Medical recert craziness!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Last week was the first time I had to choose a doc from the registry, and it was an eye opener [literally, lol].
I picked one in Louisville that was away from downtown, where most are concentrated, because I was in the truck. Probably better done when home, with access to a 4 wheeler, if possible, but since I wasn't, I just scoped it out on Google Earth, and showed up on Monday morning. I don't know why I was surprised to find that the sole address listed on the FMCSA site was the Corporate HQ - should have expected that, sigh. The receptionist was very nice, though, and consulted with others to get 2 phone numbers of doctors who are registered, so I called to get an address, and made an appointment. After waiting 45 minutes past the scheduled time, [in a small waiting area with few people, but a really big and loud tv set], I was examined by several people. First, a young guy who did the ht, wt, bp, etc, then the hearing & vision tests. More waiting, then an advanced practice nurse [with an "observer"] who did the rest of the exam, and finally, the bad news: I failed the vision test, with 20/50 in both eyes. I was told to go "get some glasses" and return to retake the test. I blundered into a vision care place while looking for a WalMart with vision care, and, like the corporate receptionist, they were really great. I got a thorough exam by an optometrist, and another surprise: my vision wasn't failing! He found 20/25, in both eyes. And I found that puff of air to the eyeball test is a bizarro feeling, lol.
I took his statement back to the med center, waited another looong time while they discussed it, and what they decided is that I needed to go back to the eye doctor with the actual long form, to have him fill in the vision part [because they wouldn't]. Except they did, and when the eye doctor saw they'd written 20/50 on the form, he got mad, and wrote a big bold NO next to it, lol. He wrote his "uncorrected vision" test results, and signed it in 3 places, just to be sure. [This doc, I like!]
Back to the med center, where they wanted me to retake their vision test, which I flat refused to do - I had no confidence in their test, and didn't see any need to repeat it, once it was overruled. More waiting [did I mention the really loud tv?!] while they discussed that, and then, finally, I got the long and short form. It only took 7 hours, 3 trips to the med center, 2 to the eye doctor, and one to corporate HQ.
And $160 - last time I got one it cost $65. [The DOT exam was $101]
The moral of the story: if you need the DOT medical exam done in Louisville, I would not recommend Norton Medical/Occupational Services. If you need an eye exam, though, Dr Richard Roush [on Hurstbourne Parkway] is terrific.
So, there's that: done for 2 more years, and found a great eye doctor, where I will go when I actually do need glasses, lol. Could have been worse, I spose. :jimlad:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Cheri - OOIDA had been hearing a lot of horror stories and they have a feedback area on their website for the good and the ugly. I would sure suggest you take the time to look at that and give your feedback so others do not go to this place.

The most common practice we have heard is a DOT doctor prescribing a sleep test and oh ya go to the doctor next door for that test.

We will be going through this mess this summer and not looking forward to it.

Here is the link to OOIDA' s front page and the survey link is on the right hand side.

http://www.ooida.com

Anyone needing to get a DOT physical I would suggest looking at OOIDA's page and seeing if there is a review of the doctor you are considering.

Reactions: cheri1122

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Cheri you handled that much better then I would have. A loud TV sets my teeth on edge and I want to lash out at anyone. Great job on not hurting someone and thanks for sharing your story.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why would they order a sleep test, since Congress told the FMCSA in a law that untill there's a rule it's not part of the medical testing. They even told the FMCSA to tell all the doctors this.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I took the test last month it cost me 55.00 I was in and out in less than 10 min. I'd find a new place!!! Dr. Brian ball located behind the ta in canton ohio exit 111 I-77 no appointment needed!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I took the test last month it cost me 55.00 I was in and out in less than 10 min. I'd find a new place!!! Dr. Brian ball located behind the ta in canton ohio exit 111 I-77 no appointment needed!

Cheap and convenient.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Why would they order a sleep test, since Congress told the FMCSA in a law that untill there's a rule it's not part of the medical testing. They even told the FMCSA to tell all the doctors this.

