Mexican trucking companies Infiltrate USA

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Okay people here it is... what we have been hearing but not believing.
The article is in the Wall Street journal Saturday/Sunday issue dated
February 24- 25, 2007. Page A3. Our esteem President is allowing a "trial pilot program". The transportation Department said the program could start as soon as April. It will allow 100 Mexican trucking companies unfettered access to the US. supposedly they will have to pass certain safety checks designed and overseen by US officals in Mexico. the next paragraph states the pay scale that Mexican drivers work under. Mexican drivers are paid one- third LESS than us.
Can you see it people.... And that blanket speed limit that has been talked about,.... all these new drivers, I hate to say
it, more accidents.... Well we had better implement that country wide speed limit, it's apparent that those truckers can't handle a high speed limit.
Contact your represenatives in Washington, OOIDA, your neighbors, VOICE YOUR OPINION...

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
Ya know there has been Mexican trucking companies up here for last few years running already its not new why do you think 125 expedite loads a day go to Laredo TX and only 50 or so come out of there a day? I have found Mexican trucks as far north as Detroit they make delivery and can run a load staying in the USA, Canada drivers cant even do that with out special permit. Wake up its not new its been going on for some time its just that the news media has finally taking an interest. I first became aware of it 2 years ago when a Dana plant was moving all its operations south of the boarder their was a Mexican truck picking up there and asked the forklift driver what goes. Then noticed same company trucks at lots of other places we go. My suggestion is start looking at every truck you see in shippers especially older tractors and trailers also on the highways as your passing most are pretty slow. But they are here already just look around!

Oh yeah the Mexican drivers don’t have to have a CDL either and what’s Insurance?

Was at a doc in Indiana last year and the Mexican truck took off with a forklift and driver in it driver managed to bail but the forklift wound up on the pavement, they found out they don’t carry any insurance at all go figure! Oh and I got there 3 hrs later the rusted out dot bar was still stuck to the dock lock.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Why is this all such a big supprise?

Giant sucking sound
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The "giant sucking sound" was United States Presidential candidate Ross Perot's colorful phrase for what he believed would be the negative effects of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), which he opposed. The phrase, coined during the 1992 U.S. presidential campaign, referred to the sound of U.S. jobs heading south for Mexico should the proposed free-trade agreement go into effect.

Perot ultimately lost the election, and the winner, Bill Clinton, supported NAFTA, which went into effect on January 1, 1994.

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I realize that they have been up here for sometime. We have passed them on the road, and had them pass us. We have written and called our Representatives in Washington it seems to no avail. They don't have to have anywhere near the regulations we do, perhaps that's why they are willing to work for mere peanuts. We aren't sure what the answer is, there has to be one somewhere. We also realize that they aren't all lousy drivers, there are lousy drivers in every company, but even the lousy drivers up here had to pass the same scrutinizing that those of us who are proud of our jobs, and drive as professionals not fly by night, here today, gone tomorrow attitude.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm wondering if those of you who have seen Mexican trucks outside the permitted 50 mile radius have ever called the Highway Patrol, or DOT, to report it? Just curious, as I don't think I've ever seen one, but I'd want to report it to the authorities if I did, same as I'd report a drunk driver.

heel4you

Expert Expediter
I agree with cheri. I have not seen any mexican trucks, but if I had I would have questioned it with athorities (not that they care or would do anything).
I have noticed that the media is not picking up on this story. Seems like it is being pushed under the rug so to speak as quickly as possible so it will not cause a stir.
Most say we need to close our borders....what about our highways?
We need to make our voices heard!!!!!

Ozone

Seasoned Expediter
Mexican trucks are already running around illegally in the United States and nobody will do anything about it.

Many US trucking companies in Laredo hire Mexican citizens with B1/B2 Visas that do not permit them to work in the US. Nobody is doing anything about it, including the Border Patrol when these Mexican drivers drive a U.S truck right through the checkpoint on Interstate 35. Celadon was a perfect example of this as their drivers were picking up the U.S. trucks in Laredo and going to Dallas. Somebody mentioned before that Celadon drivers had an H1B visa, this is not true, they had the B1/B2.

A Mexican citizen with a B1/B2 is allowed to cross the border with the truck and freight andy deliver it in the US and then pick up a load and depart. This works the same way as a Canadian driver, they cannot pickup a load in the US and deliver it in the US. If they pick up in the US and deliver in the US they are violating Immigration laws and should have their visa cancelled and deported back to Mexico.

There are some Mexican companies that have somehow obtained their US authority, I believe the owners are dual Mexican/American Citizens. Anyways, these Mexican trucks sit in Laredo and get a load going North and the Mexican driver with the B1/B2 visa drives right through the checkpoint but he is out of status because he is not bringing the load from Mexico. Border Patrol should cancell his visa and send him back to Mexico because his is violating his Immigration status, once again nothing is being done.

I believe these Mexican companies will be running loads all over the US and violating all kinds of cabotage rules and nothing will be done about it.