Memphis BBQ-- Tops Bar B Q

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Thanks to AnneM for suggesting I try some Memphis style BBQ while I was down here!

If you're laid over in Memphis, ya really should try the food at Tops Bar B Q. They've been in business since 1952, and cook it open pit style, right in the back. They slice off a piece, and chop it up to order. This is 'dry rub' BBQ, not wet like we're used to in the North. They ad a little sauce on top of the meat, then you add the rest. It's spiced just enough to make it interesting, and has a good strong smoky flavor.

For around $5.00 you get a sandwich, fries, coleslaw, or beans, and a drink. For a buck more you upgrade to the jumbo sandwich, which is enough for 2 sandwiches, in my opinion.

There are 14 locations around Memphis, and I went to the one on Bethel Rd, in Olive Branch, MS. They don't have truck parking, but you can park at the Flying J and walk over. They're right in front of the Super 8.

Good stuff!

Dale

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
There is another Top's location in Marion,AR. Take exit 10 off of I-55. If your going north as soon as you get off the freeway there is a Mapco with a little bit of truck parking in the back and to the side and Top's is right next door. If your going south take the exit go under the over pass and you will see it on the right. I think it's a yellow building. I believe the exit says Marion, Wynne, Sunset on it. I know for sure it's exit 10 though.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Tops is tops. Corky's is a real close second, especially for ribs.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Tops is tops. Corky's is a real close second, especially for ribs.

IMO, I think it's ranked like this...

1. Corky's
2. Rendevous
3. Interstate Bar B Q
4. Top's Bar B Q

Top's is still really good but there is a ton of good Bar B Q in Memphis. To me Top's is more of a fast food place. The other 3 are sit down places. Top's also has a really good burger. Top's is good and there are many places I can put below them.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've got all the Corky's programmed into my Garmin. :D

They've got 'em in all kinds of places; Biloxi, Monroe, Metarie, Lexington, Nashville, Jackson, Murfreesboro, Knoxville, Evansville, Jonesboro, even Caruthersville.

I've never tried Interstate. I'll have to put that on my list. But man do I luv Corky's ribs. The Rendevous is excellent, but a little pricey (not that Corky's ribs are cheap). I know that between Corky's, Tops (and Huey's - Blues, Brews and Burgers!), I'm never at a loss for a place to eat in Memphis.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Never really been 'adventurous' trying new things. Might have to change in my old age :)

Dale

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I've got all the Corky's programmed into my Garmin. :D

They've got 'em in all kinds of places; Biloxi, Monroe, Metarie, Lexington, Nashville, Jackson, Murfreesboro, Knoxville, Evansville, Jonesboro, even Caruthersville.

Have you got the Corky's in Little Rock programmed in there?

If you go to Interstate Bar B Q you got to try the Bar B Q Spaghetti. Corky's has some awesome Bar B Q Nachos. My wife and I love them.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Have you got the Corky's in Little Rock programmed in there?
Yeah, the one over there by Markham. I've eaten there several times. There's also an On The Border Mexican place right over by there, which has awesome buffalo fajitas (made with buffalo meat, not with hot wings).

If you go to Interstate Bar B Q you got to try the Bar B Q Spaghetti.
I'm trying to envision how to barbecue spaghetti. Sounds delicious, tho. :D

cannedmeat27

Expert Expediter
If you want some good bbq go to my hometown area
Jay l's bbq us hwy 69 about 3 miles or so south of
pryor,ok
I think some of the best around of course i grew up on it. lol