My start to finish in expediting

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
I started back in 08 as a driver for someone else. Then I got back six months later due to a better job offer local. Next after 3 years this job had ended. And I decided to get my own van. But during the years babies had came along. So I put it on with express one to begin with they where ok at first. June hit and I sit a week in Atlanta , thats when I left them. Came back home got a job was going to get a driver fot van. Well after working for a company for a month. I was ready to go back out. This time panther,it was ok the first 4 months of 11. Then 2012 was the best time I ever had in expediting. But then came 2013 I had one good month all year. Then bad luck started to hit also transmission went out. And took over two weeks to back on the road. Then the next 3 weeks was pitiful.Then I had my first issue with a load on truck , and had to give up the best load id see in over 2 months. After that this last week made my mind up im a number to them and nothing more. Load one 349 - load two 280- after sitting two days 243 miles on third one.-That brought me home friday I sit all day waiting friday then Saturday.And then at 0030 at night they want to offer me one 110 - miles to pick up straight thru to delivery 500 miles away. Well I take they figure we have no life of our own because id been up most of the day playing with the kids.I did what I know was right and turned it down because im not going to drive sleepy. I guess my vent or poiny is here.If you have a family to take care of at home,this job is probably not for you.And id suggest another form of income to,unless you want to live on the road Truck 12923 panther cargo van signing out! Ill check in from time to time. You all are very entertaining!

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I started back in 08 as a driver for someone else. Then I got back six months later due to a better job offer local. Next after 3 years this job had ended. And I decided to get my own van. But during the years babies had came along. So I put it on with express one to begin with they where ok at first. June hit and I sit a week in Atlanta , thats when I left them. Came back home got a job was going to get a driver fot van. Well after working for a company for a month. I was ready to go back out. This time panther,it was ok the first 4 months of 11. Then 2012 was the best time I ever had in expediting. But then came 2013 I had one good month all year. Then bad luck started to hit also transmission went out. And took over two weeks to back on the road. Then the next 3 weeks was pitiful.Then I had my first issue with a load on truck , and had to give up the best load id see in over 2 months. After that this last week made my mind up im a number to them and nothing more. Load one 349 - load two 280- after sitting two days 243 miles on third one.-That brought me home friday I sit all day waiting friday then Saturday.And then at 0030 at night they want to offer me one 110 - miles to pick up straight thru to delivery 500 miles away. Well I take they figure we have no life of our own because id been up most of the day playing with the kids.I did what I know was right and turned it down because im not going to drive sleepy. I guess my vent or poiny is here.If you have a family to take care of at home,this job is probably not for you.And id suggest another form of income to,unless you want to live on the road Truck 12923 panther cargo van signing out! Ill check in from time to time. You all are very entertaining!

I'm sorry it did not work out for you. Perhaps you can develop your own contacts from some of the other contributors on this site and try to make a go of it! Maybe get loads from some of the guys on here? Maybe crich, Murray, or some other guys who own their own business you can represent them in your area?

flattop40

Expert Expediter
When asked about expediting the first question I ask of them is "do you have any children at home?" If the answer is yes I tell them flip burgers and clean toilets before hitting the road. Sorry about your misfortunes but I believe everything happens for a reason. Enjoy your kids while you can.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You may find it isn't the end if you're expecting career but it is just in hold. Good luck moving forward.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You hit the right answer. If you have kids at home, expediting is not for you.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
You hit the right answer. If you have kids at home, expediting is not for you.

You're right. You should first retire from a job, before you take someone else's.

If expediting isn't for a parent, then neither is the military, or regular truck driving. While it is hard, there are ways around that issue. Sometimes sacrifice is necessary.

Last edited:

