Dodge ProMaster for a month with two days worth of work. 112 deliveries a day netted me $560 a day.
The company I am currently doing side work recently dropped the Contractor that was delivering the LTL freight for them due to the contractor taking weeks to get it delivered and they needed the shipments delivered same day. These LTL shipments range to 300-500 miles.
They gave me an opportunity to fill in and see how I do and if I can ensure same day delivery they would consider me for handling all of the LTL freight. They are willing to pay me $1 per mile round trip. Tomorrow I have a stop in Presideo TX. 8 hour drive. 490 miles there and 490 back.
is this something I should get my feet into? I really want to give this a shot. Money sounds good. But not sure if I should continue using a rental and save up to purchase my own cargo van or dodge this all together?
Hello! I was recently doing independent contract work out of my vehicle delivering local packages for a international delivery service here in Austin tx. They were paying $5 per package I delivered. I racked up a lot of money doing that within a week. I was able to rent a Dodge ProMaster for a month with two days worth of work. 112 deliveries a day netted me $560 a day.
The company I am currently doing side work recently dropped the Contractor that was delivering the LTL freight for them due to the contractor taking weeks to get it delivered and they needed the shipments delivered same day. These LTL shipments range to 300-500 miles.
They gave me an opportunity to fill in and see how I do and if I can ensure same day delivery they would consider me for handling all of the LTL freight. They are willing to pay me $1 per mile round trip. Tomorrow I have a stop in Presideo TX. 8 hour drive. 490 miles there and 490 back.
is this something I should get my feet into? I really want to give this a shot. Money sounds good. But not sure if I should continue using a rental and save up to purchase my own cargo van or dodge this all together?
Could you please help me with the international delivery service in Washington DC?

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm aiming to use Rental until I can purchase a quality cargo van.
Whenever that purchase will be, I do not recommend the ProMaster... I had three and for all of them I had to change the engine when they reached 200K miles... if a Nissan NV2500 fits your needs, go for it! It's extremely comfy, smooth ride, although not too cheap on gas, but me personally I'd pick it in a flash if I have to choose between these two...

Reactions: Mr. Loyalty.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whenever that purchase will be, I do not recommend the ProMaster... I had three and for all of them I had to change the engine when they reached 200K miles... if a Nissan NV2500 fits your needs, go for it! It's extremely comfy, smooth ride, although not too cheap on gas, but me personally I'd pick it in a flash if I have to choose between these two...
If the Nissan had 12 ft or more cargo area length I would of had one right from the beginning. An excellent built vehicle. Very few Nissan owners have complaints about those.

Last edited:
Reactions: Opel2010