Mercedes Benz Diesel's in a Straight Truck

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
With all the comments about the maintenance regarding Sprinters. Is there a major difference also in the larger engines in a Straight truck. In regards to a USA manufactured engine?. I would think that most shops are familiar with Cat, Detroit Diesel, Cummings.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Not really sure what your ask Bill.
As far as regular maintenance,,I would say not really..Dump the oil and filters regularly,, Run the rack every so often,,,keep a close eye on the belts and pulleys..Do everything ya can do to keep the RPMs as low as possible..Only issue I have had with my motor is while running at a high rate of consumption she has popped the fuel lines off the top of the injectors a few times. Other then that I blew a heater hose once. Been fairly trouble free for me so far.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We have the MBE4000 engine, 450HP. It has almost 780,000 miles on it. So far, knock on wood, we have had no problems to speak of. The shops we have gone into have had no problems with working on it. The ONLY problem we have found so far is finding the air filters. We can only find them at a Freightliner parts store. Oil filters, fuel filters etc. are everywhere.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Layout, try filtermaxx.com.

I have the small Mercedes, MBE 900 with 645k on it. My experience is about the same as posted above. I've only had the fuel line problem once. The fuel economy is pretty good.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Apparently I'm not being clear in my question. I have no doubt that Mercedes engines are reliable.
My question is can most Diesel shops work on them the same as a American product.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
The injector lines popped on my truck at 20k they were part of a recall program and u should have gotten a notice on it but my notice came in a real fuel mess under the hood!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Apparently I'm not being clear in my question. I have no doubt that Mercedes engines are reliable.
My question is can most Diesel shops work on them the same as a American product.

We have had no problem getting work done. There are rebuild kits available.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
The injector lines popped on my truck at 20k they were part of a recall program and u should have gotten a notice on it but my notice came in a real fuel mess under the hood!

Nice to hear about it now..properly won't do me any good now..I never never received anything from F/liner after buying this truck..Nothing,not even a Thank you..Will admit I was expecting at least A hat but nothing ever came thru. :(

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter

Bill sorry if I derailed your thread..:D
I don't have the direct answer for you. Thinking I have heard for a complete rebuild let Detroit DIESEL do it??? I have only heard of one come apart on the smaller MB and it became a boat anchor and was replaced.
I understand ya can hang new bearings and rering the cylinders if done early enough before damage occurs.
Again I not really sure what to do when the time comes..

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I take my engine stuff to the Detroit shop, mostly W.W.Williams. Most, if not all, Frieghtliner shops will have guys trained on them, but I stick with the Detroit shop.

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You didn't say if you were looking for another truck or not but assuming you are, Just make sure you stay away from it if it also has the Mercedes transmission. A couple of horror stories on here about them.

Last edited:

Deville

Not a Member
Has anyone ever driven the old bubble nose Mercedes trucks from the late 70's & 80's? If so what were they like??