Medical check-ups on the road

Lucy B

Seasoned Expediter
Does anyone have any good ideas on how to handle regular OBGYN visits while on the road? We hardly ever know when and where we're going to be in advance. A couple of months ago I made an appointment with my GYN (he needs at least 2 weeks advance booking) and when I arrived, he was at the hospital with an emergency. I was told they would fit me in the next day, but of course, we were back on the road. Weve been to those drive-in doctor's offices for little emergencies, but I don't think they are really designed for yearly women's check-ups. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We are lucky and our daughter will make an appointment for me when we have planned home time. I hope someone out there has a great idea on how to handle this situation. One of these days I am afraid out daughter is going to kick us out of the nest!!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Lucy: Welcome to the wacky world of expediting! And to EO, also. Scheduling appts is always a headache, the best advice I could give, is to schedule your appt in two weeks, then let your carrier know that you need to be home then. My carrier, and I would think most others, will try to accommodate, though of course, there are no guarantees. If it happens that you can't get anywhere near home when it's a day or two before, you can reschedule the appt, & try again, no? I use the doc-in-a-box places if it can't wait, but I don't know if they have Gyn docs, even.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
For all of our medical and business appointments, including DOT physicals, we've been working to get them scheduled when we know we will be home each year; Christmas. That may mean taking a DOT physical and doing other annual appointments ahead of schedule one time. Then it's every or every other December after that. This technique often means we will not see the same doctor because of his or her vacation schedule, but at least we get into the same clinic.

It also means one trip home, which we'd be making anyway, takes care of all our annual business. That frees us to stay out the rest of the year and avoid multiple deadhead trips home for this appointment or that.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ok, I can't resist: if your truck is your home, where do you have to go, once a year?! Not too far, huh? LOL :+

ATeam

Retired Expediter
> Ok, I can't resist: if your truck is your home, where do
>you have to go, once a year?! Not too far, huh? LOL :+

I know you spoke in good fun but it gives rise to a more serious issue people should know about.

For IRS purposes, if you don't have a home in the traitional sense of the word, you cannot deduct per diem expenses while you are out on the road. My signature slogan is a figure of speech. A truck is not a home for IRS per diem purposes. Neither is a PO Box address.

If the IRS ever asked, we'd say our home is:

1. The the house in which we rent modest living and storage space, under a written agreement, and for which we pay monthly rent; and also in which we physically reside (eat, sleep, spend time, visit with guests, etc.) when we are at that location.

2. The rooms and garage in which we store and access the household goods, keepsakes and equipment that we do not carry in the truck.

3. The property on which that space sits and for which we pay to make annual improvements; namely, driveway maintenance and a tree service to make it possible to enter the property and park the truck.

4. The property on which we paid to install a concrete slab on which to park and work on the truck.

5. The place to which our mail is delivered.

6. The community in which we are church members, maintain and occasionally access a safe deposit box, vote, etc.

7. The place frends and family members understand us to be when it is said, "Phil and Diane are home."

While we spend a great deal of time on the road, we have been very careful to maintain a "home" in the IRS sense of the word. Doing so avails us to significant per diem tax deductions what we would otherwise not be eligible for.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Of course I was teasing, but it's good that you added that - because I didn't know that the per diem doesn't apply, if you have no fixed residence, and maybe others don't know either. And it's usually what you don't know that'll get you in trouble...:eek:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There was an article in one of the trucking mags about the IRS denying the deduction to a couple that lived in their truck. They could come up with nothing to show they had residense. They had claimed 363 days, so this cost them some serious bucks. I wonder what they did on their 2 day vacation.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>There was an article in one of the trucking mags about the
>IRS denying the deduction to a couple that lived in their
>truck. They could come up with nothing to show they had
>residense. They had claimed 363 days, so this cost them some
>serious bucks. I wonder what they did on their 2 day
>vacation.

What I find distrubing is that the IRS will set someone out in front of the house and watch for you to return home to see if you actually live there. They take a dim view of the "I have a house but I haven't been there all year long" excuse for deduction purposes. Most people don't rip up roots and live in a truck so it is not an issue even for per diem deductions, the problem seems to be the fulltimers with the RVs and taking deductions that are intended for truckers and others who make a living on the road.