Multiple Number Cell Phones

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok you cell phone experts...I met a young guy tonight said he worked for Apple..he had what he said will be a phone that apple will released within 2 yrs..it was real thin but other then that about the same size as a current 4s (he said it was made from liquid metal)..but the thing i liked was that it had 2 different phone numbers in it and he said when it goes public, it will be able to have 3 different numbers..

He said this feature is not available at all right now, but i vaguely remember hearing that it was...

So my question is, does anyone know of a phone on the market now that has the capacity for 2 different numbers and and dhile i would by one would you and if not, why not" And from a tech standpoint what would the issues be?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I'm sure if that guy didn't work for Apple he would've told you that you can already have 2 numbers going to your cell phone. All you need to do is setup a Google Voice account and once they give you a number you just forward the calls to your cell phone. That will let you have a business number and personal number that go to one phone. The other way is to have a phone that has 2 SIM cards which would allow you to have a number for each SIM card. I don't have a need for this setup right now so I wouldn't be interested but someone that gets a lot of voice mail or business calls might.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Kyle06

Seasoned Expediter
I'm sure if that guy didn't work for Apple he would've told you that you can already have 2 numbers going to your cell phone. All you need to do is setup a Google Voice account and once they give you a number you just forward the calls to your cell phone. That will let you have a business number and personal number that go to one phone. The other way is to have a phone that has 2 SIM cards which would allow you to have a number for each SIM card. I don't have a need for this setup right now so I wouldn't be interested but someone that gets a lot of voice mail or business calls might.

Yup I was thinking the same thing, been using Google Voice for quite awhile now and like it much better than Verizons Voicemail System

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Google Voice is certainly one way. Multiple SIM card phones are rare here, but are common overseas, where each SIM card is its own number. You can also sign up with any phone company and have that number forwarded to your phone. With the iPhone there is also the popular Line2 - How It Works - Overview Line2 thing that lets you use a second number for VoIP.

In 2010 Apple bought the rights to Liquidmetal, an amorphose metal manufactured by Liquidmetal Technologies. He may have had an early prototype, despite Apple being unbelievably anal about where their prototypes are allowed to go and be seen.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Are multiple numbers absolutely mandatory or could different ringtones for different callers/categories suffice?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I don't want to disappoint anyone here but the idea that our technology is the most advanced is wrong. In what we would consider 3rd world countries in Africa they have better cell phone technology, they have systems setup that allow them to purchase things from stores or regular people through their phone but we are just getting started. There are other countries that you scan your phone at a vending machine and charge the soda or whatever and it shows up on your cell phone bill. I think there are a few reasons we are so far behind one is that we already have systems in place that would be hard to change, the second is that Americans don't like change, and the third is that we have a lot of disposable income so they take us through stages to get every dollar they can.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
i understand call forwarding, i have done that for yrs..this phone actually had 2 numbers seperate from each other it would be like 2 seperate sim cards and both functioning at the same time...allowing the user to be able to get calls and send calls from each number on seperate lines as if it were 2 phones in one.... i am not stating this as fact, its what was told to me..he might have been bs'ing me for all i know, but its what he said..i asked because i knew some here kept up with this stuff...

Leo its not a matter of mandatory, it just is what it is...I have 3 phone lines and 2 phones, one for my business and one for personal..i carry 2 phones every day...for me, 1 one that rang from 2 seperate numbers would be nice.....