Oh, I dunno, maybe because they have a financial "relationship" with the sleep testing clinic? Or maybe just a CYA precaution, because what Congress told the FMCSA is not part of their knowledge base, but they recall reading that apnea is a huge issue for truck drivers. The long form I got has instructions to medical providers, which doesn't mention apnea, but those providers on the national registry were required to order some discs which provided more detail on the requirements, and who knows what they got from those?
Interesting note: the accepted BMI figure was lowered [I forget when, exactly] to "be more in line with European standards", which were set by a commission, which was heavily invested in the diet industry. Like DaveKC says: follow the money. :rage:

PS thanks to Linder for the link, and to TK for the referral - next time, my primary consideration will be a waiting room with a remote for the tv, lol.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm fortunate that my Doc does DOT physicals. Mine went very well yesterday and as an added bonus I know that my prostate has no bulges!

Reactions: robh2

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Doc ball took one look at me an said BMI check ! This guy I highly reccomend the eye test was just as quick ... Read line 6 .... Pass I'm 63 and wear scratched plastic lens to see

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Just my opinion, BUT I think it best to establish a relationship with a local clinic/Doctor in your hometown, my Doctor is actually a FNP, but she is on the "list' and does a more through exam than the previous "occupational Doctor" I saw for my first medical card. I think if you have a history on file, subsequent exams will be more through, consistent and able to work through any anomalies found ranter than just failing you. This is especially true if like me you are in the Type 2 diabetic category, have high BP or other factors that may limit you to a one year card. Being proactive is a good thing, more than just passing an exam.

TS

Reactions: cheri1122

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Cheri - OOIDA had been hearing a lot of horror stories and they have a feedback area on their website for the good and the ugly. I would sure suggest you take the time to look at that and give your feedback so others do not go to this place.

The most common practice we have heard is a DOT doctor prescribing a sleep test and oh ya go to the doctor next door for that test.

We will be going through this mess this summer and not looking forward to it.

Here is the link to OOIDA' s front page and the survey link is on the right hand side.

http://www.ooida.com

Anyone needing to get a DOT physical I would suggest looking at OOIDA's page and seeing if there is a review of the doctor you are considering.

Interesting: the Advanced Practice Nurse who did most of my exam is not listed on the OOIDA list.....I'd have liked to give some feedback, like: is it relevant [or even appropriate] to write in "Examiner's Comments" things like 'cerumen in ear canal'? Earwax is not an abnormal finding, in small quantities. Or how about "Advised to quit smoking"? [Not a squick about eating all my vegetables, or drinking 8 glasses of water, or getting 8 hours of sleep every night, or avoiding caffeine before bedtime!]
In hindsight, I believe I inadvertently ticked her off, when she asked if I can touch my toes. I said yes, but put palms flat on the floor beside my heels, instead. She blurted "I can't even do that!" [and she's at least 20 years younger, lol] so maybe the snarky comments were payback. All I know is no other examiner has ever added commentary - and I'm glad I don't bite my nails, or that'd be on my record, too, lol.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well lesson learned you did 1st off if you got 20/25 and you drive a tractor trailer you best get Glasses so you can see the back of the trailer I guess driving a straight truck you don't need no glasses. I got 20/20 but and sometimes depending on how tired I am 20/25. For the Record I do wear my glasses and always have even though I don't need them. However mind you because of the last physical I had that was down in Ten below Nashville at the Ta in Antoch TN the man asked me do you were Glasses and after he did my Eye Exam of which I passed and well I said Ya I sure do and and he well since you said you do ou will now have it on your Med Card and I said it Don't bother me none As I have always wore them any way. Oh yes on that day of the Exam I had 20/20 with out the Glasses. Go figure. I didn't do no running around. Tell the truth and that's what you get. Why lie.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Update: just a reminder that you, the driver, are responsible for submitting the certification to your state authorities. Because, with all the drama, I kind of forgot that part, and Ohio "downgraded my CDL to a chauffeur's license" [whatever that means!]
If you submit via fax or email, it can take up to 48 hours to be updated, so don't wait till the last day! Or go in person - then it's instantly updated. :oops:

Reactions: TruckingSurv

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Update: just a reminder that you, the driver, are responsible for submitting the certification to your state authorities. Because, with all the drama, I kind of forgot that part, and Ohio "downgraded my CDL to a chauffeur's license" [whatever that means!]
If you submit via fax or email, it can take up to 48 hours to be updated, so don't wait till the last day! Or go in person - then it's instantly updated. :oops:

If they downgraded your license to a chauffeurs you will not be allowed to drive anything over 26,000 lbs. gvw.