My Father has passed away

Deville

Not a Member
My Father passed away on Friday, December 13th from complications from an injury he sustained on 10/31/13. He fell in his home, hit his head & was on a blood thinner that caused severe complications. He never recovered post surgery.

Born on Friday March 13th 1940 mid-wife in his parents home on Kenmare st. in Manhattan My Grand Father changed his "official" birthday to March 14th because he did not want his son to have been born on Friday the 13th. How ironic that his death came on Friday the 13th.. My father would speak of his up bringing on the lower east side often & was very proud of where he came from.

My Father was a huge influence in my life. He was such a good man. My Mother who was a difficult woman was sick for many years through out my life & he took care of her until she passed away in April of 2010. He lived his life, but at the end of the day he came home to her every day for 43 years & she wasn't very nice to him most of the time.

The real shame of this situation is that my Father was 99% healthy when this accident happened. His only issue was an ongoing issues with blood clots in his leg that I believe began in 1987 when he slipped & fell on the ice out side of our home. The issue became more prevalent in 1999 when he was hospitalized for the clots. & since than they would come & go, but the past couple of years they became more of an issue & the normal blood thinners weren't working so he was given a very powerful non reversible thinner. The worst thing in the world that could have happened to him happened to him. A head injury.

My Pops took very good care of himself during the course of his life, exercised every day, played sports as a young man, didn't smoke, didn't drink to excess, we did enjoy our meals. Him & I could watch Sports & talk for hours while picking on all sorts of different foods that we liked, & than say to each other we really need to watch what we are eating. But the net day we would both be in the gym working it off.

My Dad was a good man. I'm so happy he lived long enough to see his first & only Grand child, my Son Daniel. I'm so sad that Daniel will not get to meet this great man & learn from him like I did. I'm going to miss him very much.

The Funeral is today.

Please take a moment to read his obituary. It only scratches the surface of his accomplishments but I think it gives you an idea of who he was & how good of a person he was.

Thomas Aiello, 73 | SILive.com

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sorry for you loss. I know he will be missed. We will keep you and your family in our prayers.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
May he live on in your memories and rest in peace.
Our sincerest condolences.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Very sorry for your loss. I may not know you at all but many of us know your pain. It will get easier. It will be a while. But, as they always say, he's in a much better place. Smile for him while you remember him in great health.

ScottInBama

Expert Expediter
Driver
So sorry for your loss. Celebrate his life and cherish the memories.

Sent from my LGL45C using EO Forums mobile app

VTurri

Seasoned Expediter
Sorry for your loss

Thomas sounds like he was a great guy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am so sorry for your loss. Home everyday for 43 years, such a great man, husband and a father.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Thank you for sharing your memories with us,I lost my father when I was five,to a heart attack,all I remember is the Funeral home. My condolences to you and your family.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm sorry for your loss. My Dad passed away fourth of July last year. It's tough losing a Dad but you're lucky that you had not just a father but a great Dad.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Excellent post. You had a great father. I pray you live out his legacy as a good person.

Thank God for good influences in our lives.

Deville

Not a Member
Thank you everyone for the kind words. My Dad was a good man, a special man. I learned so much from him. He gave me fundamental core values & I really hope I did him proud.

In my eulogy to him at his funeral I spoke of of how my Father always told me that I was a reflection upon him. That everything I did was a reflection on him, my Mother & myself. I added that I can only hope the last time that I saw him & he looked at me & into my eyes that he saw his reflection in me, & as I continue through life & I walk that fine line of being my own person & living up to the examples he set forth for me that when I look in the mirror I see his reflection staring back at me.

This is such a very painful time for me. I knew he was injured badly, but I never NEVER thought he would die. I really thought he would walk out of the hospital/nursing home is 7-10 months.

I got word yesterday through one of our political allies that they will be putting my Fathers name before the NYC city council for a street naming in an upcoming council session. I just need to pick the street.

It's a nice gesture, & I hope it happens but I wish my Dad was alive to see it.