MBE 900 oil pressure and usage question

tellico40

Seasoned Expediter
I am troubleshooting my 2004 MBE 900 (460K miles). I have noticed that when climbing hills the oil pressure DROPS. Is this normal? Seems to me the engine would be working harder and the pressure would spike...?
Oil consumption is about a gallon over 12,000 miles. The engine protect system indicated all is normal.
Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

are12

Expert Expediter
We have a 2006 with the MBE 900 (373K) and the oil pressure usually stays the same once it is warmed up even going up hill. If you are burning a gallon of oil, every 12,000 miles, you might want to consider doing the oil changes at 10,000 miles.

Since you brought up the MBE 900, we were curious if you have had any problems with your injector's or unit pumps?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Is this truck a automatic or a manual? If the oil pressure drops, that is a sign of the engine lugging or getting low in its rpm operating range.
Might be why you are seeing oil consumption as that will create blow-by.

tellico40

Seasoned Expediter
The truck is a six speed.

In response to the earlier response, we have not had a problem with the injectors.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Ok....It is running too low in the operating range at certain times. The minute the engine is lugging, you are loosing oil.
Keep it in a higher operating range and the problem will go away.
As presented, the other person has a automatic and it is getting shifted at the proper intervals. That is why they aren't realizing a drop in pressure.

tellico40

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you for the feedback. Please keep the ideas coming. This forum is certainly a great resource.
I am seeking a resource to develop my troubleshooting skills on the diesel engine. Suggestions appreciated!! i will be searching for a diesel mechanic's training course...?
I will continue to review this thread. I will also reference my owners manual and see what rpm is optimal so I am optimizing the power available. Can you give me some signs that would be key indicators of developing problems?
During our regular "check ups", there have been no problems indicated.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Can you give me some signs that would be key indicators of developing problems?

We don't have the MBE 900 in our truck,we are running a Cat C9.But when we detect a slightly rough idle,we know to check the fuel/water seperator filter for water.Once it is drained,all is good again.DD.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK, let's see...

when you are going up a hill? Right?

How fast are you going?

What load is on the truck?

How much does your truck weigh?

6 speed? what gear are you in?

Let's start with those .....

I have a feeling I know what the problem is but first answer the questions.

tellico40

Seasoned Expediter
The truck is a fuller 6 speed manual transmission. The truck can be sailing along at 65 miles an hour about 1850 rpm, oil pressure at about 60psi. As it ascends a small hill loosing no speed, requiring no down shifting, the oil pressure will drop to about 50psi. On steep hills requiring down shifting the pressure drops and hold 50 psi.
The truck is a M2106 max combined weight is 33K lb. The truck can be loaded and empty with the same results.

Thank you for the support.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Couple more questions..

climbing the hill you loose no speed or rpm but loose 10 lbs of oil pressure, do I have that right?

Does the engine temp change at all during this climb?

Have you checked the oil lately...over or under full?

Does the problem get worse or better after an oil change?

What kind of oil are you using (brand name if you could please).

tellico40

Seasoned Expediter
Yes, you have it right.

The only time a temp change has been noted is in the warmer seasons.
The oil level is checked and added if necessary after each fuel up. the pressure fluctuations occur as stated even after the scheduled oil change.

The oil I presently use is Rotella.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK, IF your rpm is not dropping when you go up the hill the only thing that will cause an oil pressure drop is heat. you climb the hill, the turbo spools up and works a bit harder and the piston undersides get hotter and this heat gets dumped into the oil causing it to thin out a bit. Maybe, you have an oil cooler issue, but try the simple stuff first, read on...

The reason I asked the other questions, the oil when it leaves a hard working turbo (on just about any engine) is almost pure foam. IF you have a low oil level, sometimes the additives in the oil that de-foam the oil when it gets back to the pan are not able to do the job and the oil pump might start to suck in a bit of foam (air) which would make you loose pressure. Likewise, if the oil level is too high, you have the turbo making foam AND the crankshaft lobes will be churning the oil too. This will also cause oil consumption.

Rotella is good oil so changing brands is not the answer. I would recommend making sure that the dipstick is correct for that engine. Maybe...you are over filling it without knowing it? The dealership can look up exactly how much oil is supposed to go in to the engine, and then when it's in, see where it lands on the stick and re-mark the full line.

Also, be sure you are allowing adequate time for the oil to drain back when checking it. The most accurate reading you will get on a dipstick is first thing in the morning after a night of sitting ( on level ground too!) Checking your oil when you fuel after a, say, 5 minute shutdown will not give you an accurate reading.

If this only happens when climbing a hill, that rules out a lot of other things, so start with the simple stuff first.

tellico40

Seasoned Expediter
I am checking the dip stick and plan on conducting an oil change within the week. I will update this thread with the results.

Thank you for the support!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Piper,
It's just a guess but I have seen this before on an engine I owned and know that it is a possibility but I don't know if the MBE has this issue anymore, the clearance between the thrust surface(s) and the crank is too high or the thrust bearing for the cam is abnormally worn.

See I don't have access to my manuals while I am freezing here in my cab so I don't know if they use a flanged bearing for the thrust bearing or a separate bearing.

My thoughts are that when the crank is under a higher load, it gets pushed (pulled?) up a bit. You don't see a greater clearance until it is under a load in a direct gear.

Just a thought.....

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anything is possible I guess,

Thrust bearings control fore and aft movement, if putting the engine under load causes fore and aft movement of the crank or cam there are some very ugly things going on. Thrust bearing wear (on the crank) is usually the result of clutch issues or very old age. A 10 psi drop is like 15 thou of wear, that's an awful lot!

But like I said, anything is possible.......