Merge

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When coming up on a construction zone, where a sign says "lane closed ahead", do you get over as soon as possible, or wait until the end and do a "zipper merge"?

I was taught to get over as soon as possible. Now apparently the DOT in Minnesota is promoting the zipper merge.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When coming up on a construction zone, where a sign says "lane closed ahead", do you get over as soon as possible, or wait until the end and do a "zipper merge"?

I was taught to get over as soon as possible. Now apparently the DOT in Minnesota is promoting the zipper merge.

I zipper merge. Eight years of NYC taught me to be a tad aggressive ;)

Sent from my XT1028 using EO Forums mobile app

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I zipper merge. Eight years of NYC taught me to be a tad aggressive ;)

Sent from my XT1028 using EO Forums mobile app
I guess MnDot says, that is the correct way to merge.

Trying that in S.E Mich will get you run out of the state. Lol.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Had to zipper when tractors think they need to play traffic cop.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Mn drivers are no more or less courteous than others [they're generally nicer in person, lol], but the Mn DOT is smarter than the states that permit chaos merging.
This is fair and orderly: win/win.
Plus, it takes all the fun out of it for the bullies who bypass everyone to cut in at the front - something they don't have the huevos to do on foot. Can you picture them pulling it in the bank, or post office?

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I never played traffic cop in my 18 and always hate it when others do. If you will notice that by allowing enough space between you and the vehicle ahead of you, if everyone did that, things could seamlessly merge without stopping. It's the drivers with "like hell you're gonna get in front of me!!" attitude that get everything screwed up. The a-holes who have to get to the front are never going to go away. Just another day at the office right? No sense getting all bent out of shape over it.

Sent from my C811 4G using EO Forums mobile app

Deville

Not a Member
i zipper merge. Eight years of nyc taught me to be a tad aggressive ;)

sent from my xt1028 using eo forums mobile app

you gotta take that merge like you own the roadway and the cars in the lanes are squatters that need to be moved out by force!

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was taught to merge at the gore point in 1970, it's hard now with all the trucks out there trying to be traffic cops and forcing people to merge 1 to 2 miles before the constructions gore point. Plus now a days no one leaves any distance between the vehicle in front of them so you can merge and keep the flow of traffic in the construction zones flowing.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mn drivers are no more or less courteous than others [they're generally nicer in person, lol], but the Mn DOT is smarter than the states that permit chaos merging.
This is fair and orderly: win/win.
Plus, it takes all the fun out of it for the bullies who bypass everyone to cut in at the front - something they don't have the huevos to do on foot. Can you picture them pulling it in the bank, or post office?

Sorry, but there are two lanes till the gore point, therefore, there is no cutting into line, because it's called merging.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sorry, but there are two lanes till the gore point, therefore, there is no cutting into line, because it's called merging.
Depends. Merging implies a cooperative effort, with the right-of-way belonging to those already in the lane people are merging into. If most people (save a handful of rude, inconsiderate, self-centered adult children) have already gotten over into one lane, and the other lane is no longer being used (except for a handful of rude, inconsiderate, self-centered adult children), then forward of that point it's no longer merging, it's cutting in line, straight up.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Most of the time, I do what the traffic and driving conditions dictate, rather than what the signs say. :D

If traffic is moving free and loose and there is a 'Merge Now' sign, I'll generally go ahead and merge over into the proper lane. If, however, there is already a single-file lane backed up a mile or two before the 'Merge Now' sign, I'm going to participate in the implied cooperative effort and merge now, rather than waiting until a sign tells me to, or worse, rather than acting independently of the cooperative efforts and instead become a hindrance and an antagonist in the entire ordeal.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I merge when I see the flashing arrow ....I don't like the Zipper effect .. still got the scar as a reminder ....Ouch

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020W using EO Forums mobile app

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I merge when I see the flashing arrow ....I don't like the Zipper effect .. still got the scar as a reminder ....Ouch

Oh boy, hopefully Ragman won't come up with a picture.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Believe me Alcohol was a contributing factor and after more than 35 years it is something you don't forget..

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The thought entered my mind, but . . .

smile03-smiley-smile-male-smiley-emoticon-000180-large.gif

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Depends. Merging implies a cooperative effort, with the right-of-way belonging to those already in the lane people are merging into. If most people (save a handful of rude, inconsiderate, self-centered adult children) have already gotten over into one lane, and the other lane is no longer being used (except for a handful of rude, inconsiderate, self-centered adult children), then forward of that point it's no longer merging, it's cutting in line, straight up.

It's also straight up cutting in line when there isn't supposed to be a merge, but certain lanes [entrances to the interstate, especially] get backed up, and many drivers will not wait in line, because they're special. :rolleyes:

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
i prefer the zipper when it is appropriate, but most people don't know how to do it. it's one thing europeans know how to do properly (but they can keep their roundabouts). i dont have a problem with semis playing cop if they aren't blocking clear access to an exit.

eb