My first 30 minute break

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You guys really have them already barrel.. They pay you or you say no where are they going to take their business ,very few other carriers out there that do what you do with the qualifications.

Exactly, and this is the time when the carriers need to stand in solidarity with the drivers and owner ops and make the customers pay and make em pay large! Unfortunately the law of "the path of least resistance" will probably dictate that the carriers will salivate like pavlovs dog if they think they can download the responsibility on to the driver instead of making the customer pay for it.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
This really should not be allowed to be logged off duty. Any definition of off duty status I have ever read always included the words "driver is free from the responsibility of and is able to leave the vehicle. Neither of these scenarios applies if there is a guarded load. If this is allowed to be logged as off duty, then the carrier is getting free work out of you plain and simple. The carrier would otherwise have to pay for another truck or private security co to watch the truck so why should you do it for free? I also thought about asking the carrier for extra pay for guarding while off duty but then that is in violation of off duty status as well.

Now is the time for everyone to step up to the plate and just say no! Off duty is off duty!

What's needed is for the gov to see how much more its now gonna cost them for their dod and other high value loads because of their stupid rule!

As much as most don't like this mrb, mandated or not its still your free time and if you give away your free time just to circumvent the rule and or help your carrier, then you are just plain stupid and I make no apologies for saying so!

Definition has changed I know for sure they took out the free to leave the truck part...

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Exactly, and this is the time when the carriers need to stand in solidarity with the drivers and owner ops and make the customers pay and make em pay large! Unfortunately the law of "the path of least resistance" will probably dictate that the carriers will salivate like pavlovs dog if they think they can download the responsibility on to the driver instead of making the customer pay for it.

Exactly Mr. Terry O should be out there screaming his head off.... Telling FedEx management it is illegal against the law the guard that load

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The customer will pay for it. Whether that translates to the driver getting paid from the carrier is another story.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Apparently seems to be a problem for some. Had a flatbed yesterday in such a rush at a Pilot in Louisiana take out the side of our truck. What a way to get woke up. Of course he tried to run off but another driver blocked him in so he couldn't leave. At least when the cops got there he fessed up.

Did he damage the whole side of the box too? Or is that a reflection?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
30 minute break hasn't been an issue until tonight. I did not have the time to get to our "planned" stop because of traffic etc. That irritated me because now I have a forced stop that wastes my time and does nothing for "so called" safety. Before this asinine rule, I could have made it to my original stop and been in the sleeper for my break. Before the new rules, I took short breaks often, bathroom, coffee, walk the dog etc. Now I seem to drive for a longer period at a stretch because I know I have to take that "30 minute forced break" in my driving time. How safe is that?

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Also, none of them actually went into their sleepers. A couple went inside to get coffee or snacks. Most used the time to check their oil, tires, lights, etc.
There's no requirement to use the sleeper for this break. Going in to use the restroom or get a snack while on line 1 is perfectly okay.