rodeehos

Seasoned Expediter
when I got in this business 8 yrs ago, my 3rd child was born basically within the same month. while driving many nights up and down the interstates of america, I would tell myself that driving a truck and being away from my family was something I didn't want to do forever. a couple of years later I was fortunate enough bring on enough trucks to get out from behind a steering wheel and get behind a computer monitor and manage things. I can say that I have been blessed and fortunate over the years to stay in the office and be with my family at nights and weekends and enjoy seeing them grow up, but a lot of that depends on how you are wired, you're either a teller or a doer. I knew "doing" was going to keep me from spending a lot of time from my family, so the teller side took over and here I am now. basically hawk, sacrifice is necessary; sometimes, a man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do, but it sounds like this fella hasn't made enough money to make it justifiable to stay in the business, maybe it's the companies he's running for or maybe it's his business practices???? making serious money can overcome some of the time being away from the fam, but if you are giving all you got and you aren't a "teller", and the income isn't their, then that sacrifice could be the worst thing you ever do. I think this guy being in a van was probably mistake #1. cargo vans/sprinters are so competitive and overabundant in expedite right now, I don't know how anyone could make a "good" living right now. not trying to argue with ya' hawk, just hate to see someone fail in any business while sacrificing the priceless home time that he/she will never get back. hate to see ya leave 'dog, we all know this business isn't for anyone, especially the sane. good luck to you in your travels.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Underdog: I hope you find a way to take care of your family without having to leave them for extended periods, because expediting isn't your best option at this point in your life. Maybe you'll return to it some day - lots of others have. Right now, those 'babies' need you at home, so I think you made the right choice.
One thing you didn't do right, despite saying you "did what I knew was right", was turning down a load because you were too tired/sleepy. The load was offered because you were 'in service', and that means 'ready to roll'. If and when you're not, you shouldn't waste dispatch's time: take yourself out of service.
It's too late [for this go around], but you may be back someday, and either way, there are others who need to be reminded: if you're not able to accept a load, let dispatch know that.
Hope you find something that works better for you, and the babies. :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
A prime example of a van guy that needs too many miles on a consistent basis to make a living.....this what a sub dollar carrier will do to a young person.....use them up and burn them out and leave them a few years later with a lot of regrets and a trashed van.....all them years and all you do is tread water with a mere existence with no room for error...sorry it didn't work out .....

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Amen Ra..

Sent from my SPH-L900 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Panther has too many vans already and not enough, work I had a driver last week call me and said he only got 250 miles :confused:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
when I got in this business 8 yrs ago, my 3rd child was born basically within the same month. while driving many nights up and down the interstates of america, I would tell myself that driving a truck and being away from my family was something I didn't want to do forever. a couple of years later I was fortunate enough bring on enough trucks to get out from behind a steering wheel and get behind a computer monitor and manage things. I can say that I have been blessed and fortunate over the years to stay in the office and be with my family at nights and weekends and enjoy seeing them grow up, but a lot of that depends on how you are wired, you're either a teller or a doer. I knew "doing" was going to keep me from spending a lot of time from my family, so the teller side took over and here I am now. basically hawk, sacrifice is necessary; sometimes, a man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do, but it sounds like this fella hasn't made enough money to make it justifiable to stay in the business, maybe it's the companies he's running for or maybe it's his business practices???? making serious money can overcome some of the time being away from the fam, but if you are giving all you got and you aren't a "teller", and the income isn't their, then that sacrifice could be the worst thing you ever do. I think this guy being in a van was probably mistake #1. cargo vans/sprinters are so competitive and overabundant in expedite right now, I don't know how anyone could make a "good" living right now. not trying to argue with ya' hawk, just hate to see someone fail in any business while sacrificing the priceless home time that he/she will never get back. hate to see ya leave 'dog, we all know this business isn't for anyone, especially the sane. good luck to you in your travels.

Totally agree with you. I'm just attacking the blanket statements that expediting isn't for a parent. I did it while my son was a baby. I regret that I wasn't always there, but it was something I needed to do, and my wife understood that. It looks like I'm going back out again, and my kids hate that idea... but it's something that has to be done.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Totally agree with you. I'm just attacking the blanket statements that expediting isn't for a parent. I did it while my son was a baby. I regret that I wasn't always there, but it was something I needed to do, and my wife understood that. It looks like I'm going back out again, and my kids hate that idea... but it's something that has to be done.

there are always exemptions to any field.....too bad you can't use your CDL in a better way...

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Brother, if you have a job waiting at home, then you have my blessings.

If not, get some good rest and spend some time with your family for a few days, stresses and burnouts will clear up.

Then, do the inventory of what went wrong and correct them.

Right now, you still have the skills and tools to atleast bring in some income. Sure, it may be slow, but you still have a better chance out on the road.

As a driver, rest periods are the priority and we must follow them, no exception. Without a good rest and sleep mood swings and burn outs will ensue. Both will cloud our good judgement and decision makings.

So, don't close the door behind you just yet, your decision may change after a good rest and a productive discussion with your family.

Good luck :)

Deville

Not a Member
Underdog, i'm sure you would be singing a diffrent tune if you were making better money. Money makes everything better when it's coming in. When it stops flowing at a rate you need it combined with this profession makes everything seem lousy.

