Mr Heater, Revisited

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I just got one of these things on the good word about em from some EO members here. I also got a Carbon Monoxide detector to go w/ it. I feel better about having some heat because before I didn't really feel to comfortable w/ the idea of delivering to a cold weather area. Now w/ this & a few configurations on my van I think I'm all set no matter where I deliver too.

On a post awhile back someone asked about the cost of this. After the $79 purchase price (at Lowes) from my understanding you get about 5 hours for $2.50 of propane. That comes out to .50 cents/hour. I wouldn't leave it running overnight. That's not very safe. Add to that my van stays warm for about 45 minutes once it's warmed up & I'll be long asleep in a cozy sleeping bag by that time.

So I don't know the exact cost per day to use the thing, but it's not very much I wouldn't think.

A question I have is where do you dispose of the propane container? I don't feel comfortable throwing it in the trash. I don't want it exploding on someone when a garbage truck crushes it.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I actually did google Propane Disposal. I was more looking for a place. I wasn't even aware the thing you gave me the link to existed. I bought mine at Lowes & to my knowledge they didn't have a disposal center.

So I was more thinking the ideas would be people saved em up & took em to the landfill or just not sure what to expect.

I've never used propane before. I'd like to be safe w/ it not only when I use it, but also be safe for others who've got to deal w/ it when I'm done.

Sorry ya felt it was lazy. I perceived it as not wanting to bone someone because of my ignorance.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I actually did google Propane Disposal. I was more looking for a place. I wasn't even aware the thing you gave me the link to existed. I bought mine at Lowes & to my knowledge they didn't have a disposal center.

So I was more thinking the ideas would be people saved em up & took em to the landfill or just not sure what to expect.

I've never used propane before. I'd like to be safe w/ it not only when I use it, but also be safe for others who've got to deal w/ it when I'm done.

Sorry ya felt it was lazy. I perceived it as not wanting to bone someone because of my ignorance.

Sorry Danny my wife was logged in and I did not notice....I just woke up after a long day in the hospital and I was a little rough on ya...I apologize....

Hope the link helps ya....for us we just toss them...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Danny
They don't crush easily, I know because I tried.

Refill them - adapter is $25 and with some dry ice and a tank of propane, it save money.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
i quit using those little 1 lb bottles early last winter. a 20 lb tank, hose kit and filter save money and no messing with getting rid of the little bottles or refilling them...20 lb tank of propane is running from 17.50 to 20.00 exchange right now and i have never paid more then 22 bucks.......

i think there is something like 17.5 lbs of propane in a 20 lb tank....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Chef,
How long does it last for you?

I used to use mine on super low, and a pound would last about 8 hours with it being about 10 degrees outside. If it was warmer than that, I would have to shut the thing off.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I use the 20 lb tank and just exchange it at Walmart or some Pilots have them generally not hard to find a place to exchange the tank. my tank seems to last about a week to 10 days no firm time frame right now this the first winter for me to use this set up and have been in and out of the cold areas.

breeze

Seasoned Expediter
what a relief to hear that a few real people can get by without one of those super high priced heaters and I read how they break and dont work all the time.my vote is for propane too. WE USED to use them in ice shantys and to keep our potatoes from freezing when hauling bulk out of N DAKOTA TO THE Keystone. Well everyone keep warm and have a good RIDE.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
How long a tank last depends on how cold it is outside...the big buddy heater (the 2 bottle big unit) will burn about 1 lb very 5 hours on the 4000 btu (low) setting) with either the bottle or the tank. I do run it all night when it is really cold and i also will run it all day when it is really cold. Yesterday in Somerset PA it was on 21 hours, the only time it was off was when i went to eat twice...other then that it was on and i am still on that tank and it will be on all night.....I now keep 2 tanks with me, that way i am never without an mostly full tank for more then 1 day. As for using it all night, it is on low and the roof vent and ft windows are open a few inches.. I like t breathe cold air but what the "room" warm....i run it on high (12000 btu's) for the 1st 15-20 minutes each morning when it s cold to get it really warm....i like to breathe cold air but need to feel warm...my wife knows when i am home when she walks into the house, as soon as i get home, the furnace is kicked up to 78-80 and it stays there till i leave or i am in bed ( we sleep in a heated waterbed with a electic blanket, and the bedroom windows open) Cold is not something i mess with...i have to be warm...

So if i sat down and fiured it, id say with approx 17 lbs of fuel, on the low setting id say 75-80 hours from a 20 lb tank and that tank cost as i said between 17-20 bucks right now...17 1 lb bottles at 2.50 per is what....42.50 !?!? thats 2 tanks for the mist part......