Medical recert craziness!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks, Treadmill. I wish they'd called it something else, spelling that word "chauffeur' gives me trouble every time, lol. :(

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last week was the first time I had to choose a doc from the registry, and it was an eye opener [literally, lol].
I picked one in Louisville that was away from downtown, where most are concentrated, because I was in the truck. Probably better done when home, with access to a 4 wheeler, if possible, but since I wasn't, I just scoped it out on Google Earth, and showed up on Monday morning. I don't know why I was surprised to find that the sole address listed on the FMCSA site was the Corporate HQ - should have expected that, sigh. The receptionist was very nice, though, and consulted with others to get 2 phone numbers of doctors who are registered, so I called to get an address, and made an appointment. After waiting 45 minutes past the scheduled time, [in a small waiting area with few people, but a really big and loud tv set], I was examined by several people. First, a young guy who did the ht, wt, bp, etc, then the hearing & vision tests. More waiting, then an advanced practice nurse [with an "observer"] who did the rest of the exam, and finally, the bad news: I failed the vision test, with 20/50 in both eyes. I was told to go "get some glasses" and return to retake the test. I blundered into a vision care place while looking for a WalMart with vision care, and, like the corporate receptionist, they were really great. I got a thorough exam by an optometrist, and another surprise: my vision wasn't failing! He found 20/25, in both eyes. And I found that puff of air to the eyeball test is a bizarro feeling, lol.
I took his statement back to the med center, waited another looong time while they discussed it, and what they decided is that I needed to go back to the eye doctor with the actual long form, to have him fill in the vision part [because they wouldn't]. Except they did, and when the eye doctor saw they'd written 20/50 on the form, he got mad, and wrote a big bold NO next to it, lol. He wrote his "uncorrected vision" test results, and signed it in 3 places, just to be sure. [This doc, I like!]
Back to the med center, where they wanted me to retake their vision test, which I flat refused to do - I had no confidence in their test, and didn't see any need to repeat it, once it was overruled. More waiting [did I mention the really loud tv?!] while they discussed that, and then, finally, I got the long and short form. It only took 7 hours, 3 trips to the med center, 2 to the eye doctor, and one to corporate HQ.
And $160 - last time I got one it cost $65. [The DOT exam was $101]
The moral of the story: if you need the DOT medical exam done in Louisville, I would not recommend Norton Medical/Occupational Services. If you need an eye exam, though, Dr Richard Roush [on Hurstbourne Parkway] is terrific.
So, there's that: done for 2 more years, and found a great eye doctor, where I will go when I actually do need glasses, lol. Could have been worse, I spose. :jimlad:

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
After reading about the anticipated changes, I feared an experience similar to what you described. I was lucky. My hometown PCP is on the CDL medical examiner list. It went as smooth as in year's past. I fear many more will have experiences similar to yours than to mine.