Moving sea turtle eggs from gulf coast to florida coast

Seasoned Expediter
I just watched our local news and they are moving the sea turtle eggs and transporting to atlantic coast of florida. They said fed ex was going to provide cost and thought transportation. Any body know if its any of us cc contractors. They have to be temp controlled thats why i think its custom critical.

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
I would volunteer to run the load for the cost of fuel. I have a deep affection for wildlife and hearing about all those poor helpless creatures breaks my heart!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
This is from the weekly email. If you do not receive the weekly email and would like to get this please PM me and I will send you the address.

FedEx Rescuing Sea Turtle Eggs from Oil Spill Areas

FedEx Custom Critical is working with other FedEx operating companies to transport sea turtle nests and eggs from potential impacts of the oil spill in the northern Gulf of Mexico. FedEx Corp. is donating resources to transport hundreds of nests containing thousands of eggs to Florida’s Atlantic Coast. The relocation efforts are scheduled to begin in mid-July and continue throughout the hatching season.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Having recently purchased a house on Florida's Atlantic Coast, and as a reefer truck contractor, I'm daydreaming about a dedicated run on I-10 and I-95. Expediters home every week under load, and in Florida no less! That would be one for the books!

Think of it. When the little baby turtles hatch and bond with the FedEx trucks they take for their mothers, they would have no trouble keeping up because the trucks are now speed limited.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm sorry, but I can't get excited about this crap. Actually it angers me! This type of money, recources, and efforts need to be directed to helping humans, not turtles.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'm sorry, but I can't get excited about this crap. Actually it angers me! This type of money, recources, and efforts need to be directed to helping humans, not turtles.

I suggest that you Move. Jupiter is quite lovely this time of year. Whats good for the turtles, benefits all of mankind.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Not to worry. Far more money than what is being spent on turtles is being spent on humans in this country. To the tune of billions. People have the ability to help themselves. Those eggs do not. Not all that much was spent.

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I suggest that you Move. Jupiter is quite lovely this time of year. Whats good for the turtles, benefits all of mankind.

I was simply expressing my opinion. I thought that was permissible in this public open format. But as is all to often the case, others need to respond with some ridiculous b…s… like “move to Jupiter” and “what is good for turtles is good for all mankind”.

Last edited:

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
Mygia, these turtles are an endangered species. If animals that have been hatching their eggs on these beaches since before the dawn of man can not co-exist on this planet - man too will parrish. An ocean devoid of life, cannot sustain life. This planet is not for mankind alone - although, most I've met believe it is. We must share it.

Not being rude - these are facts.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Deepwater Horizon Incident Joint Information Center
Press Release:

More than 45 threatened and endangered sea turtle hatchlings were released the night of Aug. 2, on a remote beach along Florida’s East Coast, the final stage in an unprecedented rescue effort.

Since June 26, 135 sea turtle nests have been relocated by government agencies and FedEx from beaches in the path of the oil spill in Alabama, Mississippi and the Florida Panhandle to a secure, climate-controlled facility at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center on Merritt Island, Fla. So far, 2,168 hatchlings completed their incubation and were released into the Atlantic Ocean.

Scientists from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, the National Park Service and NOAA devised the rescue plan rather than risk the hatchlings encountering oil as they entered the Gulf of Mexico. Sea turtle conservation groups were also consulted, and FedEx developed a transportation solution to traverse 500-plus miles of Florida per run with minimal vibration and close temperature control.

“While there are still many nests left to hatch at Kennedy, we’re ecstatic about the early results from this high-stakes mission to preserve and protect these amazing sea creatures,” said Tom Strickland, Assistant Secretary of the Interior for Fish and Wildlife and Parks, who attended last night’s release along with Nick Wiley, Executive Director of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, and Virginia Albanese, CEO of FedEx Custom Critical. “Thanks to the helping hands of many terrific partners, we are seeing success from an unprecedented operation to save this year’s hatchlings from what could have been a catastrophic loss.”

