MPG gas vs diesel

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have no intention of moving to South Dakota, nor is there any good reason for me to do so. However, if you want to move there don't let me stop you. I merely stated some facts. If those facts came across as whining--- maybe you should get your whine-o-meter checked. It's a wee bit off.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have no intention of moving to South Dakota either. If we all started moving there, ken would have to move south to the middle of nowhere Nebraska.

My point about f.s.c. being based on the national average price of diesel fuel being a bonus for gas burners is the disparity between the national average price of diesel and gasoline. Today, according to AAA or AA on the wino-meter the average national price for regular gasoline is $3.47/gal. Diesel is $3.88/gal. I average just under 17 mpg in my gas Chevy. A 40 cent difference at the pump brings my fuel cost per mile much closer to OVM's Sprinter cost per mile.

I'm sure most carriers base their f.s.c. on diesel because the majority of their fleet burns diesel. It makes things much simpler.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have no intention of moving to South Dakota either. If we all started moving there, ken would have to move south to the middle of nowhere Nebraska. My point about f.s.c. being based on the national average price of diesel fuel being a bonus for gas burners is the disparity between the national average price of diesel and gasoline. Today, according to AAA or AA on the wino-meter the average national price for regular gasoline is $3.47/gal. Diesel is $3.88/gal. I average just under 17 mpg in my gas Chevy. A 40 cent difference at the pump brings my fuel cost per mile much closer to OVM's Sprinter cost per mile. I'm sure most carriers base their f.s.c. on diesel because the majority of their fleet burns diesel. It makes things much simpler.

Agreed to a point..BUT the newer sprinters are like 17-20 mpg....now you have a better advantage....

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Agreed to a point..BUT the newer sprinters are like 17-20 mpg....now you have a better advantage....

Then the added cost of DEF and the price increase for the diesel emission crap when you buy a new unit. Gas units are winning with the FSC based on diesel when you factor all this in. I think GM wants close to 10k this year just for the Diesel option.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Considering how carriers already take advantage of contractors overcharging for QC etc. perhaps it's a good idea to keep quiet at times rather than suggesting more ways for them to take money out of contractor pockets.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think all sorts of things are thought of at all sorts of times and some of them go on a back burner hopefully to be long forgotten unless a reminder comes along. The point isn't that it hasn't been thought of but that it shouldn't be reminded and encouraged. Sometimes silence truly is golden.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think all sorts of things are thought of at all sorts of times and some of them go on a back burner hopefully to be long forgotten unless a reminder comes along. The point isn't that it hasn't been thought of but that it shouldn't be reminded and encouraged. Sometimes silence truly is golden.

Point Taken Leo.....guess I was just trying to stir up them CV'ers a little....shake the dog and see if the fleas fall out.....but in Moots case.....LOL

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, I doubt anyone would believe it but there are even more times I want to say stuff and stir the pot than what I do. Once in a while I manage to resist.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
My past experience with gas and diesel vans has proven the diesel was a better option for long hauls and being cost effective. I used to get better mileage out of the diesels. Yes the newer diesels do seem to get lower mpg than past units and also the Ford 6.0 semed to be a problem plagued engine (fixits were available). I have noticed the new vans with the 6 speed transmissions and such seem to be making great improvements in mpg for gassers and match or exceed older diesel equipped vans. Hopefully the mfrs are making the same improvements in diesel units. One complaint I did notice many Ford van owners had was the mileage they got when compared to other brands seemed to be lower overall. Yes driving style does matter and so does speed. I found 65 mph was highest and be able to keep mpg reasonable with 55 mph being about optimum. So out with the calculator and work out the difference in cost of gas and diesel and the mpg for each and go from there. For me diesel worked out over the long term and I made back the difference in cost and more over the life of the van.