Maybe another change coming?

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
I have seen posts by team drivers, that thought the 5 on 5 off sleeper berth rule was great. My thought is if you are sleepy , then sleep .

jimmy

dalejrroks

Active Expediter
I agree completely however can you actually do that with the new hours of service rules?

Sent from my LEGO Phone using EO Forums mobile app

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I miss the 5x5 rule, even that was too restrictive. Tell me how many hours we can work/drive in 24, then, let us handle our hours to fit how we feel. We know better than ANY government agency or university study will ever know.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I miss the 5x5 rule, even that was too restrictive. Tell me how many hours we can work/drive in 24, then, let us handle our hours to fit how we feel. We know better than ANY government agency or university study will ever know.

I would also like to add that I feel that way about dispatchers at times too

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
For the most part, dispatchers, university researchers and government regulators, have NO real life experience. What do you expect? Competence?

What on earth does "real life experience" [however you define that] have to do with performing the job one is paid to do? I believe 'the boss' has a leeetle bit more relevance...
In reply to your question, yes, I do. And while the results from government regulators are frequently disappointing [ok, infuriating!], the dispatchers I work with now are pretty dam good. They don't like the HOS any more than we do, and for the same reason: it makes a simple job complicated, for no real benefit.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What on earth does "real life experience" [however you define that] have to do with performing the job one is paid to do? I believe 'the boss' has a leeetle bit more relevance...
In reply to your question, yes, I do. And while the results from government regulators are frequently disappointing [ok, infuriating!], the dispatchers I work with now are pretty dam good. They don't like the HOS any more than we do, and for the same reason: it makes a simple job complicated, for no real benefit.

Real life is having driven and doing the job we do. If you don't understand that, you should be a regulator.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I think he is saying he would be terrible at those jobs because he has no experience at them. :D

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I am saying that those who have never done should never rule.

You've never hear of the 'Peter Principle', lol. [Where one is promoted for doing a good job, into a job where the duties are different, and the same one can be quite incompetent].
It isn't necessary for the rule makers to have done the job, [just ask any union, lol], but it is necessary that they understand the reality of it, which generally occurs by paying careful attention to those who actually do the job. FMCSA just doesn't 'get' this.