MB900 Engine Troubles

crazytruckin

Expert Expediter
I'm really disgusted with my 2005 FL M2 w/ the MB900 Engine. Has anyone had problems with check engine light coming on and then loss of power? This has happened severeal times in the year I have had the truck. Been in shop 3 times (or more, losing track). First time FL said it was the air filter. Changed it, did OK for a week, started again. Then said it was turbo(only 60,000 mi.). They replaced it. On the road again, same problem again. Changed fuel filter it cleared up. Back on road. Doing it again. Also, using engine coolent, FL said it was a heater hose leak (but NO sign anywhere of leakage).Fixed it!Big surprise, still using coolent. Complained to FL and was told, it could be an internal leak but if they tear the engine down to check and don't find a problem I will have to pay the expensive bill. This truck has 113,000 miles on it now, on the road, got the loss of power problem again and I am losing money with downtime and am really frustrated.
Anyone got any ideas or had the same problem??

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
If I recall right there were some issues with those MB900 engines in Freightliners with improper routing of fuel lines that cause fuel pressure problems and the problem you describe maybe have them check that. Would hope engine under warranty if using coolant for blown head gasket or other internal trouble? Denny

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you bought that from Fr. of Knoxville, and Jon Mosier, I would be on his case every day! If you bought it from Ohio, I have heard that Columbus dealer is terrible: then I would take it to Knoxville. I didn't want one of those for various reasons- especially they are throw-away, parent bore engines. Must be others on this site who have had issues: normally, I have heard they are Freightliner electrical issues. Good luck!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My truck had similar issues. The coolant leak was in the sleeper at a fitting to the sleeper heater. There was another hose clamp beneath the sleeper that leaked as well but that one I saw the dripping and tightened right away. I never could find the other leak in the sleeper but they found it in service. The check engine light is an ongoing issue. Ours stays on all the time but it doesn't cut back the power. There is a new program for the computer according to the dealer in Springfield, IL. where they have the truck in the shop. They were told reprogramming would take care of it. Good luck getting yours corrected.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't think it's a Knoxville truck. Jon does Sterlings not M2's and more importantly Jon is a stand up guy and takes care of his customers. Knoxville seems to have a good service department, at least based on my one time in there, so they might be a good place to get it looked at.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

crazytruckin

Expert Expediter
Truck was bought at Aluma****!! Did have a leaking heater control valve but corrected that problem. Yes, FL will repair leaking head gasket but told me if they pull the head and thats not the problem it will cost me-no way I gonna gamble there. Like I said, they claimed it was a leaking heater hose at firewall, although I saw no evidence of that. The check engine light always does come on when the truck is first started but when I press and release the brake it goes off.I told FL about that problem every time I have taken the truck in for the other problems but they never correct it; But now after going 200-300 miles it comes back on and thats when the power loss starts. Code read low boost pressure and the turbo was changed at 60,000 mi. and now at 113,000 miles its doing the same thing. This sucks!!
Anyway, thats for the replies so far.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Here is a suggestion, just off the wall thought.

I would insist on FL doing a dye test to see where the leak is. Have them put the dye in the coolant and go over the engine and frame to see where the leak is. This may take a few hours to find the leak.

In addition to this I would also get the oil analyzed to see if there is coolant in the oil. If there is I would tell them simply fix the problem, tear it down and find the problem. If not get a lawyer.

Also I am sure that the ECM has a way to read the trouble codes, probably ODB ii. If so I would recommend (if you have a laptop) get an ODB ii interface for the laptop and down load an ODB ii program to read the codes.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>But now after going 200-300 miles it comes back on and thats
>when the power loss starts. Code read low boost pressure and
>the turbo was changed at 60,000 mi. and now at 113,000 miles
>its doing the same thing. This sucks!!
>Anyway, thats for the replies so far.

It sounds like you really need to find a shop that knows how to troubleshoot. A low boost code could be a simple wiring/connector problem or a sensor out of range.

I drove for a company that had a number of earlier (2001) MBE900 units and they had a "Check Engine" light problem that usually arose under heavy load/ hard climb situations. There was never a power loss (engine derating, which essentially is a "self preservation" mode). After numerous trips to the FL dealer, a phone call to FL HQ turned up an ECM reflash as being the cure. Might be worth looking into.

