Mounting E-Track in Cargo Van ('04 E250)

greyfin

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I recently bought a van to haul musical equipment (starting a band), and this site has convinced me that E-Track is the best thing since sliced bread... but while there are lots of nice "after" pictures, I'm still a little unsure as to how to proceed as far as mounting is concerned. First my general plans as they are now (open to change of course).

Load is primarily PA, amps, drums, instruments, an such. Not extremely heavy, but potentially fragile, so the ability to lock stuff down really appeals.

• Standard length van (cargo area a tad under 10 feet) with standard (non-sliding) doors, cargo trim (old MediaCom van)
  • I have sourced (locally) 3 10 ft lengths of horizontal E-track, and one 5 ft length. My plan was to mount two on the floor, two on the walls (with the short run on the side with the doors)
  • I've had trouble sourcing plywood any longer than 8ft lengths. I'd prefer to have the length in one board, but perhaps this doesn't matter so much? Intend to finish it with some water-based General Finishes (found in another thread here)
  • Did people route the back of their plywood such that they could overlap the mount points of the e-track? Is that overkill? I figure once I decide on mounting methodology for track, I can use similar technique for plywood?
  • I'm concerned about the e-tracks on the walls... my intent was to use those primarily to block off shorter loads with a bar and blocks of some sort. NOT to use straps (warnings found here taken to heart). Had a brother-in-law suggest there were safe ways to use straps that didn't bear straight across... but unsure if that's valid (and sure I'm not quite visualizing it)
  • I removed the MasteRack shelves that was in the van previously... have no need for them in my current plans, but not entirely sure the best way to divest myself of them. Craigslist I suppose... I figure most people who need them buy them WITH the van.
  • When I removed said shelves, I saw some interesting anchor bolts that, through my research appear to be most like "rivnuts" (although these left a star-shaped anchor on the back of the ribs... doesn't look exactly like rivnuts. Not sure if either of these solutions would be strong enough, but they certainly seem convenient. It seems like I'd be limited in how many I could drop (as opposed to the floor tracks)
  • The floor tracks seem the most straightforward... I could use simple bolt/washers combination, but I do note that some vendors sell backing plates. My gut is that would be over-kill, but... who knows. Ideas about ideal spacing? Dude at the trailer places suggested self-tapping screws. That'd be convenient of course, but sounded sort of slapdash to me.
  • I've seen the suggestions about vertical e-track at the ends of the cargo area... is this primarily related to the pallet loading (that won't apply to me), or is that something I should be considering too?
Any suggestions would be appreciated... my primary concern is with those wall tracks and how others have mounted theirs in similar situations, but sometimes (often times I guess), the most valuable answer you get is to the question you were too ignorant to ask! Thanks for reading.

(attached picture from before removing shelving... just in case the general case wasn't clear from my description)

Attachments

• DSC02818_med.png
    DSC02818_med.png
    1 MB · Views: 60

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've tried using a bar with the side e track in a ford. The walls arent straight enough for it to work unless there's enough articulation meaning standard load bars won't lock in.

You're overthinking it. Your equipment isn't like a 2000 pound skid, and you'd likely be fine with straps as long as you resist the urge to crank them down as hard as you can. What's the heaviest piece of equipment you have? If you can lift it and put it in the back without a forklift, all that's needed is to snug the straps and cross them so nothing can scoot out in an emergency stop.

By this logic, you'd be fine with using self tapping screws. Slightly more fancy would be drilling holes and riveting for a clean look. A stronger alternative would be welding in the e-track if you've got access to a welder, and the welds are proper.

Other than making sure to not screw/drill into any wiring, brake, or fuel lines its pretty easy. After the e-track is in the flooring is cut to go over the edges of it against the raised edge on the e track, hiding the screws/rivets/welds.

No it doesn't matter if you cut another piece to go above the 8 foot length, the seam will be tiny and the wood same height so stuff will slide fine. Use the factory cut edge againt the top of the 8 ft pieces and cut the edge behind the seats to make it easy to match up and clean.

There's a whole section on cargo flooring in here if you search...think it was in the cargo van sticky...

(Removed my floor gluing solution, just remembered how much my old E350 used to flex)

Another idea I just had...i get away with 8 d rings, you'd just need to secure the plywood and bolt in the rings to the edges of the floor and a few spots on the side frame rails if you wanted. Cheaper, faster, I haven't missed my e track yet

Last edited:
Reactions: greyfin

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Invest in good quality road cases they can be strapped in nice and square install your E track on the vertical support beams you can either welded in place or Drew let use real large like number 12 tapping screws and again you don't need to strap the living hell out of it

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I moved into her all the time and it usually only takes one strap but everything is in cases sometimes it's a treacherous pack but it's better than opening the door and just throwing stuff in like I've seen so many times other people do

Reactions: brokcanadian

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Please forgive any mistakes I had a stroke and December and can barely talk and I'm still paralyzed on the left hand side I don't think I'll ever be driving again

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Please forgive any mistakes I had a stroke and December and can barely talk and I'm still paralyzed on the left hand side I don't think I'll ever be driving again

Sorry to hear, tknight. Don't be a stranger on the forums! Glad you're still on EO

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

So sorry to hear that.. take care!!

Lost in Space.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I just finished my fourth week of rehab still no results paralyzed on the left side totally what's worse is I'm becoming a right-handed person

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I just finished my fourth week of rehab still no results paralyzed on the left side totally what's worse is I'm becoming a right-handed person
That sucks. My mom had a stroke, and it takes time, and it'll be frustrating. Hang in there.

traacker

Seasoned Expediter
Researching

Sorry to hear, tknight. Don't be a stranger on the forums! Glad you're still on EO

Therapy is painfully slow but can do miracles, seen it more than once with close friends. Hang tough.

Your posts mean a lot to newbies like me, hope you recover quickly, and keep posting too.