I don't know if you have put ur papers in yet, but mu advice to you would be to try & stick it out especially if you don't have a job lined up.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
I suggest you stay with panther at least they will let you book your own freight. there is still good freight out there for vans that pays $1.50 and up just not enough to go around. I would take some time off and start looking for it. most loads that run under a 100 miles will pay at least $300 even if you have to give panther 15% your still going to come out. when you search for freight don't bother looking for ltl for cargo vans search instead for loads that move as full truckloads then sort by weight. And look at the pick-up and delivery date loads that move 1000+ miles and they want it next day or 2 tend to pay very well. these shippers are just looking for a dedicated truck they mostly move freight on tractor trailers and you will find the otr rate for a tractor trailer with fuel surcharge is much better than what panther or any carrier is paying for expedite cargo vans. I am not saying you shouldn't inform them your in a cargo van I am saying find out what they are looking to pay for the load and then spring on them what you have available to assist them give them your exact box dimensions and the fact your not dock high but tell them you can cover it for the rate they quoted you and most times the broker or 3pl will call the shipper and find out if they can load you. A **** poor tractor rate can still a great cargo van rate when they add in the fuel surcharge.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I suggest you stay with panther at least they will let you book your own freight. there is still good freight out there for vans that pays $1.50 and up just not enough to go around. I would take some time off and start looking for it. most loads that run under a 100 miles will pay at least $300 even if you have to give panther 15% your still going to come out. when you search for freight don't bother looking for ltl for cargo vans search instead for loads that move as full truckloads then sort by weight. And look at the pick-up and delivery date loads that move 1000+ miles and they want it next day or 2 tend to pay very well. these shippers are just looking for a dedicated truck they mostly move freight on tractor trailers and you will find the otr rate for a tractor trailer with fuel surcharge is much better than what panther or any carrier is paying for expedite cargo vans. I am not saying you shouldn't inform them your in a cargo van I am saying find out what they are looking to pay for the load and then spring on them what you have available to assist them give them your exact box dimensions and the fact your not dock high but tell them you can cover it for the rate they quoted you and most times the broker or 3pl will call the shipper and find out if they can load you. A **** poor tractor rate can still a great cargo van rate when they add in the fuel surcharge.

Honestly.....if this was even Remotely Possible.....don't you think there would be dozens...if not hundreds.....of other Cargo Van Owners out there trying this Plan of Attack getting their Vans loaded???

If there wasn't (hundreds of other Cargo Van Operators trying to find this $1.50 a Mile freight) then I'm quite sure there are dozens and dozens of Van Owners sitting in Truck Stops all over America right now seeking the Pot of Gold at the Rainbow as we speak..........:D

Reality is.....Yes.....This type of Freight for Vans "COULD" exist.....Problem is......there are Experienced Brokers out there sitting at their Desks with 3 Computer Monitors snatching that stuff up and posting it on other Freight Boards for .85 cents a mile well before some lonely Van Owner runs across it using the TA / FJ Wifi outside of Timbuktoo Michigan.

And my Bet too........1/2 those "Brokers" are backroom Freight Finders at most of you Guys Expedite Carriers who are doing it. Don't try to say that the Fed, Panther, Bolt, Etc.....aren't out there snatching up those $1.50 a Mile Loads that will fit in a Cargo Van and then passing it off to their Contract Drivers for .78 cents a mile + FSC.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Probably time for another reality check.
The truth is mostly in the middle of the two observations/conversations. It is true that there is a massive daily bidding war on van freight. That is why you see the rates you do.
Part of it is competition and part of it is carrier greed.
Most of the loads that have a "decent" rate are either contract loads or the carrier has a "relationship" with a 3PL.
Same applies for an individual. Most van loads that move at a decent rate do come from brokers or 3PL's, however that independent almost exclusively has a working relationship with that broker/carrier or logistic provider.
Oh....and the van loads aren't coming off the board in the truck stop. lol.

Last edited:

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
Probably time for another reality check.
The truth is mostly in the middle of the two observations/conversations. It is true that there is a massive daily bidding war on van freight. That is why you see the rates you do.
Part of it is competition and part of it is carrier greed.
Most of the loads that have a "decent" rate are either contract loads or the carrier has a "relationship" with a 3PL.
Same applies for an individual. Most van loads that move at a decent rate do come from brokers or 3PL's, however that independent almost exclusively has a working relationship with that broker/carrier or logistic provider.
Oh....and the van loads aren't coming off the board in the truck stop. lol.

I will actually agree with you I never get loads off truckstop or getloaded or dat mostly the 3pls that you have to be an approved carrier to gain access to the freight.I do have a working relationship with everyone I haul for. I wasn't telling the op to lease on with me I am just saying I would try every avenue before I threw in the towel at panther. the freight is available and why not try to do better rate wise than what the panther dispatchers offer you.do you not ever find loads for your drivers and when you do are they not from some of the same sources that panther deals with on a daily?