The hatchlings are primarily loggerhead sea turtles, which are under consideration for reclassification from threatened to endangered due to their decline.

Jeff Trandahl, executive director of the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation (NFWF) said, “The collective efforts and quick action by our partners at FedEx and federal agencies have been essential to offering these sea turtles the best hope for survival and NFWF is proud to have played a part in helping move this extraordinary project forward.”

The number of nests relocated will continue to increase over the next few weeks, reaching peak the week of August 23, when FedEx will transport over 4,000 eggs per day. FedEx is donating logistics expertise and transportation for all eggs throughout the July – October sea turtle season, using air-ride suspension, temperature-controlled vehicles for the vibration and temperature sensitive sea turtle eggs.

Innovative Health Applications, LLC biologists and staff are overseeing the hatchery operations and nightly releases along the beaches of Florida’s Space Coast.

WKRG.com » Gulf Oil Spill

gadfly65

Seasoned Expediter
“I'm sorry, but I can't get excited about this crap. Actually it angers me! This type of money, recources, and efforts need to be directed to helping humans, not turtles.”

MYGIA-are you really disgruntled about taking resources and funds away from human activities or just trying to play point-counter point? I’m a bit surprised, what with your home being in PA, which is a very nature sensitive state.
There are 70-80,000 turtles at risk of dying- an entire generation. Two species (Green and Kemp’s Ridley) could easily become extinct because of something caused by humans. Where does it end? At what point do we, humans, completely ignore our role in the world community? While the argument may be made that ‘nature’ can take care of its own, there are times when we should and must intervene to help…especially when we created the problem in the first place.
Just as we are, at times, “our brother’s keeper”, we are caretakers of our environment. This is simply one of those times.
Regarding…”recources, and efforts need to be directed to helping humans…”, I’m assuming you are actively engaged in projects that do just that and your anger stems from funds being diverted from your other cause related efforts. If that is the case, I respect the defense and dedication for your cause. If, not, then what you are complaining about rings a bit hollow, albeit your right to express an opinion.
If you are looking for a cause to support your contention that “efforts need to be directed to helping humans”, might I suggest going to thegrowingconnection.org. There are over 1 billion, that’s right billion with a B, who live with chronic hunger today. If you will go to stopthehunger.com you will find statistics updated every second. So far this year 6,140,339 people have succumbed to starvation, an excruciatingly painful way to die.
The Growing Connection does not provide food for people, but rather tools, education and resources so that individuals, communities, regions and nations can provide for themselves and stand on their own, divorced as wards of the world.
I am one of the two FedEx TVAL vehicles moving turtle eggs and hatchlings from the oil soaked Gulf Coast to safe havens on the East Coast of Florida. I am also President of the United States Committee to the United Nations and a co-founder of The Growing Connection. If you cannot see your way clear to support the Gulf Coast Turtle Rescue Mission, then please join hundreds of others trying to reduce world hunger (world includes the USA). Please go to thegrowingconnection.org, join and fulfill your desire to “help humans, not turtles.”
Thank you, in advance

Reactions: 1 person

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I am one of the two FedEx TVAL vehicles moving turtle eggs and hatchlings from the oil soaked Gulf Coast to safe havens on the East Coast of Florida. I am also President of the United States Committee to the United Nations and a co-founder of The Growing Connection.

Your introduction and first-ever post shows once again that the EO Open Fourm is widely read. To satisfy my curiosity, may readers have your name, bio and links to the organizations you mentioned? More info about the turtle transport from one who is actually doing it would be of interest too.

gadfly65

Seasoned Expediter
“Your introduction and first-ever post shows once again that the EO Open Fourm is widely read. To satisfy my curiosity, may readers have your name, bio and links to the organizations you mentioned? More info about the turtle transport from one who is actually doing it would be of interest too.”

