Mcp 200 qc

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wonder if this in some way goes with when companies run contests..the rules always state NO Purchase Necessary? You can just walk in and get a roll up cup...it is an open contest...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Read the rules, it has to be in there by law.

I figured that much...If one puts out an open signal is there a legal requirement to buy anything? Especially when some signals go beyond the parking lot into public territory..

example...some fast food places offer free truck parking...no where is there a legal obligation to buy anything...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Now this is not what I am talking about.

Using McDonalds' access point is not an issue but using Fred's paint shop's access point or sitting at home and using your neighbor's access point is.

Neither is the idea that a connection is made, it is the use of the connection. You surfing the web, uploading your paperwork images and so on is using the connection.

I don't have an issue with it because I am of the opinion that if you can't read the instruction sheet and set it up right then that's your problem but the issue I have is a BIG company like Qualcomm stating it openly and knowing well enough that there are legal issues with any device they manufacture seeking out open connections and using them without control or the permission of the person who actually owns the point of access.

I think there have been already some legal action and many of them look at it as a crime. It could be in some states the driver is the one who actually can get into trouble for it - not the carrier, not the manufacturer or not even the owner of the vehicle.

I don't think you can force the units to use the cell systems exclusively, but it is something that could be done with firmware changes.

Oh and amazingly I haven't even touched on cross border usage with Canadian laws.

BUT to reiterate my position - if you can't setup your wifi right, it's your problem.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
yes..Ive sat in many places and you wouldn't believe the open connects with these MiFi phones...not secured...well maybe ya would...:D

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I agree with Greg on the open or closed wifi. If a person chooses to not set it up as closed than that is really their own issue in my mind. Especially considering that they are transmitting past their own property. Many of the new smartphones such as my blackberry automatically grab open wifi. In the same context we have a large nextel signal booster system in our building. Well in reality it is boosting everyones signal in a quarter mile radius. Can I really complain if it is going off my property? Plus many municipalities offer open wifi. Also how would a person know if a place like McDonald's vs Fred's Body Shop cared? For instance we have open wifi at our facility. I could close it so only Load One units could access it, but we leave it open for the benefit of anyone or any carrier. In my mind the fact that you have it open is really the only way to tell.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
We can all say it may be illegal to grab and access a "open wifi" ...anyone have any case law to show it is illegal??

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Chef, yes there is.

John, the problem may be more to do with bandwidth usage than anything else.