media

jrgibbs1

Seasoned Expediter
I wish the media like CNN and Fox news and all of the others would stop scaring people to death. It seems like the when ever a small storm forms, it the "killer storm of the century". I have been through worse in a tent.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They do tend to get carried away!!! (carried away? get it?) It has sorta fizzeled wind speed wise. Galvaston is going to get creamed by the storm surge. They are predicting a 20' surge in an area with a 13' high sea wall. Do the math. It is already flooding. Oh well, that is what you must expect if you CHOOSE to live on a barrier island. Layoutshooter

jrgibbs1

Seasoned Expediter
well, it kind of sucks because of this panic has caused fuel prices to rise just because of the **** news. I wish people would start taking responsability for their decisions.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I heard the following on BBC.

The BBC reporters were down there talking about Ike and Galveston.

One Female dim wit reporter came over from N.O. and she was interviewing people leaving.

She walked over to one person asking the standard questions, does she expect to return home? does she have insurance? if it is hard to do it herself without FEMA's assistance? and does she know how hard it is to get out of the area (hinting at maybe she should wait. saying that they were leaving.

When the reporter made the comment about how chaotic it must be to leave with small children and so on, the person said "look lady, get with the program THIS IS TEXAS" slammed the door of the vehicle and started it.

So they cut back to the group of reporters trying to figure what that comment meant. It was rather odd to hear these Brits try to figure it out. Then that reporter caught up to another person leaving and asked her the standard questions and then asked this "I just interviewed an evacuee when I asked if this evacuation was chaotic and said to get with the program because this is Texas, do you know what she meant?"

There was a long pause and then the person said "it means that we are Texans and we are not going to mess around or wait to be told we need to leave. We are capible to get in our d*mn trucks and cars and leave.The people of New Orleans got plane trips, free motel rooms and maybe even trips to Las Vegas, we go get gas, load up the truck and leave. We DON'T CRY, WE DON'T EXPECT PEOPLE TO DO SOMEHTING FOR US, WE JUST DO... that's what it meant."

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I must say Greg, I just did a storm in Baton Rouge and now this one in TX. Texas is head and shoulders above LA for what I have seen at least. Far more organized. They kinda have thier "stuff" together. Layoutshooter

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I must say Greg, I just did a storm in Baton Rouge and now this one in TX. Texas is head and shoulders above LA for what I have seen at least. Far more organized. They kinda have thier "stuff" together. Layoutshooter

Well talking to a former collegue of mine (actually was the guy's boss) who is on Perry's staff, he mentioned that what they did was opposite of what LA did. They took all the info from Rita (and some things from Katrina) and took it all apart to find the defects of the readiness plans and with Perry's support, they modified the plans and set them in stone.

See many miss one thing, when ever you deal with emerguency plans, disaster evacuation plans and all that, if the leadership of the State/City or company not standing behind it, it will fail. Texas has a plan and the plan has the backing of the governor with no BS. LA still has a lot to learn and Gindel is so so so much better than Blanco and should consider removing the POS in N.O.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This may or may not be the storm of the century but it is a very major storm. Nobody goes through this in a tent unless they are about 500 miles inland. The seawall in Galveston is 17' high. The waves are already crashing over it and have many roads impassable due to high water. This is hours ahead of the worst of it. Because of the liberals and tree huggers about 1/4 of the nations refining capability is in the area of this storm. It will certainly have an impact on fuel prices. My home is about 20 miles from the coast. Trivializing something this severe and significant is no more appropriate than blowing it way out of proportion. In the case of this storm it's far closer to fully blown up than trivial.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No one down here is trivializing this one. The wind might not be there for whatever reason but the pressure is low enough to produce a huge storm surge. Your place out of the way of the water? Layoutshooter

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Can't say for sure but think it's safe. During T.S. Allison the water came about half way up the yard and that was the most prolonged rain in our history. This will have more wind threat but hopefully the water won't make it 20 miles in. All we can do is pray and hope for the best.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wish I could help but we are Being Held Hostage here. We are going to have to move in closer to the building in preps for the storm. We most likely will go into the shelter when the main storm hits. That is if we wake up. They have no where for us to sleep in there and that make our own bunks sound much bettter. We shall see how bad it hits here. Right now it sounds as if we will be on the weaker (west) side of the storm. A 15 mile shift to the west and we get the eye. Layoutshooter

bgoveia

Seasoned Expediter
You have to laugh at the on scene news reporters reporting at the beach before a storm with all their foul weather gear on and acting like it's all they can do to keep from being blowed away while in the background people are walking their dogs and looking for shells at waters edge. Personally been through a number of hurricanes, Camille being one, the winds were so strong that it blew the windows out of my car and filled it with seaweed and trash, paint was totally sandblasted off and major dents from blowing debri. I sat inside milatary metal building that was like being in a 55 gal drum barrel during the entire thing, don't want to do that again. Better to get out when the gettins good.

always confused

Seasoned Expediter
having lived in many different parts of the country have gone thru earthquakes, tornados, sand storms, fires, and hurricanes. none of them are any fun when they affect you directly or indirectly. i agree most responsible people will take precautionary steps to protect life and property. what i don't understand is the mindset of those who expect somebody else to 'take care of me' or ignore warnings and then scream 'help'.
too any affected by the storm ... hope things work out for you ok.