Motorcycle

mdscott

Seasoned Expediter
Can anyone tell me what the DOT rules are for having a motorcycle in the back of your truck. I am not talking about one that would be cargo that you haul for someone, I mean one that you store for personal use. Have heard conflicting stories, just trying to find out without stopping and asking at a weigh station. Thanks

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As far as I know there's nothing special you have to do. I have a friend that carried one in his box and it was never an issue in terms of DOT. You may miss out on a load because a shipper doesn't want his freight in with something like that, but it would be rare. I once hauled a military item that I wouldn't have gotten without a "clean" box and a motorcycle was mentioned as an item that would not be allowed.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
No rules but remember that unless you secure it and protect it, it may be damaged and you may have to pay for it out of pocket.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
don't remeber who did it but when they built there striaght truck between the sleeper and the box they made a box to carried the bike and when they wantn't use it they just lower ramp and off with the bike