My start to finish in expediting

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Most of the loads that have a "decent" rate are either contract loads or the carrier has a "relationship" with a 3PL.
Same applies for an individual. Most van loads that move at a decent rate do come from brokers or 3PL's, however that independent almost exclusively has a working relationship with that broker/carrier or logistic provider.

I do have a working relationship with everyone I haul for.

I am just saying I would try every avenue before I threw in the towel at panther. the freight is available and why not try to do better rate wise than what the panther dispatchers offer you.........

Both very valid points..............

But..........Question came to my mind was.....and this is to Rich.......Over what period of time......or how much time did it take to build up those working "relationships" that are getting Good $$$$ Freight for YOUR Cargo Van?

While I never really said that "it can't be done".....$1.50 a Mile Freight for Cargo Vans.........and fully agree that if one works takes the TIME and effort to build such relationships with self serving Customers that Decent $$$$ MIGHT be obtained in a Cargo Van.......What do you suggest to a Guy in a Cargo Van who is currently contracting with an Expedite Carrier who is on his last Tank of Gas and $17 in his Bank Account do to Survive until such "Relationships" are found and built upon to stay in the Cargo Van Freight Hauling arena?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
....What do you suggest to a Guy in a Cargo Van who is currently contracting with an Expedite Carrier who is on his last Tank of Gas and $17 in his Bank Account do to Survive until such "Relationships" are found and built upon to stay in the Cargo Van Freight Hauling arena?

Get out of this business and open a furniture store....:p

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The average that a carrier pays to a truck is 62% of the line haul. The 38% the carrier keeps covers overhead, costs of obtaining the load, collections and other liabilities. The average all-in rate paid to cargo vans is in the 90 to 95 cent range. 62% of $1.50 is, ta-da, 93 cents.

Clearly, $1.50 a mile cargo van freight is all over the place out there. If you want to obtain the entire $1.50, then you need to do as suggested, and create relationships with shippers and obtain your own loads and collect your own line haul pay from the customers.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Yes, cargo van rates of $1.50 per mile are common. But references to those here, as compared to driver pay, are comparing apples to oranges.
And of course that $1.50 per mile, consistently, is the rate from the customer directly. Not from a broker on a posted load. We (Sally & I) don't have many direct customers, but those customers pay "up to" the rates mentioned here and more.
Of course our expense ratio is a bit "different" than the average guy running a van for another carrier.

Those $.37 printed Bic pens & decals & magnet business cards & embroidered shirts & fleeces & the extra business phone line & high volume data packages & Internet access & extra computers & printers & load access & licensing & etc don't get paid by the Freight Fairy. LOL!! :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, cargo van rates of $1.50 per mile are common. But references to those here, as compared to driver pay, are comparing apples to oranges.
And of course that $1.50 per mile, consistently, is the rate from the customer directly. Not from a broker on a posted load. We (Sally & I) don't have many direct customers, but those customers pay "up to" the rates mentioned here and more.
Of course our expense ratio is a bit "different" than the average guy running a van for another carrier.

Those $.37 printed Bic pens & decals & magnet business cards & embroidered shirts & fleeces & the extra business phone line & high volume data packages & Internet access & extra computers & printers & load access & licensing & etc don't get paid by the Freight Fairy. LOL!! :)

and babies don't come via stork?.......LOL

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
Both very valid points..............

But..........Question came to my mind was.....and this is to Rich.......Over what period of time......or how much time did it take to build up those working "relationships" that are getting Good $$$$ Freight for YOUR Cargo Van?

While I never really said that "it can't be done".....$1.50 a Mile Freight for Cargo Vans.........and fully agree that if one works takes the TIME and effort to build such relationships with self serving Customers that Decent $$$$ MIGHT be obtained in a Cargo Van.......What do you suggest to a Guy in a Cargo Van who is currently contracting with an Expedite Carrier who is on his last Tank of Gas and $17 in his Bank Account do to Survive until such "Relationships" are found and built upon to stay in the Cargo Van Freight Hauling arena?

well I have been doing this since 97. I got away from leasing trucks to 1 carrier around 2000 and been on my own since. not always full time as I also farm for a living and trucking provides me with a good tax write off.as far as what the guy with $17 bucks in his pocket and down to his last tank of fuel I would suggest they go home and get a 9-5 cause they should not have let themselves get in that position to begin with. It only takes good communications and on time performance to establish a good working relationship. if you perform like everything matters and your goals include making the agents job painless as possible you will find your phone will be ringing quite often with load offers. more and more as you establish a service record. I would say within 6 months after start-up you should be able to look back and say why did I ever run .90 per mile freight. your not going to get everyone from day 1 landstar, ch robinson they will help you from day 1 even as a single truck operation.as long as you have the proper insurance. Both of them pay in 2 days and ch will give you 50% as soon as your loaded. both of these companies have a lot of cheap freight and a lot of the good stuff to. you have to find the right agents to deal with. if the op indeed lives in AL I would suggest calling the mobile branch of ch they tend to pay $2 on a dedicated truck going north east and $1.50 going west. if a guy happens to live in MI and needs work then I would call the flint office and introduce myself to Justin Morris <[email protected]>or Jay Nord [email protected]
I know panther elite bids so they must have a T number already if you happen to work for panther in any kind of truck straight, van or tractor its strictly expedite with Justin and jay you might as well get 85% and be #1 out before some panther dispatcher sends it over for .80 per mile. if you can get them to add your email to the list your in but you have to respond to every email even if you cant cover it. most times they take the best bids in under 10 minutes from the time they send the email out. and they don't jack you around if someone sends in a lower bid after they contact you.