Phil-interesting, your choice of the Trebuchet typeface. The trebuchet, as you are aware, was a medieval catapult. I’ve read your blogs since joining FedEx CC some years ago and they have catapulted me to interesting reading, often inspiring.
I had the pleasure of meeting you and Diane on my first day with CC, when we attended a WG class at HQ in early 2008. You, both, were most gracious to me with advice and offers of assistance as a “newbie”.

Anyway, as a direct respond to your message:

My name is Bob Reddick, I currently drive a BR unit (BR1017) as part of the ExpediteItRight team. I’ve spent most of my professional life in executive positions in publishing & IT focused in the government contracting market spaces—not sure how to position a bio on this forum, yet.

Organization links:
The Growing Connection Under Construction
Hunger Statistics Stop the Hunger - world hunger statistics updated in real time
Personal Business website Misty River Optimal Organizations > Home: Experiential Training, Unique Teams, Optimal Performance

Regarding the Turtle Rescue Mission, I am one of two units currently supporting this project. The other unit is an ‘E’ unit which aggregates sea turtle extraction containers from several locations on the Gulf Coast. They are maintained in a temperature controlled environment, secure on especially designed pallets to hold them in place, away from each other with extra air bags, on each skid, to reduce vibrations during transit. The E unit’s primary focus is the transport of turtle eggs. They are taken to a dedicated incubator building an the Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral, FL. Great contrast here—an egg about the size of two quarters (side-by-side) housed near Shuttle hangers and Atlas rockets.

My role focuses on moving the hatchlings from similar locations to release sites near Jacksonville, Fl. I use the same skid type and maintain similar environmental controls—the difference being my cargo is moving and requires greater concentration relative to cargo shift, as they are moving around…just kidding…they are about the size of a business card. They are hilarious when released, often defying the axiom “slow as a turtle”.

I also serve as a feeder unit to the E unit, moving eggs from beach locations to the E staging lot, on the Florida State ‘B’ Preserve in Port St. Joe, FL. When on this type of assignment I get an opportunity to work with the hundreds of volunteers who locate, protect and excavate the turtle nests. They work around the clock, often individually staying with “their” nest for 30-40 hours before relief. Also, naturalists like Animal Planet’s Jeff Corwin are engaged. Mr. Corwin, by the way, is a most gracious person,-not at all what I have experienced from celebrity in the past. We are on call, 24 hours/day and move at the discretion of the turtles. The E unit is operated by a team and generally has daily runs. I am not bound by logs, but of course, need to maintain safe operating standards. I can move one turtle or hundreds, whatever is needed. The rest of the time it’s supporting Panera Bread, Borders Books or a local library.

I’ve just gotten into blogs, writing that is, and read yours with great interest. I especially like the “what I learned approach”. I may be contacting you for some advice.

Apologies for the response length…hope it sheds some light and am open to any questions.

Thank you,
Bob
[email protected]

YarnDoll

Seasoned Expediter
I was simply expressing my opinion. I thought that was permissible in this public open format. But as is all to often the case, others need to respond with some ridiculous b…s… like “move to Jupiter” and “what is good for turtles is good for all mankind”.

You are allowed to express your opinion; however try not to be too thin skinned when others don't agree with you. And remember, if something ridiculous is said it reflects on the one who made the statement; whether it's the original statement or the response.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
BR Unit busy on the rescue.the climate-controlled van of Bob Reddick, who owns one of two Fed-Ex vans that has been reconfigured to specialize in sea turtle deliveries.
“There are seven different computers in here if you’d believe that,” Reddick said proudly, gesturing at the inside of his vehicle. “Temperature, security, that kind of thing.”
Reddick’s van will deliver its turtle cargo to an 18-wheeler that collects eggs gathered in other states and takes them to the Kennedy Space Center near Orlando. So far the center has fostered about 6,000 nests and 23,000 eggs from along the gulf coast.

Attachments

• Turtle%20Rescue%201.img_assist_custom.jpg
    Turtle%20Rescue%201.img_assist_custom.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 479
Last edited: