My 1st complaint on my new Promaster

BiggMaNN59

Active Expediter
Here I go again!! I sent my Promaster out with a new hire that had 30 yrs tractor trailer exp.
She got a run from Des Moines IA to New York City NY and now my cursed Promaster has multiple warning lutes showing and something burning coming thru vents and won't start. Is being towed to garage in PA as I type this. Losing money and am ready to trade for a V6 gas or Ford Transit.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I 'm not a small engine diesel fan...I have the V6 gas PM....and with all the DEF and other diesel problems...I would not buy a Diesel engine in the PM , Transit or Sprinter vans .. I could own and drive any of the 3 ....but NO Diesel engine for me..... IMO only ...:D

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I 'm not a small engine diesel fan...I have the V6 gas PM....and with all the DEF and other diesel problems...I would not buy a Diesel engine in the PM , Transit or Sprinter vans .. I could own and drive any of the 3 ....but NO Diesel engine for me..... IMO only ...:D

Being a guinea pig is too expensive and risky for this business.

BiggMaNN59

Active Expediter
Van had DEF problems and computer was reset. Service dept said they had 4 diesel vans on lot returned by customers for refunds due to def problems. My driver Quit and does not trust van. Service said it will probably shut down again before she gets home. I can't afford pmts with no income and crap van. Will talk to dealer about returning it.

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
Van had DEF problems and computer was reset. Service dept said they had 4 diesel vans on lot returned by customers for refunds due to def problems. My driver Quit and does not trust van. Service said it will probably shut down again before she gets home. I can't afford pmts with no income and crap van. Will talk to dealer about returning it.
These DEF troubles are just so maddening. I am still just clearing my own DEF codes in my Sprinter. I hate to see that the PM are having the same trouble. Best of luck.

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
Before all of this DEF business, I had been griping about us not getting small diesels here in the States. They are really the most efficient way to power most any car van or truck. Now that we finally start to get them, the emissions requirements are bound to doom them. I'm not a person who bashes the EPA. I am glad we have cleaned up the air. I just think the emissions requirements have gone one step beyond the technology when it comes to diesels.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

Hopefully it works out. Like I mentioned before you can tell the bank that you don't want it and they will deny the financing if it hasn't cleared yet but maybe the dealer will do the right thing.

BiggMaNN59

Active Expediter
My dealer is offering me a total buy back or swap for a 2015 V 6 gas. Impressed so far with dealer. What would YOU guys do?
Swap for v 6 or take buyback!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
the Dodge dealer I was just at said the biggest issue they are seeing with DEF vans....people are OVER filling the oil! NEVER over fill the oil....better to be a little under then over....when having an oil change ALWAYS let it drain 100%...the excess will spew into the filters and there is the resulting damage...I would imagine any DEF truck/van would be effected...

Reactions: in-Transit

paullud

Veteran Expediter
My dealer is offering me a total buy back or swap for a 2015 V 6 gas. Impressed so far with dealer. What would YOU guys do?
Swap for v 6 or take buyback!!

I would go with the V6 so that you can get your plans back on track. I have heard good things about it so far and the technology isn't a lab experiment like diesels.

BiggMaNN59

Active Expediter
OVM that makes sense although I have not changed oil yet or even added. My driver said she saw several diesel PM's sitting on side of road broke down and also being towed on her way back to Nebraska from New York.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM that makes sense although I have not changed oil yet or even added. My driver said she saw several diesel PM's sitting on side of road broke down and also being towed on her way back to Nebraska from New York.
well nearly every new diesel is having DEF problems of one kind or another.....we as a country really need to clean up our diesel....this 40 cetane crap is just that.....a 50 would burn so much cleaner and produce more HP and get rid of the Bio crap as well.....all that waxiness is not helping at all....so many little factors make for one big F-----kup! IMO

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Sorry you are having problems with Your Diesel PM.....
My ? Now is your driver is telling You that she seen several diesel PM s broke down on the side of road...I ? this statement from her because I bought my Gas PM last July (now 87,000 miles) later I have yet to SEE a broke down PM period.... now Yes I know EO members have had some issues with the PM and new Transits but Yet I've never seen 1 along road broke down ...let alone Claiming they were Diesel PM s.... I m guessing she is just frustrated with the issues on New Van having problems and adding to the Story.... We all get frustrated at times out here ...so I understand ....
I 've only seen a Diesel PM on a dealer lot by Raleigh ,NC and never seen 1 out here on road.... thats why I bring this up..... good luck and the V-6 gas...

BiggMaNN59

Active Expediter
Sorry you are having problems with Your Diesel PM.....
My ? Now is your driver is telling You that she seen several diesel PM s broke down on the side of road...I ? this statement from her because I bought my Gas PM last July (now 87,000 miles) later I have yet to SEE a broke down PM period.... now Yes I know EO members have had some issues with the PM and new Transits but Yet I've never seen 1 along road broke down ...let alone Claiming they were Diesel PM s.... I m guessing she is just frustrated with the issues on New Van having problems and adding to the Story.... We all get frustrated at times out here ...so I understand ....
I 've only seen a Diesel PM on a dealer lot by Raleigh ,NC and never seen 1 out here on road.... thats why I bring this up..... good luck and the V-6 gas...

It was hard for me to believe too but I did not question her. Probably exaggerated a bit.

She also was offered a 455 mile run to Chicago on way home and turned it down even though she was on I 80 thru Chicago.

BiggMaNN59

Active Expediter
Picked up my replacement PM today. Got a 2015 PM 2500 High top 159" length with V 6 gas instead of diesel. Has pretty much all same options but no power heated mirrors. Seems odd to not have but did gain a drivers side sliding cargo door. Had plenty of get up and go but drove home 150 miles in 40 to 50 mph winds and was a :censoredsign: keeping on road. Mpg average was 15 but wind made it low. Will take 2 more weeks to get all paperwork done and check for about 3600.00 for differance in price. Hope this one does not crap out.

BiggMaNN59

Active Expediter
Drove new gas PM to Dr in OmahaNE today and really like it since problem with my Diesel PM. 600 miles today in a lot
Of wind and getting 17.9 mpg.

Reactions: ntimevan