Rex

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would agree that that it could be just electrical or a connection. I would have them recheck everything on the turbo since you had that replaced recently.
Then have it reflashed and see what happens.
If you hit the brakes and it comes on, that sounds like a wheel sensor for the anti-lock brakes. I forgot which years but they had a bullitin on some of these being tied to the engine monitor.
That item is seperate from continous coolant loss. I would agree that even though it may be a small leak, have them perform a oil test for traces of coolant. I would also check the fuel system for any signs of coolant entering the system. A positive test would result in repairs that should be covered under you warranty. Don't let them talk you out of it because it may not die tomarrow or next week, but contaminates in these systems will surely result in premature failure. As mentioned, check for leaks everywhere possible.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

reddog43

Expert Expediter
i had the same problem at around 75,000 miles.
brought to stewart and stevens inc. find locations on internet.
they need to check the erg valve and component.
i have a bad valve and carbon build-up.
this caused a lost of power and a check engine light to come on.
the engine was loosing coolant about 1/2 a gal very 2,000 miles,
i couldn't find the leak.
the mech. at s/s found the leak, it was a hose clamp.
he said the reason i didn't find a leak was that the coolant was evaporating, tighten the clamp, no more coolant lost.
8 months no problems.

good luck

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This is not the first time we've heard of Freightliner dealers that throw parts at the problem instead of diagnosing it first. Go to a dealer or non-Freightliner facility that has a good reputation.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi
Oil anaylis and check the fuel.I don't remember what the stuff is called but I use to buy a reddish colored cream that you put on a yard stick and then stuck down into the tank. If the cream turned colors then the fuel was contaminated. I use to get it from the home heating fuel delivery guy.Also make sure they check the hose clamps while the system is hot.You can try tightening a cold hose clamp and it will seem tight then as soon as it gets hot it will expand and leak.Also have them check the air intake system.A buddy of mine found a red shop rag in the hose going to the turbo.Dealer figures it was sucked into the system right from the factory.

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I can almost guarantee you that you have a bad EGR cooler. They leak internally. You will not have any signs of a external leak. We are in a 05 Sterling with a MB900. And have had three EGR cooler failures. They seem to fail about every 70,000 miles. First time we had no power, check engine light,unexplained loss of coolant. The leaking cooler caused a carbon build up on the EGR valve. Which in turn made it stick. And started logging a fault. The last two failures were just EGR coolers. They have a new version of the cooler out. That is supposed to be the latest and greatest. But only time will tell. you need to go to a Detroit Diesel dealer. They are well aware of the MB900 EGR Cooler failures.

crazytruckin

Expert Expediter
UPDATE-Problem according to Truck Centers, Troy Il is EGR Cooler as expected and also bad turbo. Good news is they diagnosed the problem. Bad news is EGR Cooler on national backorder. Part now is suppossed to be locked up in Canada Customs waiting to be released.Truck has been in the shop now 1 1/2 weeks waiting for cooler. For a 1 truck O/O this is a killer and NO ONE at Freightliner or Detroit Diesel will do anything about it but apologize. BIG DEAL!!!

Frieghtlinemike

Expert Expediter
Factory should offer a loss of use/income policy on trucks for this kind of loss. You can get it on a business owner policy and most homeowner policies have it built in.
(sorry it's the ten years I spent in the insurance business)

PS: I think I will stay with the cat c9 choice on my new truck.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>UPDATE-Problem according to Truck Centers, Troy Il is EGR
>Cooler as expected and also bad turbo. Good news is they
>diagnosed the problem. Bad news is EGR Cooler on national
>backorder. Part now is suppossed to be locked up in Canada
>Customs waiting to be released.Truck has been in the shop
>now 1 1/2 weeks waiting for cooler. For a 1 truck O/O this
>is a killer and NO ONE at Freightliner or Detroit Diesel
>will do anything about it but apologize. BIG DEAL!!!

Dumb question, is the part avalible to a canadian dealer?

If so, maybe someone in Canada coming over here can make a personal perchase and bring it over for you. Just a suggestion.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It might be worth renting the smallest thing Avis or whoever offers and driving up to Canada to pick parts up and bring back. I might also look at what options are available to force compensation or supplying loaner vehicle to allow generating income until repairs are completed.

On a side note, the couple running the Sterling were told during the last PM the EGR needs replacing again.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
EO Forum Moderator
----------

G

Does your truck have the EGR system? Our '06 MBE 900 did the same thing, losing coolant to some unknown place. It turned out the EGR cooler was leaking. I think they also said that when the check engine light comes on and it cuts the power, you have to have the code cleared out of the ECM or it will keep coming back on.

[email protected]

Rookie Expediter
Dear Thread

Did yhou get any answers. I am having the same problem you are describing and still have not found the source of the problem. Did you by any chance attempt to crank more horsepower from your truck? I have to have more power. This engine is a real dog. Thanks, joe hotze