My 1st complaint on my new Promaster

BiggMaNN59

Active Expediter
So far I love my new PM but.... 2 days ago I started it in morning to go get things done before heading back out on road to make some money. Start it up and dash shows warning to see dealer adapt for throttle sender. Go to Dodge dealer here in town and said they don't work on Promaster. Great!!! Call my dealer in Grand Island NE said try 70 miles north to North Platte and of course same happened.so I turned on and off key and dash cleared but Def warning said will shut down engine in 200 miles. Had to drive 150 miles next morning to GI dealer waited 9 hrs said code reset but erg valve bad not able to fix till Monday. Drove back home in loaner minivan not a happy camper. So much for leaving Tuesday. Van has 350 miles on it. Love van but worried about reliability now.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I believe it usually takes about 30 days for the bank financing to actually go through. I would look into telling them that you don't want that particular van so that the dealership gets forced to take it back. If you are having emissions problems already I would be frightened.

Reactions: Opel2010

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
I wouldn't buy a new diesel with all of this emissions garbage on them there so unpredictable to how there gonna act. they still need to work out all of the kinks. I heard more horror stories with em than there worth

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hope it wasn't all that chocolate frosting on your birthday cake that mucked up the DEF system.

BiggMaNN59

Active Expediter
Def system is not filled to full when sitting on lot due to getting old after a few months. When it was sold to me prep dept did not full tank to proper level therefore lite came on saying it needed 2 gallons added. That is what I did but did not know at time. So that is ok but erg valve they said was premature in going bad. Chocolate frosting just splashed on side of van and when I wiped it off I got it all over steering wheel and my face.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Def system is not filled to full when sitting on lot due to getting old after a few months. When it was sold to me prep dept did not full tank to proper level therefore lite came on saying it needed 2 gallons added. That is what I did but did not know at time. So that is ok but erg valve they said was premature in going bad. Chocolate frosting just splashed on side of van and when I wiped it off I got it all over steering wheel and my face.

Well that worked out ok then other then a little hassle and grief...glad you got it figured out.....had a friend their wiper motor went kabutz in the first year...manufacturers defect.....it happens, Thats life.......:) Ken aka OVM

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wouldn't buy a new diesel with all of this emissions garbage on them there so unpredictable to how there gonna act. they still need to work out all of the kinks. I heard more horror stories with em than there worth

Say thank you EPA......:(

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
AGREE!! DEF fluid is the EPA'S wet dream!!! isn't there anything that the guvment don't screw up that they get there hands into:confused:

tknight

Veteran Expediter
What year did mb start this def crap, my friends looking to buy a used sprinter but he's getting nervous r after readin about all this gold part pricing for repairs no one seems to know how to fix

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What year did mb start this def crap, my friends looking to buy a used sprinter but he's getting nervous r after readin about all this gold part pricing for repairs no one seems to know how to fix

I believe the 2007's started this mess. That's why 2006 is my cut off point :)

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's not a Mercedes specific problem. All of them use def now, and the ones who didn't (Navistar) had their own nightmares.

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
I'm pretty sure Sprinters didn't start DEF until 2009 or 2010. They started the DPF in 2007 but didn't add DEF until later.

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
what about EGR'S weren't they started in 2004:confused:. another wonderfull device that's designed to save the earth by blowing up your motor every 5 years:mad:

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
what about EGR'S weren't they started in 2004:confused:. another wonderfull device that's designed to save the earth by blowing up your motor every 5 years:mad:

I know my 2004 Sprinter had some EGR issues. If you idled it too long it would go into limp mode until you cleaned the EGR or hit it gently with a hammer. lol

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm pretty sure Sprinters didn't start DEF until 2009 or 2010. They started the DPF in 2007 but didn't add DEF until later.

That is correct, all down hill after 2006. Just heard today of a fleet owner turning in all of his 2012's for 2015's due to ongoing DEF problems.

BiggMaNN59

Active Expediter
Got my Promaster back today after it being in shop since last Friday morning. Put in erg valve and kept doing other jobs instead of mine like I was told. Very disappointed with service department at Roy Grand Dodge in Grand Island, NE. Sales department was great. Now plan on getting floor and steps and personal supplies in so can leave next Monday.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is correct, all down hill after 2006. Just heard today of a fleet owner turning in all of his 2012's for 2015's due to ongoing DEF problems.

2007 was the first year with the particulate filters but the DEF wasn't till 2010...but troubles started with the 2007's...clogged filters and crap...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got my Promaster back today after it being in shop since last Friday morning. Put in erg valve and kept doing other jobs instead of mine like I was told. Very disappointed with service department at Roy Grand Dodge in Grand Island, NE. Sales department was great. Now plan on getting floor and steps and personal supplies in so can leave next Monday.

I had a service dept. like that once...Reason: Service writer was the wife of the service manager and all her write ups got bumped up and techs were pulled from other writers autos to do hers as they are paid by the write up! all day for a simple job...and a very ****ed off tech as well!!!