N.E., fuel, and freight.......

fins_up_fl

Active Expediter
Ok..... Since I got off of hometime, and brokered a load from south Florida to south Pa, two Weeks ago.... I haven't left pa, NY and Mass..... Its back and forth. And all these minis...... Its killing me with fuel being over 4.55 a gallon..... But im confused. I thought upstate NY and Mass...isnt the prime service area???.... They sure do have alot of in this area...... My question to you more experienced is....... How the hell do I get to the good are, ie. The hell out of mass, NY and pa.... Without taking a broker load?... Is that my real only option?

Ps... Sure they are keeping me busy, but only with "BS" loads,
Ie. A mini, with a SMALL bonus, and at over 4.50plus a gallon and at 40,000 lbs.....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Hard question to answer without more specifics. Are you a team or solo? That will have a lot to do with it. Outside of that without knowing the loads, "just say no" if the something is unprofitable.

Kyle06

Seasoned Expediter
Ok..... Since I got off of hometime, and brokered a load from south Florida to south Pa, two Weeks ago.... I haven't left pa, NY and Mass..... Its back and forth. And all these minis...... Its killing me with fuel being over 4.55 a gallon..... But im confused. I thought upstate NY and Mass...isnt the prime service area???.... They sure do have alot of in this area...... My question to you more experienced is....... How the hell do I get to the good are, ie. The hell out of mass, NY and pa.... Without taking a broker load?... Is that my real only option?

Ps... Sure they are keeping me busy, but only with "BS" loads,
Ie. A mini, with a SMALL bonus, and at over 4.50plus a gallon and at 40,000 lbs.....

I feel your pain, I'm currently Soloing and I sat in Bordentown, NJ at the petro for 4 days over Easter, finally got a load on Tuesday this week up towards Buffalo and still sitting here.....

Now when I was sitting at the Petro there was 6 mini load offers, and it would of gave me something to do, but wouldn't make any money..... and as far as getting out of the area, just quit accepting short runs (unless appropriate bonus given, to pay for fuel, etc) unless they are heading west.

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
We were a team in a straight truck, and New York and Pennsylvania were areas that I would avoid at all costs. Unless, it was near Ohio.

Kyle06

Seasoned Expediter
We were a team in a straight truck, and New York and Pennsylvania were areas that I would avoid at all costs. Unless, it was near Ohio.

I can honestly say when running a team, when we get up in that area we normally get right back out, yeah they will send over some loads that I wouldn't make any money on you can just turn them down and wait for a good load.....

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
We are sitting in kc and havent been offerd anything worthh taking last week ran 4000 but because for some unfortold instace the paperwork for the second load didnt get there:) strange,and this week is almost over with no miles gotta love the big cats.

Kyle06

Seasoned Expediter
We are sitting in kc and havent been offerd anything worthh taking last week ran 4000 but because for some unfortold instace the paperwork for the second load didnt get there:) strange,and this week is almost over with no miles gotta love the big cats.

Yeah, the ups and downs suck sometimes..... Here lately I have seen more downs but such is the life of a expediter..

fins_up_fl

Active Expediter
Lol,
Yea sorry, im a solo, t/t... I took a load that is going to Boston, figure I wont be able to get s load till Monday, but at least ill make the best of it and spend the weekend at my cousins house. Lol. even if I have to broker a load, ill be out of the ne come Monday. Lol. I've just never had this much bad luck when it comes to the NE. I have never turned down a load, well... One, it was.gping into the heart of nyc..... But every one is making a big deal about the rewards program, hence the reason I dont just tell them...hell no, im not taking that, instead I need extras, layover, more cents per empty bonus, etc.... Lol.... If I really got to take it to keep my rewards at 100%, ill make em pay. Lol

fins_up_fl

Active Expediter
Hard question to answer without more specifics. Are you a team or solo? That will have a lot to do with it. Outside of that without knowing the loads, "just say no" if the something is unprofitable.

Dave..... But its not more than 40% dh, doesn't that mess up the rewards system??????

Kyle06

Seasoned Expediter
Dave..... But its not more than 40% dh, doesn't that mess up the rewards system??????

Yeah but sometimes the rewards arnt worth what you are losing in fuel costs, and time your not available for potentially a better load (just have to roll the dice), and what is it at the bronze level you get a 50 dollar card??

I'm pretty sure you have to have so many loads to qualify for each level, but I would just watch my acceptance and make sure it does not go below 73%...

Also remember it does not count as a refusal if it's more than 8 hours in advance, more than 40% dh, or reduced rate.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I am a solo tractor and I do not go east of Ohio unless there is a pre planed load to bring me back. And I am from new England but I rarely g back to visit unless I fly