Need a qustion answered should go under Trucks but

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Went to start truck last night, no problem until about 5 seconds later, noticed the interior lights got dim, nothing on to drain any electricity, no air, fridge, lights nothing.

Volts went from 14 to 13 on my volt meter thats a big drop and the dimmness of the lights also told me alot of power was either not being put back in or something is draining the electricity.

250K think its just an Alternator? Did it again today, and after it warms up she stays at 14. It only dips to 13 for about 20 seconds or less?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
RE: Need a qustion answered should go under Trucks

You are correct. It is likely an alternator and or batteries. I would have them do a load test and that should identify the problem. It will also detect a bad relay, short or bad ground somewhere.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

I had a similar problem last December.Turned out to be the starter,it was draining so much current from the batteries it would take the alternator several minutes to build them back up. After cranking and starting I would have about 10.5 volts showing. Eventually the whole starter seized and the friendly tow truck guy showed up knowing that Christmas bonus time was here.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Check the negative or ground cables to make sure, especially the one(s) on the engine going to the frame. Many times the cable on the engine to the frame is bad and will cause this type of situation.

blucolr

Expert Expediter

One other thing that is simple but may have been forgotten over the long warm summer, if you are now operating in cooler weather the preheaters on that engine may cycle one or more times after the engine starts causing all of the things you mentioned. Let's hope!
Mike

Deville

Not a Member

Check that groundf wire, My ground wire was loose and my starter FREAked out one night! I started it up and the starter would not shut down, I shut the truck off and it kept running because the starter kept turning, finally after driving it for about 20 mins the starter stopped turning, I thought it burnt out, but no it wound up being fine, the guy at the shop just tighted the grounds and cleaned some wires, no prolbems since.
werid

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter

Thank you all for your suggestions, Blucolr had it right. It was not the Engine Block Heather, but the Air Intake Heater. Your correct all summer it was not needed, with the cooler Temps it is. Also the reason I did not notice it last winter, was the APU kept the engine warm thus it is not needed for start ups.

Dodged a bullet, appriciate everyones help. Broom