MPG gas vs diesel

goby42

Active Expediter
Can anyone give me an average hwy mpg for Ford E-350 cargo van 5.4 gas, and the 6.0 diesel?

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also keep in mind the FSC is calculated on the National Average of DIESEL......so you gassers are profiting even better!

IF I were a carrier I'd impose a National Average of gas FSC...and pay accordingly...a lesser rate then diesel CV's..

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
MPG that each get is sooo subjective..I know of 2 people that drive the same vechicles with the same exact powertrain as i have and they get 2 mpg more then me...and it ain't the trucks fault.....its all based on the person driving....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
MPG that each get is sooo subjective..I know of 2 people that drive the same vechicles with the same exact powertrain as i have and they get 2 mpg more then me...and it ain't the trucks fault.....its all based on the person driving....

and your point?...."different" drivers are penalized......LOL

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can get different results from one tankful to the next. Am I facing headwinds or am I running before the wind? Hills? How fast am I trying to go? What about air temperature? It all figures in there.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can't answer to your specific vehicles but I can tell you with my 09 Chev 3500 6.0 4sp 3.73 I think it is I can get 16.x all day long and if I drive just for mileage I can get 18. I considered diesel but with a huge price premium and higher operating costs it seemed to be a wash compared to the lower mpg gasoline.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't answer to your specific vehicles but I can tell you with my 09 Chev 3500 6.0 4sp 3.73 I think it is I can get 16.x all day long and if I drive just for mileage I can get 18. I considered diesel but with a huge price premium and higher operating costs it seemed to be a wash compared to the lower mpg gasoline.

Which makes my point....you are over paid.....you get a FSC based on diesel price....your FSC should be calculated at the gas rate....which is lower...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
You want to change it to the price of gas for gas powered units, thats fine, then also lower the mpg number its figured on also...

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You want to change it to the price of gas for gas powered units, thats fine, then also lower the mpg number its figured on also...

Once you do that, we gas burners just might be underpaid.

Truth: During the days I had my Sprinter and I was doing a regular route, I figured the cost of fuel both for my Sprinter and what I knew my old Ford had gotten. It came out that fuel and a 300 a month car payment combined for the Sprinter came out to $100 a month less than gasoline alone for the Ford. So, OVM, considering that-- are we gas-burners still overpaid??? Seems our FSC might be a bit more if you're correct and it's figured on a gallon of diesel.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
IF I were a carrier I'd impose a National Average of gas FSC...and pay accordingly...a lesser rate then diesel CV's..

Oh yeah! Well if I were a carrier I'd impose an FSC based on the national average of diesel fuel and then pay my contractors an FSC based on the Midwest average. (Stick one of those smiley face things here → )

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh yeah! Well if I were a carrier I'd impose an FSC based on the national average of diesel fuel and then pay my contractors an FSC based on the Midwest average. (Stick one of those smiley face things here ;)

Fixed it for ya

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Really?....LOL

No, not really. I have no desire to become a carrier. Besides, it is not a very original idea. Your former carrier implemented this scheme awhile ago.

and your point?...."different" drivers are penalized......LOL

"Different" drivers aren't penalized. Owners of gas powered vehicles are getting a slight bonus. You could just buy a gas powered American slop bucket and reap the benefits.

I could whine about my neighbor to my west, you, who isn't subject to state personal income taxes or I could move to South Dakota.

Thanks Ragman for the smiley face!

Last edited:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not sure how much "bonus" I get, since I can prove that my gas engine burns significantly more fuel and costs more per mile as a result. The FSC, as I understand it, is per mile. If it were per gallon, then yes, I might get a bonus.

When I was a courier, running a route: 200 miles average per day. Cost of the Sprinter, fuel and 300 a month car payment combined, at 21 miles to the gallon, came to 100 dollars less a month than my old Ford, which got 14 miles to the gallon cost for gasoline alone. Right now, the price of diesel and gasoline are real close per gallon in my neighborhood, so the Sprinter would kick the ford's rear in cost. Now, tell me again about that "bonus".